B1G Commish Kevin Warren on the Tenuous Nature of this Season

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

First:

The move underscores the tenuous nature of this season, which coaches have been pessimistic about for weeks as large COVID-19 outbreaks have disrupted workouts from coast to coast. “I am very concerned about the season,” Warren said. “I’m an optimistic person, but I am very concerned. We want to take one step at a time.”

Warren said there wasn’t a seminal vote or moment that spawned the decision, but rather weeks of conversations with presidents, athletic directors and coaches that eventually led to the decision. Warren said safety is the priority, pointing out that the Big Ten formed a Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases in March.

Along with football, other Big Ten fall sports moving to conference-only schedules include men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball.

Second:

Warren also stressed that the Big Ten will make all summer athletic activities voluntary. (These are in the upcoming weeks, not including football camp.)

Warren said that any student-athlete in the Big Ten who makes the decision not to participate in their sport in the 2020-21 academic year due to concerns over COVID-19 will have their “scholarship honored 100 percent” and will remain in good standing with the university.

Top Bottom