B1G Game 2: Gophers Host Ohio State (12-31-19)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
A VIEW FROM THE FUNHOUSE

It’s possible to view the Ohio State Buckeyes 7-5 (0-1 B1G) as the reflections of a carnival funhouse mirror. Lean a bit left and they are a towering, imposing team capable of bumping off Louisville and hanging with UConn. Slide a bit right and the view distorts to a discombobulated low-rise squad losing at home to the Ohio University Bobcats. The Buckeye roster featuring seven freshmen and one senior seems prone to recurring deformation.

Adding to the watery distortion, during the non-conference season, head coach Kevin McGuff regularly played 10 players. The last player mixed into this rotation was, Oklahoma State transfer, junior guard, Braxtin Miller. Two days before season’s start the NCAA awarded Miller immediate eligibility. She slid into the starting lineup and immediately improved the Buckeyes outlook.

Starting the season with a lot of new faces is nothing new for Ohio State. Last year they imported five grad transfers; but never seemed to get beyond the introductions. OSU was 14-15 (10-8 in the B1G). This season, it’s the seven freshmen and Miller joined by three sophomores. While freshman Rikki Harris has not played (she is probably still recovering from a high school injury) the rest are getting court time.

Three Buckeye Games:

The 68-74 Loss to Ohio University:
Like Minnesota’s first game versus Missouri State, the Buckeyes appeared a little nervous or disorganized in their home opener. It was a back and forth battle, but Ohio was just a bit more efficient than the Buckeyes. The Bobcats were 8-24 from three and Ohio State 4-21). From the foul line Ohio was 20-29 compared to Ohio State’s 14-22. And Buckeyes were a bit more foul prone. (Janai Crooms and Madison Greene fouled out and Aaliyah Patty collected four fouls). OSU rallied from a 53-47 end of third quarter deficit tying the game at 68 with 2:20 remaining. Then the Buckeyes went silent. It was the Bobcats first victory over the Buckeyes and doubly sweet because it was in Columbus.

The 67-60 Win Over Louisville: Cardinals head coach Jeff Walz had a few thoughts in his post-game presser. 1) The Cardinals didn’t play physically. 2) The Cardinals could score at will in the post; but stopped throwing the ball to the post. 3) The Cardinals had trouble defending Ohio State’s diagonal screens and cross screens. In conclusion he thought Oregon, whom Louisville had defeated earlier in the week, 72-62, was a better match up for the Cardinals. Oh yes, one more thing: Ohio State which shot .636 in the non-conference season from the foul line was 19-23 (.826) from the charity stripe versus Louisville.

The 66-50 loss to Purdue: No fun at the funhouse; the mirrors were unkind. The three players whom were suspended for the Sacramento State game returned for the Buckeyes (Croom, Bell and Satterfield); but had little effect. Ohio State was baffled by Purdue’s 2-3 match-up zone and befuddled far too often by Purdue’s pretty token press. The Buckeyes committed 19 turnovers; but the big failure was OSU’s inability to turn many of Purdue’s 23 turnovers into points. The leading scores for Ohio State were Juhasz, 12 points and Patty 8. The Funhouse Mirror Award winner was Mikulaskova; in 15:43 minutes of play she scored 2 points and committed 5 fouls.

In the series: Minnesota has lost 5 straight and 6 out of 7 to the Buckeyes. The Gophers last win was 90-88 in OT in Williams on February 24, 2016. Last season’s home loss capped a four game, seven of eight Big Ten losing streak that was only interrupted by victories over the Badgers. There were notable Gopher performances: Taiye Bello contributed 12 points and 18 rebounds and Destiny Pitts delivered 19 points (5-9 from three). Starting the fourth quarter tied at 43, Minnesota took a 45-43 lead. Then, the Gophers gave up one of those scoring runs that plagued last year’s team. Ohio State scored the next 16 points prevailing 65-55. The only current Buckeyes appearing in the game were Aaliyah Patty, who led all scorers with 20 while grabbing 6 rebounds and Janai Crooms with 9 points. The good news was that Minnesota’s next game launched a six game winning streak. The streak ended in Maryland; but that’s another story.

Wins: (N) Valparaiso 89-38, @ Cincinnati 78-73 (OT), @ Kent State 75-65, (N) Northern Iowa 64-46, Louisville 67-60, Radford 70-57, @ Sacramento State 104-74

Losses: Ohio 69-74, UConn 62-73, (N) South Dakota 53-68, @ Stanford 52-71 and Purdue 66-50.

Probable Starters:

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’4”FSoDorka Juhasz28.013.38.2
6’1”GFrKrierstan Bell21.49.63.4
5’11”GJrBraxtin Miller29.87.53.9
5’10”GSoJanai Crooms27,87.54.7
6’3”FSoAaliyah Patty20.36.75.5

The Bench:

HGTPOSYRPLAYERMINAVGREB
6’4”FFRRebeka Mikulasikova15.57.82.9
5’8”GFrMadison Greene17.95.81.3
5’10”GFrJacy Sheldon24.38,72.4
6’0”GFrKaelynn Satterfield10,72.71.3
6’3”FFrAixa Wone Aranaz14.72.82.3

KSTP: Gopher women riding 11 game winning streak.

Lindsay talks Ohio State and Scalia. Plus there are interviews with Destiny Pitts and Sara Scalia.

A couple of notes from the Gopher Game Notes:
• Minnesota freshman Klarke Sconiers and Ohio State freshman Kaelynn Satterfield were teammates at Christ the King High School in New York.

• Minnesota head coach Lindsay Whalen was teammates with Ohio State assistant coach Tamika Williams during the 2008 WNBA season with the Connecticut Sun.

• The Gophers' shooting percentage on 3-pointers is nearly 90 points better than last year even though they have 78 more attempts this year. The team's current .406 mark on 3-pointers is on pace to break the school record of .399 set in 1988-89.

• Individually, Destiny Pitts is shooting 46.3 percent (37-80) on 3-pointers this year, after making 36.0 percent (27-75) through 12 games a year ago. In addition, freshman Sara Scalia (44.9%) and redshirt junior Gadiva Hubbard (42.4%), who missed last year with an injury, have also bolstered the 3-point shooting.

• Minnesota is also 87 points better on free throws as it leads the Big Ten and ranks 28th nationally by shooting .760 percent from the line. That would tie for the third best mark in program history

Ugh. Not a great shooting or defensive beginning. But 0 fouls committed in that first quarter may help us down the stretch.

Gotta find a way to get into transition, Ohio states size is giving us trouble.

Hubbard is starting to look like a liability. Powell should be playing in her place.

I doubt Whalen can inspire the team and make the proper adjustments at halftime.

6 points down at half isn't insurmountable. But Whalen needs to make some adjustments and they can't shoot under 30% again in the 2nd half or we're cooked.

Finished the half fairly strong, but still skeptical of winning this game.76705C40-E3F2-4C86-A80C-76D0BC7D7BD8.png

It’s 46-44 MIN after the third

Scalia, Hubbard, Adashchyk, and Powell shooting a combined 1-19.

I also thought they should have fouled. Pitts with a good game, except for the last few minutes. She made a couple of bad decisions down the stretch. Brunson hit some key shots. Bello did a great job of rebounding ...and staying on the floor.

Giving up late leads in the B1G is becoming a ....trait?

I was okay with not fouling.

The Real Crunch Time Players; Minutes Played:

38 Pitts
38 T Bello
36 Scalia
34 Hubbard
33 Brunson
14 Powell
5 Adashchyk
2 K Bello

Adashchyk ran down a ball in the corner; but then turned and drove the baseline toward the hoop where she went out of bounds trying to beat a defender. Whalen pulled her immediately. When Adashchyk sat down on the bench and Whalen, arms outstretched was pretty clearly asking her WHY? Adashchyk buried her face in her hands. We didn't see her the rest of the game.

We just made too many WHY plays down the stretch. Pitts had several at the end; although I'll credit some of those to fatigue.

It appeared their size bothered us in the first half. Looks like adjustments were made and we finally took the lead. But clearly fatigue was setting in for Pitts. And Hubbard just couldn't buy a field goal. I noted that we had a 5 point lead with 6:30 to go with the feeling we were going lose this one. T Bello with a double-double and limiting the points of their leading scorer, #14, had a great game. Hard one to lose.

Post Game Quotes:

Minnesota Head Coach Lindsay Whalen

On the final few minutes:

“(Jacy) Sheldon had a huge 3-pointer, and then we had a couple possessions where we had some stuff going to the rim. Offensively it didn’t happen for us and then (Aaliyah) Patty got loose on the back line for the basket that ended up putting them ahead. We got the stop at the end that we needed. They got the rebound and give them credit. Down the stretch, they finished the game.”

On falling after getting a seven-point lead: “
It’s a game where the teams are really close, and everybody is really good in this league. They had the last run and so obviously it’s tough to lose, especially at home, but I’m proud of the way we battled back when we were down in the first half.”

Minnesota junior Destiny Pitts

On her final foul late in the game:

“I knew that they were all sitting in the paint, trying to take a charge on me, and I just tried to go gather the ball, and I guess they called on offensive foul. I can’t really speak much on that, I was just trying to gather the basketball with my left arm. Personally I was (a bit surprised) just because I was just trying to gather the ball. I didn’t think I fully extended but the ref made the call, so I just have to go to the next play.”

On the improvements needed to be made before next game:
“I think that we need to start with a little more intensity, but we played really hard. I think personally, I need to play better down the stretch, I just had way too many turnovers for us to be successful in the Big Ten, but if we stick together, we should be fine.”

Minnesota senior Taye Bello

On the loss, despite her success in the paint:
“Like Pitts said, every night is going to be a battle. There are a lot of big lineups in the Big Ten, so it’s just something that I will have to deal with and get through, and yeah, it was a tough loss but we are going to battle back. We kinda have no choice in the Big Ten because every night is going to be a battle just like this one.”

Ohio State held one of the Big Ten’s highest scoring teams scoreless over the final three minutes of the game and made a number of clutch plays down the stretch to secure a 66-63 victory over No. 24 Minnesota on Tuesday evening.

Destiny Pitts banked in a three-pointer to give the Golden Gophers a 63-59 lead with 2:55 to play. Buckeye freshman Jacy Sheldon answered with a huge three of her own on the next possession and the OSU defense came through when it matter for a second win over a ranked opponent this season.

“We stuck together and made plays down the stretch which was really nice to see,” said head coach Kevin McGuff. “This is a really tough place to play and it’s always tough to win on the road in the Big Ten. I’m proud of how we played tonight and I hope this can help us take a step forward and we continue to get better.”

A winnable game that slipped away. While Pitts first push off was obvious, the second one was wrong. It was no worse than what Crooms or Bell for them had done all night. Gophers are right back to where they were last year. Basically a 6-player rotation. Only player with meaningful minutes off bench is Powell and yesterday with the height of the Buckeyes, she struggled. To be effective, Taiye and Pitts cant be playing 39 minutes a game. They looked spent, especially Taiye going for that last rebound that gophers didn't get and sealed the game. Gophers needed Scalia or Hubbard to put them over the end last night. They could of possibly pulled defenders off Pitts. Gophers seems to be at their best when Pitts and Hubbard are both rolling.

one difference with this year's 6-player rotation and last years was last year they at least had 2 posts. This year its Taiye and 5 guards. If we had a second post, that zone that Patty kept getting behind for layups could of been women-to-women defense and height could of came in handy last night. overall, so far this season has followed the same script as last years. Gophers need to break that in the next few games or they will be heading for another disastrous start to the conference season.

Next game up is at Nebraska on Saturday on the Big Ten Network.

They have good posts, so I’m sure they’ll be able to exploit the Gopher post defense.

The Gophers haven’t played that much on the road but they haven’t lost on the road. Maybe they can make that their thing?

I think Ignatius's post noting the minutes played is pivotal:

38 Pitts
38 T Bello
36 Scalia
34 Hubbard
33 Brunson
14 Powell
5 Adashchyk
2 K Bello

Compare Ohio State's playing minutes:

23 Patty
32 Sheldon
27 Juhasz
17 Greene
39 Miller
16 Bell
26 Crooms
15 Mikulasikova
5 Wone Aranaz

As I recall, the Gophers had several games last year too when they were outscored significantly the last few minutes of the game. Either the other teams are just playing better than we are under pressure, or we're making mistakes due to fatigue simply because we're not deep enough. Bench points in this game favored Ohio State 25-2.

Countering my own argument, the Gophers' shooting percentages by quarter were 23.5%, 30.8%, 36.3%, and 46.7% -- not a sign they were running out of gas. Of course, though, fatigue can show itself in stats other than shooting percentages.

A winnable game that slipped away. While Pitts first push off was obvious, the second one was wrong. It was no worse than what Crooms or Bell for them had done all night. Gophers are right back to where they were last year. Basically a 6-player rotation. Only player with meaningful minutes off bench is Powell and yesterday with the height of the Buckeyes, she struggled. To be effective, Taiye and Pitts cant be playing 39 minutes a game. They looked spent, especially Taiye going for that last rebound that gophers didn't get and sealed the game. Gophers needed Scalia or Hubbard to put them over the end last night. They could of possibly pulled defenders off Pitts. Gophers seems to be at their best when Pitts and Hubbard are both rolling.

one difference with this year's 6-player rotation and last years was last year they at least had 2 posts. This year its Taiye and 5 guards. If we had a second post, that zone that Patty kept getting behind for layups could of been women-to-women defense and height could of came in handy last night. overall, so far this season has followed the same script as last years. Gophers need to break that in the next few games or they will be heading for another disastrous start to the conference season.

You can't pull defenders off of Pitts if they don't get touches in the half court. Last year in the BIG the two man game was with Bell and Taiye and how did that play out down the stretch of each game. Bell went 1 on 1 and forced to many shots and it seemed we lost the lead in over half the games. Pitts was gassed, from the opening play to every play in the 4th it involved her in a high ball screen. It wont take long for good coaches to devise a scheme to take the high pick away from Pitts, it was harder to stop Bell last year because she was so quick.. It reminds me why I don't like the NBA and for as good as James Harden is, it is painful to watch the other 3 or 4 players just stand and watch. Why would you want to play with Harden at Houston?
Penn state did us a favor by trapping late, that played into our strength which is get our shooters open in space. Ohio state did a good job getting us to play in a half court which favors them and their size.
Its over, we need to learn from it and right the ship against Nebraska

Countering my own argument, the Gophers' shooting percentages by quarter were 23.5%, 30.8%, 36.3%, and 46.7% -- not a sign they were running out of gas. Of course, though, fatigue can show itself in stats other than shooting percentages.

> ... Either the other teams are just playing better than we are under pressure, or we're making mistakes due to fatigue simply because we're not deep enough. Bench points in this game favored Ohio State 25-2.

> Countering my own argument ... Of course, though, fatigue can show itself in stats other than shooting percentages.

Re-emphasizing your fatigue argument, @let'sbeclear, I think there's good support for that. As was already noted, the Gophers only went 6 significant players deep (after discounting the two players, Adashchyk and K Bello, with 5 or fewer minutes). These six played a mean of 32.17 minutes each (with a median of 35 minutes).

Computing the same for Ohio State (again, after discounting the one player who played only 5 minutes), OSU went 8 significant players deep for a mean (and median) of 24.5 minutes. Putting it another way, the 8 significant OSU players got an average of 15.5 minutes each of bench-time rest during the game; whereas the 6 significant Minnesota players got an average of 7.83 minutes each of bench-time rest during the game. In reality, Scalia got 4 minutes of bench rest, and both Pitts and Bello got 2 minutes of bench rest during the entire 40-minute game. That's a heck-of-a-lot more lactic acid per Gopher player in the fourth quarter. See https://www/.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/exercise-and-lactic-acidosis

That might explain how the go-ahead/winning bucket got scored by Ohio State, namely that the Gophers were too spent to mount a situation-aware/energetic/effective defense against the OSU inbounds play in the last couple minutes. Brunson, who otherwise had a great offensive game, might perhaps have been a bit spent by that time. She was in the back ostensibly guarding Patty. But Patty sprinted around her and headed right into the paint, unguarded, for the easiest layup we could have possibly given them. Not even any screen. She just bolted for the layup, and nobody there to defend her, because Taiye's attention was occupied by Juhasz.

I don't want to pick on Brunson too much, because there's plenty of blame to go around throughout the entire game. For instance, besides Brunson getting caught napping, after mounting what was a pretty awesome last-second defense, not a single player of the five had the energy to grab the rebound. Or maybe it was just a bad bounce off the rim, I don't know.

I'll posit the following 7 potential ways that the Ohio State game could have ended up more favorably (namely, in a win for the Gophers):

(1) If the referees don't make (what I believe to be) that last bad call on Destiny Pitts (and although I didn't get a good view of it live and can't find it on the highlight reel, her post-game comments plus other posters' comments convince me fairly strongly that it was a bogus call), then we got a great chance of scoring and thus putting them in the need-to-foul situation instead of us, and we have a good chance of winning the game.

(2) If our bench was deeper so that we could rest our starters more during the game, so that we had a much-more rested starting-five in the game for those last 6 minutes (from the point where we were up by 7), then I'm pretty confident that we would have won the game.

(3) If, in spite of the fact that we don't have a deep bench, Whalen had (crossed her fingers and) went deeper into her bench anyway - thus giving the starters more rest - then I'm pretty confident that we would have won the game.

(4) If our guards were taller, they might have been able to avoid some of the 6 blocks in which they penetrated the paint well, but got stuffed by the taller Ohio State players. Plus other paint-penetration shots that they took had to be altered significantly to avoid the block, turning a straightforward (makeable) shot into a difficult shot. We had one block (by Taiye) to their six blocks, a delta of 5 blocks. If any one of those blocks was not-a-block but goes into the hoop instead, we win - or at least have them in a need-to-foul situation with seconds left in the 4th quarter, as opposed to us being in that predicament.

(5) If only our guards had dumped off the ball more often to Taiye in the paint (as opposed to taking an acrobatic shot or getting blocked) then certainly we would have won. Guards, why are you not feeding our most reliable scorer? She only got 7 shots off the whole game, and either made or got free throws off-from most of the times that she was given a pass in the paint (including that awesome full-court baseball pass by Scalia). In contrast, Juhasz got 11 shots off (but scored less points than Taiye did off her 7 shots). Plus Patty (see number (6)) got 6 shots off. What gives, guards? In a game in which you're penetrating into the Ohio State tall trees, why aren't you dumping the ball off to your best in-the-paint player a sufficient amount of times?

(6) If we had been effective in defending against the "Patty Machine," then we certainly would have won this game. Patty shot a perfect 6-for-6 on the game (one triple, the rest two-pointers), including the game-winning score that we gave her on a silver platter by sleeping on an in-bounds play. Besides her three-pointer, all five of her two-point buckets were layups. And most of those layups were pretty much given to her by means of bad Gopher defense. That includes numerous times that she slipped in behind the zone, coming in along the baseline un-noticed (until too late) so as to score an easy layup. Plus she got 10 rebounds.

The way to defend against the 6'3" Patty would have been not to expect Taiye to defend against both 6'4" Juhasz and Patty at the same time. Taiye did an awesome job defending Juhasz, largely taking her game and typical points away from her, and outrebounding her 10-2. But it's simply unreasonable to expect one 6'2" player to simultaneously defend against both a 6'4" player and a 6'3" player (who is fast and has a tendency to slip inside the back-side of the zone). The way "not to expect Taiye to defend against both Juhasz and Patty at the same time" would be to (at least for some small fraction of the 40-minute game time) give her a little post help off the bench (see points (2) and especially (3)). Although they made some free-throws, Hubbard and Powell and Adashchyk were a combined big-O for 15 from the field in this game in a combined 53 minutes. Does anybody think that, if a mixture of K. Bello and Sconiers had been put into the game (that is, in addition to T. Bello, not just subbing for her for a few minutes) for some fraction of that largely wasted 53 minutes of playing time (thus adding rebounding and taking defensive pressure off Taiye), and been allowed to share (say) 10 of those wasted 15 shots among themselves and Taiye, that one or the other of Sconiers and/or K. Bello and/or T. Bello would not have been able to score at least one extra bucket (plus replace the relevant part of the above guards' free throws)?

Even taking a possible extra Taiye shot out of the equation (since we covered that in number (5)), I computed what the probability is, of the hypothetical scenario in which a combination of K. Bello and Sconiers (given enough playing minutes) took a total of 10 shots, but missed all ten of them. That probability = 0.00001694. In other words, impossible for all practical purposes. Or equivalently, the chances of one or the other of these two making at least one shot, given the opportunity to take ten shots, is equal to 99.9983%. In other words, it's almost certain that they would have made at least 2 points, if given the opportunity to take 10 of those 15 wasted guard shots. We only needed two more points to win that game. It was thus a virtual certainty that we would have won the game, under the alternate reality that we had benched the guards that couldn't hit a bucket, and instead let K. Bello and/or Sconiers take 10 of those wasted shots in the span of sufficient minutes to take those shots.

Shot opportunities are as valuable as gold. They should not be wasted on guards who are shooting 0-15 in this particular game. Not when two post players, whose height is also desperately needed, are sitting on the bench, and both have season-to-date shooting percentages of .667.

(7) If we had been more effective in scoring points off turnovers, then I'm pretty confident that we would have won the game. For some crazy reason, it seemed like many of the various difficult shots we took after getting an OSU turnover couldn't find their way through the net, whereas when OSU got turnovers off us, they were always ending with an acrobatic shot that went in. Ohio State got 20 points off turnovers; whereas Minnesota got only 8 points off turnovers. Since we only needed two points to turn-around the final score into a Gopher win, if we only had scored one more time off those turnovers that we forced on Ohio State, we win. On the other hand, the turnovers per se were pretty even - Minnesota had 16 and Ohio State had 14. Look at the turnovers by quarter ...

1Q Turnovers: OSU 7 turnovers, Minnesota 2 turnovers
1Q Score MN 12 - OSU 16 (OSU takes quarter)
2Q Turnovers: OSU 5 turnovers, Minnesota 5 turnovers
2Q Score MN 16 - OSU 18 (OSU takes quarter)
3Q Turnovers: OSU 1 turnovers, Minnesota 6 turnovers
3Q Score MN 18 - OSU 10 (Minnesota takes quarter)
4Q Turnovers: OSU 1 turnovers, Minnesota 3 turnovers
4Q Score MN 17 - OSU 22 (OSU takes quarter, Minnesota loses game)

It seems rather counter-intuitive, but (for example) in the first quarter Ohio State out-turnovered us 7-2; yet they still outscored us 16-12. This was obviously a quarter in which we didn't get as many points off those 7 turnovers as we should have (e.g., if we got two points off each of those turnovers, that would be 14 points right there, compared to the 12 points we actually scored in the quarter - which is mostly non-turnover points). I suppose, chalk it up to bad shooting by the Gophers, see ...

> ... the Gopher's shooting percentages by quarter were 23.5%, 30.8%, 36.3%, and 46.7% ...

Also strangely, the reverse situation holds in the third quarter, where the Gophers out-turnovered Ohio State 6-1; yet we managed to outscore them 18-10 in the third quarter. That's when we continued the comeback started in late 2nd quarter, and took the lead.

The three Gopher turnovers in the 4th quarter (two in excess of OSU's one turnover) had a big impact on the final result of a loss to Ohio State. In fact, the Gophers were winning the quarter right up to the point of 6 minutes left in the quarter, and then a combination of Gopher turnovers plus a bad (tired?) Gopher defense (including napping on an important OSU in-bounds play) plus good OSU offense let Ohio State eek out a one point lead that they turned into victory via lack of a Gopher rebound on that last defensive stand.

And one of those excess Gopher turnovers in the fourth quarter was arguably due to a bad call by the referees (see number (1)).

Last edited:

The similarities between the end of the women's game against Ohio State and the end of regulation in the men's game against Purdue are uncanny. After going up by four points with 2:55 to play, the women were outscored 7-0, making two turnovers to Ohio State's none. After going up by five points with 3:20 to play, the men were outscored 5-0 in regulation, making three turnovers to Purdue's none. Ouch and ouch!

The similarities between the end of the women's game against Ohio State and the end of regulation in the men's game against Purdue are uncanny. After going up by four points with 2:55 to play, the women were outscored 7-0, making two turnovers to Ohio State's none. After going up by five points with 3:20 to play, the men were outscored 5-0 in regulation, making three turnovers to Purdue's none. Ouch and ouch!
Agreed!

Top Bottom