Austin Hollins of Germantown TN

In terms of weighing Devoe Joseph's experience and development in his freshman year, one would think that Devoe's own opinion would have more sway over his brother than an AAU coach occasionally watching on tv from 1,000 miles away.

Reading between the lines from what has been written, though, it sounds like Minnesota coaches indeed are frustrated with the advice and "handling" Corey has been getting. We were one of the very first schools to start recruiting him, long before he vaulted up the rankings on the recruiting services and started getting national attention. He fits the one big need we have and could play right now, and with his brother here and being relatively close to Canada, would have every chance to be comfortable and therefore successful.

In other words, Minnesota coaches probably know it's a great fit and probably are frustrated at the lack of traction we're getting.

Occasionaly you read things like an AAU coach steering players to or away from programs. I don't buy it. What 18 year lets an older adult impact their decisions, even parents. I would guess that the vast majority make the decision on their own and the influence is mythical.

I couldn't disagree more.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is not mythical. It happens and it happens a lot.

Not every AAU coach is a bad guy or has ulterior motives. Some, in fact, think what they're doing is in the best interest of the player. Some AAU coaches are looking for a payday or a job and view some of these kids as a commodity but there are others who genuinely want the best for the kids and some have a hard time letting go of a kid's development they've (in some instances) have had a hand in since elementary school. Parents are no different in either of those respects. I know a former player's mother once took out a media guide and publicly compared the minutes and stats her son was getting to past Freshman.

We are very spoiled in Minnesota to have some very, very good AAU programs and coaches who really do have there kids best interest at heart. Sure there are a couple people who have been trying to land college coaching jobs with the schools recruiting there kids, but that is not the norm. My experience in dealing with and from what I've heard and seen with Pulley, 43 Hoops, Net Gain, Comets, Magic(too early to say on Pump) has been very positive and for the most part, they really try to help the kids find the best fit and don't let there personal biases get in the way.
I have never heard of Ro Russell looking for a payday but the word on him is that he wants to place his kids at the biggest programs with the most exposure and get them to the NBA as quick as possible. Then guess who would be there agent/advisor. Russell wants to get his name out there as much as possible and he loves it when the Pitino's and Calipari's kiss his ass. Whether people like it or not, coaches like Bo Ryan and Tubby just don't play those games. Of course it has hurt us in recruiting. It's no coincidence that alot of the guys we have been recruiting have dads whose names we all recognize because they are either coaches or former players that Tubby has known and they usually control there kids recruitment.

I was once told by a coach that the key to recruiting is identifying "the decision maker" and courting them- whether it be a parent, sibling, relative, or a coach. There's usually one person in the circle with their finger on the trigger that the 17 year old will follow.

Top Bottom