B1G Officials admit error in Gophers-Buckeyes game.

I very much like suspending the referee. I think that would get to the heart of the problem. Would make referees want clarity for what is considered targeting, too.
I suppose that subconsciously, they don't want to be known as the guy(s) that derailed the tOSU Big Ten money train. 🤑

My guess is the assumption that they will be more likely make an example out of us than the marquee programs. Like when Kill/Claeys teams would get like 3 targeting calls per game.
I can remember a Tracy Claeys coached Gopher team had something like 6 or 7 targeting penalties against NW one year and Claeys got a "talking to" by a very upset Pat Fitzgerald during the post-game non-handshake. Fitz clearly felt that Claeys had done nothing to discourage the Gopher players from leading with the crown of their helmets. I believe we led the nation in targeting calls that year and it wasn't even close.

I can remember a Tracy Claeys coached Gopher team had something like 6 or 7 targeting penalties against NW one year and Claeys got a "talking to" by a very upset Pat Fitzgerald during the post-game non-handshake. Fitz clearly felt that Claeys had done nothing to discourage the Gopher players from leading with the crown of their helmets. I believe we led the nation in targeting calls that year and it wasn't even close.
No, no you can’t remember, because that’s not even close to right regarding the NW game.

It's not just a B1G deal. The targeting penalty is enforced differently from game to game and from crew to crew. it's just too bleepin' inconsistent.

Here's my idea which will never happen:

eliminate "targeting" as a penalty and replace it with "launching."

If the defender leaves his feet and throws his body through the air to make a tackle, that's "launching" and it's a penalty. doesn't matter what part of the body he makes contact with - if both feet are off the ground, it's a penalty.

if the ball carrier or receiver is injured as a result of the 'launching,' then you tag on an ejection.

force players to keep one foot on the ground and promote better tackling mechanics.

it will never happen, but I can dream.

I hear you on the launching aspect....but that doesn't address head to head contact.

I suppose that subconsciously, they don't want to be known as the guy(s) that derailed the tOSU Big Ten money train. 🤑
Could be more than subconscious. Lot's of people have to make decisions at their jobs where either choice carries a risk of being a mistake, and most of us are able to read the room well enough to know which is the "safe" choice and which is the one where your employer will take notice. I bet if these refs were willing to speak honestly, they would say "if I make a call that keeps OSU out of a playoff, and later review shows it was the wrong call, it's going to be a worse day for me than if I make a call that contributes to OSU pulling off an expected win and that call is proven to be wrong." So officials have to make calls, whatever they decide to do, they could be wrong, but it is safer to be wrong one direction than the other. Kind of like roughing the passer calls in pro football. If a star QB gets a season ending injury on a dirty hit and a ref doesn't even throw a flag, the league is going to be pretty angry at that ref. If a QB gets a season ending injury on a big but clean hit that gets a BS 15 yard penalty attached to it, it will just be marked as one of many incorrect call in their game report and no one is going to give it any more attention than "everyone misses a few, this was one of your misses."

Just to be clear, I am not wearing a tin foil hat suggesting there is a secret memo or back room meetings where the conference is telling refs to put the thumb on the scale for OSU. I just think the refs know where the safe ground is.

Could be more than subconscious. Lot's of people have to make decisions at their jobs where either choice carries a risk of being a mistake, and most of us are able to read the room well enough to know which is the "safe" choice and which is the one where your employer will take notice. I bet if these refs were willing to speak honestly, they would say "if I make a call that keeps OSU out of a playoff, and later review shows it was the wrong call, it's going to be a worse day for me than if I make a call that contributes to OSU pulling off an expected win and that call is proven to be wrong." So officials have to make calls, whatever they decide to do, they could be wrong, but it is safer to be wrong one direction than the other. Kind of like roughing the passer calls in pro football. If a star QB gets a season ending injury on a dirty hit and a ref doesn't even throw a flag, the league is going to be pretty angry at that ref. If a QB gets a season ending injury on a big but clean hit that gets a BS 15 yard penalty attached to it, it will just be marked as one of many incorrect call in their game report and no one is going to give it any more attention than "everyone misses a few, this was one of your misses."

Just to be clear, I am not wearing a tin foil hat suggesting there is a secret memo or back room meetings where the conference is telling refs to put the thumb on the scale for OSU. I just think the refs know where the safe ground is.
CYA refereeing. Got it.

Top Bottom