Athlon Clickbait Article Suggests Fans Want Fleck Gone

In the age of social media someone is always saying something, easy enough to claim “fans” want….. anything.

A few years ago there was an ongoing series of garbage articles, saying Penn State fans are upset about some player.

If you look closely at the articles, the tweets they linked to you found those accounts amounted to three or four unique accounts… all with less than 12 tweets…. Only one even had a profile picture.

I guess if the clamour to fire P.J. increases from like three people to like six people, that represents a groundswell of public opinion......

I mean if they scanned gopherhole for the first 24 hours after the NW loss it's probably valid data. Otherwise most fans have more sense than that I would hope.

I mean if they scanned gopherhole for the first 24 hours after the NW loss it's probably valid data. Otherwise most fans have more sense than that I would hope.
Even immediately after the loss most fans have more sense than the knee jerk, "fire all the coaches, bench the QB, burn it all to the ground".....crowd.

But that group tends to shout the loudest and be the most obnoxious so they get noticed.

This style of reporting in general is bottom of the barrel trash. It’s not just limited to sports journalism either, I see it all the time with politics too. “Twitter users SLAM (insert politician here)”. And it’s always like four people saying something. Totally meaningless in a day and age where you can find someone expressing literally any opinion online.

I guess if the clamour to fire P.J. increases from like three people to like six people, that represents a groundswell of public opinion......
"There's been a 100% increase in fans calling for PJ Fleck's ouster at UMN. You won't believe what happens next... More here"

There is a 252 post thread on this Gopher fan board called "Fire PJ Fleck Immediately"

We reap what we sow
Totally true. Although to be fair most level headed people thought it was a dumb post. However there were plenty of posters giving reasons to get rid of him. I’ll maintain it’s a bad take

That's because they come to Gopher sites like this and see idiots creating fire PJ threads.
To moderators, why can’t we make our forum private like some 247 forums. Must register and PAY to read content?

Why we still open to public and free?

Of the tweets shown in the article, not one is a "fan", they are talking heads/wannabe writers, and only 1 is based in Minnesota, and he's a fantasy football writer.

There is a 252 post thread on this Gopher fan board called "Fire PJ Fleck Immediately"

We reap what we sow
And most that are saying for him to be fired only post after losses. Not true fans.

Is this more AI trash?

To moderators, why can’t we make our forum private like some 247 forums. Must register and PAY to read content?

Why we still open to public and free?
Probably because there is already a subscription based Gopher football message board and people are unlikely to pay for more than one.

While I remain on the PJ bandwagon, there does need to be improvement. We have had one great year and two decent years out of 7. He needs to change his best.

Even immediately after the loss most fans have more sense than the knee jerk, "fire all the coaches, bench the QB, burn it all to the ground".....crowd.

But that group tends to shout the loudest and be the most obnoxious so they get noticed.
I’ve been saying he isn’t the guy since 2021…

In aftergame huff, a little. That would be news for that game, not anything forward.

Fleck will be our guy for the next several years, and showed these past few years that he delivers.

Top Bottom