Austin Booker

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I was scrolling through a cbs sports mock draft when Booker's name popped up towards the end of the second round. I hadn't realized that he had vaulted his stock into this territory, but it looks like he had a pretty solid season at Kansas and the brief scouting report I read spoke to his solid foundation and technique (maybe I'm taking liberties, but assuming that some credit goes the way of Gopher coaches on that). Too bad he didn't stick around last year, it seems he really could have helped the defense.

I believe he was injured much of the time with the Gophers. That must be the reason he didn’t play much.

I was scrolling through a cbs sports mock draft when Booker's name popped up towards the end of the second round. I hadn't realized that he had vaulted his stock into this territory, but it looks like he had a pretty solid season at Kansas and the brief scouting report I read spoke to his solid foundation and technique (maybe I'm taking liberties, but assuming that some credit goes the way of Gopher coaches on that). Too bad he didn't stick around last year, it seems he really could have helped the defense.
He was first team All-Conference in the B12 and the KU game I saw against Texas Tech, he was dominant on D; the analyst said he’s definitely a Sunday player, I didn’t realize he was draft eligible.

The good, glad he was successful @ Kansas & PJ can judge talent. The bad, wished he had stayed. As a True Gopher fan says "better to see him succeed @ another college than fail with us" putting the player ahead of a fan's self interest. That door swings both ways as some of our incoming transfers have launched their play here to the NFL. Booker will be drafted as he is very athletic, high motor, no character issues with love for the game. Will follow his combine journey.

I don’t recall him being hurt. PJ plays favorites and if a kid isn’t a FAMILY guy it’s an uphill battle. He would have made a major difference in our D this year. Our ends are not good pass rushers.

I don’t recall him being hurt. PJ plays favorites and if a kid isn’t a FAMILY guy it’s an uphill battle. He would have made a major difference in our D this year. Our ends are not good pass rushers.
I buy this.

PJ and his entire ethos and way he does, is 100% live by him, die by him.

If a kid isn't a FAMILY guy, why is he coming to Minnesota? I would think Fleck is pretty clear on the type of recruit he's looking for. If PJ is playing favorites, being a FAMILY guy or not shouldn't be an issue. My 🪙🪙

He definitely could have helped us this past season. Would have been a force. He was 2nd in the Big 12 in sacks, I believe.

That said, he redshirted in 2021, that's not uncommon. He was skinny for a DE, needed to add strength and weight. He didn't play much in 2022, but had 3 NFL guys playing DE (Mafe, Otomewo, Rush), plus 3 guys a year older getting some decent run (Striggow, Logan-Redding, Joyner). Should he have played more? Maybe so. But, he transferred.

He would have played A LOT in 2023 for the Gophers had he stuck around. But, off he went. His family connection also left the coaching staff (Chad Wilt), which likely helped the transfer process along.

It was always evident to everyone that he was a player with a bright future. It was just a matter where he wanted to play. Turns out, it wasn't here.
This is exactly what I recall hearing about him. And that he had big potential as a pass rusher. Those are exactly the guys we need to keep.

This is exactly what I recall hearing about him. And that he had big potential as a pass rusher. Those are exactly the guys we need to keep.

I screwed up some of that that post. Boye and Big O were gone in 2022. So, he probably could have (should have played more) in 2022. I'm sure that was frustrating for him, plus the other factors.

But, had he stuck around, he would have played a lot last year. But, he didn't stick around.

If a kid isn't a FAMILY guy, why is he coming to Minnesota? I would think Fleck is pretty clear on the type of recruit he's looking for. If PJ is playing favorites, being a FAMILY guy or not shouldn't be an issue. My 🪙🪙
Agree and every coach has rules. To act like PJ is the only coach that has rules that they enforce is silly. And for all we know he left for other reasons. I like that our coach holds our team to high standards.

Austin Booker is bulking up while expecting to run well​

Kansas EDGE Austin Booker said he’s up to 245 lbs. and wants to run a 4.55 40 (secret is out on him).
He mentioned his interview with the Dolphins as one of his favorite interviews so far bc of the staff.
— Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler) February 28, 2024
I wish him well.

If a kid isn't a FAMILY guy, why is he coming to Minnesota?
Until you're actually here, in the locker room, a recruit probably has no idea what it really means. Hears Fleck's schtick and thinks "yeah OK, whatever" but it gets real when you're here.

First team All-Big 12.

For a guy who just signed an extension for $7M/year at Kansas. How much does Fleck make?

You tell me.

We're acting like the guy was stuck behind lesser players for years, he transferred after his RS-FR season. He got some run as a FR but was essentially behind Jay Joyner who will very likely play in the NFL.

Booker put it all together at Kansas and I'm happy for him. He was always a freak athlete but he didn't leave MN after being buried on the depth chart for 4 seasons behind some bum.

Until you're actually here, in the locker room, a recruit probably has no idea what it really means. Hears Fleck's schtick and thinks "yeah OK, whatever" but it gets real when you're here.

First team All-Big 12.

For a guy who just signed an extension for $7M/year at Kansas. How much does Fleck make?

You tell me.
Money aside, it's still a Booker issue, not a Fleck issue. Are you suggesting Fleck should change his culture because a player that signed to play here didn't think his "schtick" was really who he is and what he believes in?

I'm all for Booker leaving and looking for a better fit elsewhere, but suggesting Fleck was playing favorites because Booker didn't buy into the culture is not the way I see it.

EDIT: If that is why in fact Booker left in the first place, which as far as I can tell is speculation anyway.

Money aside, it's still a Booker issue, not a Fleck issue. Are you suggesting Fleck should change his culture because a player that signed to play here didn't think his "schtick" was really who he is and what he believes in?

I'm all for Booker leaving and looking for a better fit elsewhere, but suggesting Fleck was playing favorites because Booker didn't buy into the culture is not the way I see it.

EDIT: If that is why in fact Booker left in the first place, which as far as I can tell is speculation anyway.
You’re right, it’s speculation.

All we know is that he would’ve been huge for us last season. Oh well

PJ isn’t the only one that plays favorites all coaches do I’ve been undeserved beneficiary of same and have seen family members be on the opposite side of the coin. To think that that never happens is just silly must not have ever been in a real locker room stuff. I think clearly with PJs bullshit it happens more here than other places.

PJ isn’t the only one that plays favorites all coaches do I’ve been undeserved beneficiary of same and have seen family members be on the opposite side of the coin. To think that that never happens is just silly must not have ever been in a real locker room stuff. I think clearly with PJs bullshit it happens more here than other places.
That wasn't the original issue. The poster said Booker wasn't a favorite because he wasn't a FAMILY guy. My point is that if you're not a FAMILY guy, why are you here in the first place?

That wasn't the original issue. The poster said Booker wasn't a favorite because he wasn't a FAMILY guy. My point is that if you're not a FAMILY guy, why are you here in the first place?
Well, like I answered before ... you have no idea what that really means until you get here.

It's just used car salesman talk on the recruiting trail. Fleck's top skill

Well, like I answered before ... you have no idea what that really means until you get here.

It's just used car salesman talk on the recruiting trail. Fleck's top skill
I watched a good amount of Kansas football past season. Booker was OK. He made some good plays but disappeared a lot. He wouldn't have made a big difference. Joyner is a better player.

I watched a good amount of Kansas football past season. Booker was OK. He made some good plays but disappeared a lot. He wouldn't have made a big difference. Joyner is a better player.
First team All Big 12 and Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year says to me that I wonder if you’re thinking of a different player.

Top Bottom