B1G Dominating the ACC

I never cheer for my best competition to gain recruiting advantages
Really? Don't you want the BIG best to get to the Final Four and maybe a Natl. championship? That helps everyone is the BIG.

Minnesota has to establish its own ID and success in the recruiting wars. Not hoping that the competition falters.
'

Really? Don't you want the BIG best to get to the Final Four and maybe a Natl. championship? That helps everyone is the BIG.

Minnesota has to establish its own ID and success in the recruiting wars. Not hoping that the competition falters.
'
I'm still upset about losing that recruiting battle for Edey.....

'
Hoping the competition falters and hoping Minnesota succeeds are two completely different things that are unrelated

Hoping the competition falters and hoping Minnesota succeeds are two completely different things that are unrelated

Huh? So next year when the Gophers have a possible shot at the NCAA tournament, you're still going to cheer for Big Ten teams to lose? Let's say they do lose, and the teams are awful in the non-conference. Because of that, the NCAA gives the Big Ten only 3-4 bids (pretty much what the Pac-12 has been getting for awhile now). The Gophers shock the Big Ten and finish 5th, but now they don't go to the tournament. There just wasn't enough quad 1 victories to be had. If only the Big Ten would've performed better in the non-conference...

If you want the Gopher program to be strong, then you should want the conference to be strong, as it provides more opportunities for resume wins... and greater odds of getting to the NCAA tournament.

Huh? So next year when the Gophers have a possible shot at the NCAA tournament, you're still going to cheer for Big Ten teams to lose? Let's say they do lose, and the teams are awful in the non-conference. Because of that, the NCAA gives the Big Ten only 3-4 bids (pretty much what the Pac-12 has been getting for awhile now). The Gophers shock the Big Ten and finish 5th, but now they don't go to the tournament. There just wasn't enough quad 1 victories to be had. If only the Big Ten would've performed better in the non-conference...

If you want the Gopher program to be strong, then you should want the conference to be strong, as it provides more opportunities for resume wins... and greater odds of getting to the NCAA tournament.
Agreed*. Wisconsin and Iowa excepted. They can lose every game.

I've always been the guy that, with very few exceptions, wanted the team that beat my team to go on to win everything. Rather lose to the champs as opposed to saying you lost to the team that wasn't good enough to advance very far.

Of course, I guess I could claim that the refs screwed us and that's why we lost, but that's usually the excuse that losers tend to use a lot.

Will always root for the Big Ten conference to win, if it isn't against the Gophers.

Except Nebraska. They never deserved to be added, and I still hold on to the slimmest sliver of hope that they'll voluntarily leave.

So you would rather be a fan of a team like Gonzaga that feasts on cupcakes all year long instead of watching some real games?

So you would rather be a fan of a team like Gonzaga that feasts on cupcakes all year long instead of watching some real games?
I’m a gopher fan? I don’t understand your question

The B1G Wins Again, and Again, and Again. Three in a row. That's one more win than the AAC has had in the entire last decade. :cool03: 🏀

1638551532454.png

Yeah, I can't help it. Most times when I see another Big Ten team losing it brings a smile to my face. For some reason that I don't completely understand, I don't feel that way in bowl season when I generally prefer to see the Big Ten teams win.

Yeah, I can't help it. Most times when I see another Big Ten team losing it brings a smile to my face. For some reason that I don't completely understand, I don't feel that way in bowl season when I generally prefer to see the Big Ten teams win.
When I see wisconsin or Iowa win, I don’t like it

many one else I am pretty indifferent

I think the obvious counterpoint to this is that winning more games and earning a higher conference finish, or possibly even winning the Big Ten, is easier when the Gophers’ opponents are bad. Who’s to say that the Gopher team that finishes 5th in a year where the Big Ten gets 4 NCAA bids wouldn’t finish 9th in a year where the Big Ten is strong enough to get 8 bids?

When I see a future opponent take a bad loss, that tells me that that game may be more winnable than I originally thought. Take the Indiana football team this year. That looked like one of the tougher games on the schedule this year, a road game against a top 20 team, a game the Gophers would likely be underdogs in, and have a hard time winning. Then they started losing to everyone, and we learned that that game would not be as tough as it first seemed. The Gophers won the game comfortably and got a win more easily than we expected at the start of the season. They went 8-4, but might have only gone 7-5 if Indiana were actually a top 20 team. Granted strength of schedule is practically meaningless for postseason placement in football outside of instances where a bunch of teams with identical records are vying for playoff seeding.

If you look at it from the point of view of “The Gophers are going to finish 5th in the conference regardless of how many big non conference wins their opponents get,” then yes, 5th in a strong conference is better than 5th in a weak conference.

I view it more as “The Gophers appear to be the 5th best team in the conference, but if Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue are all dropping multiple buy games at home, then I’ll have to reassess my initial projection. The Big Ten is weaker at the top than I thought it was, and Minnesota could actually win it, which is exciting for me as a fan.” Finishing at the top of a weak conference probably feels better than finishing in the middle of a strong one. And having an 800 pound gorilla like Ohio State football at the top isn’t super fun either.

Cheer for who you want to, I generally somewhat cheer for Big Ten teams in the NCAA tournament or bowl games, but I really don’t think it’s clearly and objectively good for Minnesota that our opponents be as strong as possible. A team like 2019-20 Minnesota basketball, which had a top 30 Kenpom ranking, but lost a ton of close games against evenly matched opponents and finished with a 15-16 record, might have been better served playing somewhere like the PAC-12 where they can easily get a winning conference record and maybe make the tournament.

Top Bottom