B1G Game 10: Gophers Host Penn State (1-31-24)

Coach P lighting up the ref on that last sequence with Owusu . Hope it works. Holloway giving us a spark !

Penn State was more ready to play, much quicker, much older, and better shooting this game. Coach P has some work to do. She keeps saying the focus is on D, but at some point we need to work on the offense being a little quicker and aggressive. Seems like all other teams are able to find their cuts. I see 3 people watching 1 dribble too many times.

It is the result that we feared but hoped wouldn't happen. PSU dominated the boards in the first quarter and were too fast for the Gophers. PSU's 3-point shooting was outstanding. On the other hand, the Gopher defense was erratic. I felt like Hart and Heyer are worn down by the season. The Gophers stand around on offense. They can't make quick decisions. When someone gets the ball, they hold it, hold it, and hold it. They allow the defense to get set. They need a lot of practice with their new lineups so that players can learn how they can help the team the most.

Are we Braun dependent? Very much. so! Battle appears to prefer to dribble and then comes indecision. I'll take Sanders, Heyer, and G$$! Hart gets 18-22 minutes. I like Johnson alot.
Penn State is a solid team. They move the ball well and shoot well.
We appeared lost. It didn't help that our shots wouldn't fall. G$$ is a smart player with many skills. Sanders is too plus very smooth.
Hart makes me wonder about her hoops IQ. On offense she has her player boxed out when we are driving towards the hoop. Hart moves and allows the defender to get in front of our drivers. Thus no score and no rebound.
I understand that our players have new roles.
I'm sure Coach P has many decisions to make offensively.
Our defense was solid. Penn State has some sharp shooters and they were hot. We out rebounded them. Each team with 15 turnovers. Battle had 8 turnovers.

Well I'm sure adjustments will be made.

SKI-U-MAH

It has to be frustrating for GG and Heyer. They can be wide open or first down the court, and Battle and Sanders either ignore them completely or deliver the ball too late. Too much hero ball by our guards.

Life without Braun.

In accounting terminology, the rest of the season record is a write off loss, in regards to wins and losses. It doesn't matter what happens future games because it was already written off, in regards to wins losses. I am not going to lie. Team was in the NCAA tournament per bracketology and now they are not.

Most of the reserves are freshman. It's not realistic with such a young team. Not long ago the team was down to 3 returning players, 2 of whom were injured virtually the whole season. They restocked with youth.

So then it is about players growing older and personal improvement.

PSU has length and speed and a lot of confidence in their shots. They are where we want the Gophers to be. I thought the Gophers played hard and you can tell they don't like losing but some mental mistakes are happening on defense on where and when to help, that and 50% on free throws is not going to work in Big 10 play. Gophers look a little leg weary to me. When Battle drives she needs to kick it out to GG or Heyer when they are collapsing three and cutting her off and they gotta convert. I like Battle good defender, needs to better on connecting on passes. Dont let the doubt creep in if you miss a shot, Gophers dont win without Battle. Maggie C has to better at using her long arms to disrupt passes. I know Holloway is coming off the knee thing but when your playing athletic teams like PSU, MSU or Ohio State you need to have athletes like AJ and Holloway on the floor little more. Hart and Heyer seem really tired right now, GG a little bit too. To me you have heck of an athlete in Holloway you need to find some mismatches and get her to score. These women want to win and have the desire to be better you can see that. The want too and desire are established. Need to be smarter about shot selection and have to convert the really open looks for success. Still learning what winning basketball takes. GG impressed me on her drives to the basket, more of that please.

Last edited:

It was unerving to hear that Penn State player screaming. I am somewhat close. I feel bad for her.

Holloway couldn't even look that way. She sat on the edge of the court facing the Gopher bench. It seemed to bring back some bad memories

Last edited:

Gophers have 3/4 players averaging 30+ minutes per game. That is a lot and I think it is wearing them down. You look at Iowa who has steady rate recruits and besides CC at 33 min, you have their other core 5 at 20-26 min/game and next line of 4 getting 9-14 min/game. Yes, maybe because they are able to rest more with big leads, but that is also the point. Coach P needs to find more ways to get more involved.

It is the result that we feared but hoped wouldn't happen. PSU dominated the boards in the first quarter and were too fast for the Gophers. PSU's 3-point shooting was outstanding. On the other hand, the Gopher defense was erratic. I felt like Hart and Heyer are worn down by the season. The Gophers stand around on offense. They can't make quick decisions. When someone gets the ball, they hold it, hold it, and hold it. They allow the defense to get set. They need a lot of practice with their new lineups so that players can learn how they can help the team the most.
This.

I will take the over in the regular season. Coach P is a good coach, and the schedule provides some good opportunities for wins.
I got them on 3 wins the rest of the way.

Top Bottom