Athletes at the U weigh in On Sponsorship

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Lamond:

Athletes at the U are tracking the bill’s expected arrival in California in 2023 and may even get to see a similar bill come to Minnesota.

According to a spokesperson responding on behalf of Mark Coyle, Athletics Director at the U, “Minnesota has started the legislative process toward a similar bill.”

“We are a legacy member of the Big Ten and will work closely with Commissioner Warren, the conference and President Gabel on this matter moving forward for a national solution,” said the spokesperson.

Despite these concerns, some athletes at the University of Minnesota see potential in this bill for good.

“Instead of focusing on money, they can focus on their sport [and] school,” said Boye Mafe, defensive lineman for the University of Minnesota football team.

While on the team, some players also hold jobs and support family.

Meanwhile, Mafe suggests pooling money.

“I feel like [sponsorship money] should be pooled to make more scholarships for the team… so instead of allowing a team to have 70 scholarships,” said Mafe, “allow them to give out more scholarships; allow more money to be given as stipends for the whole team.”

Despite Mafe’s excitement, he also has some concerns.

Schools that already have a lot of money and are successful in getting their players sponsorships might have an advantage over others.

t would dilute college sports and make all these powerhouses even more of powerhouses,” said Mafe, “everyone would just want to go to schools where they could get the most money.”

Mafe also expressed concern that some positions on the field would receive uneven recognition from sponsors.

“Maybe they’re not the star player, but they’re the role player that makes everyone look good. Especially in football, you have a lot of people who work together to make the team work, but probably only about three to four positions that usually get a lot of attention for what they do,” said Mafe.

Go Gophers!!

It sounds like he has thought a lot about this, from both sides of the argument. I like his idea that it might be shared across the team somehow, and that he showed concern that players who aren't "the star" or are role players will not get the attention they do.

Boye hit the nail on the head with his list of negatives. In my opinion, it would ruin college sports. I might not even watch anymore if this ends up being implemented nationwide.

Boye hit the nail on the head with his list of negatives. In my opinion, it would ruin college sports. I might not even watch anymore if this ends up being implemented nationwide.
If college sports need to stand on the backs of unpaid labor, they are already ruined.

Most of all I'd just like to see a player's union.

That of course would be abhorrent to a lot of folks with a lot of interest in not seeing it happen.

I want to see someone whose role is just to have the player's best interests in mind. Provided they're actually independant and not tied to the NCAA or a school or some conflict like that. ... then I'd like to see them work out a national deal so everyone is on the same page and the players get a real say.

The best interests of the players involves getting a good education, internships, networking. How many people have NCAA scholarships helped lift out of poverty or the working poor?

Heres an ideal - a salary cap on coaches and athletic department staff.

Seems like a lot of people operate under the false premise that college sports are equal now. Already massive disparities in coach salary, booster support, revenue, etc that are probably a pretty good reflection of recruit rankings and on-field performance. Giving players money may exacerbate the inequity a bit, but would just be one of many factors.

There is no I in team. As have been said, three or four stars get all the money and adulation while the other players who did their part to get them there are left out.

I agree it will stack the odds in favor of the already powerful schools as far as recruiting goes. Players will flock to where they can get the most money for endorsements.

I like how the Gophers recognize the practice squad players, and award more scholarships than most D1 teams to Walk-ons. They recognize and reward hard work. I don't know what sponsorship will do to team spirit. Time will tell.

Scholarships to walk ons are not awarded solely on athletic performance. Those not on scholarships work hard for the success of the team. Maybe pool the money as suggested by Boye Mafe and award more stipends to the rest of the team. There are a lot of unsung heroes on the team.

Last edited:

Communistic teams will lose talent to capitalistic teams. Don’t underestimate how much these proposals will shift the competitive landscape.

If this was in place going into next season, Morgan and Bateman would be first in line for all of the deals. I’m not even sure they’d be comfortable with the disparity.

If it is pay, then start taxing them at normal rates. If it is a scholarship, let's stop talking pay and benefits. Sponsorships would mean pay for play. That means income taxes. I am all for it. Spread the wealth.

If college sports need to stand on the backs of unpaid labor, they are already ruined.

Tuition, room and board, free unlimited meals, FCOA cash, tutors, psychologists, therapists, travel, massage therapy, free medical . . . you need to rethink the term, Unpaid labor. That adds up to what $40000 of cash. Unpaid,really? Those poor exploited kids, who are welcome to walk away any time they’d like.

There is some hypocrisy here on the part of the colleges and NCAA.

Giving players a stipend means the money comes from the schools or the NCAA.

But, allowing players to market their likeness means the money comes from advertisers and outside companies.

It allows the NCAA to claim they are addressing players' concerns without having to foot the bill.

And I concur - the NIL system would mean a few star players get most of the money, and the vast majority of players wouldn't see squat. If the QB is walking around with bling and plenty of cash, sooner or later there are going to be hurt feelings and drama in the locker room.

If the players deserve some compensation above and beyond their scholarships, then give it to everyone - or no one.

If NIL revenue is pooled is it distributed equally to all FBS teams or are funds distributed to that team only? Walk-ons? Do transferees get a pro-rated amount or is there a buy-in time?

It also begs the question of whether individual players would want to take a day or half a day out of their busy schedules/personal time to go do a talk or autograph signing or commercial if they’re going to get the same < 1% share of revenue as the 105 guys playing xbox back at the dorm. Sort of an introduction to communism 101. Maybe the time and effort is worth it, maybe it isn’t. No I in team.

Nationally, it would be pro-competition if NIL deal revenue were pooled but if not certainly will tip the scales even further (if NIL contracts can be distributed to one team or player).

The players make a lot of money for the school - I see that point. However, I have a real hard time when the discussion makes it sound like they are 'unpaid' or have it so hard. In addition to tuition, room, and board - they have access to all sorts of things (tutors, etc.) that a typical student doesn't. Our goal shouldn't be so the students can "focus on their sport" as Mafe suggested. Virtually all students have to "focus on money" more than FB players do. They already get a hell of a deal (even if not proportional to the money they bring in for the school). If we have to go down this road I think it makes a lot more sense for the NCAA to add/increase a monthly stipend - even across the board (players, teams, etc.).

There is some hypocrisy here on the part of the colleges and NCAA.

Giving players a stipend means the money comes from the schools or the NCAA.

But, allowing players to market their likeness means the money comes from advertisers and outside companies.

It allows the NCAA to claim they are addressing players' concerns without having to foot the bill.

And I concur - the NIL system would mean a few star players get most of the money, and the vast majority of players wouldn't see squat. If the QB is walking around with bling and plenty of cash, sooner or later there are going to be hurt feelings and drama in the locker room.

If the players deserve some compensation above and beyond their scholarships, then give it to everyone - or no one.
Tuition, room and board, free unlimited meals, FCOA cash, tutors, psychologists, therapists, travel, massage therapy, free medical . . . you need to rethink the term, Unpaid labor. That adds up to what $40000 of cash. Unpaid,really? Those poor exploited kids, who are welcome to walk away any time they’d like.
I’m lucky enough to have a son at a P5 school that receives enough academic scholarship money and Pell Grant to cover his tuition and fees plus $1000. I put away $500 in a 529 about 21 years ago, and added $50 a month until his current senior year. With the return, that added up to about $22000. The last two years he lived in a near campus apartment. He has a 18 year old car.

He putzed around his freshman year and nearly lost the scholarship by 0.05 GPA, but took a summer class and got over the hump. That cost $1800.

He’s worked hard to keep his scholarship, made the Dean’s List, and in the end he’ll walk away with only $13k in loans. That’s manageable.

The turning point was his understanding that he was being paid to go to college. Paid. Outside of room and board he was making a profit. I don’t think he works any less hard than an athlete. He spends 3-4 hours a day studying, and though he bitches about it, I think he actually likes it.

Those football players are earning money for him, too. It’s not like those $$ are only going to line the AD coffers.

Imagine how he would like all those other benefits.

IIWUTM, I'd cut the BS hypocrisy. Don't pay players endorsements. Let them go straight to the pros. Get outside parties to organize football minor leagues.

How many players on the O-Line blocking for superstars who get all the money and glory will be happy?

Football is a team sports. Keep it at that in college.

"unpaid"???
"labor"???

Oh give me a break. There is nothing "unpaid" about it. The players get a FREE TOP NOTCH education. Free training staff and these people are top notch professionals, free tutoring, free room and board and I've seen a few videos done by non-athlete students who have gone to the Student Village to eat and rated the food/dining experience there, a 10 out of 10. They were gushing over how good the food was and the diversity of options offered as well. I'd love for someone with some expertise on such things to come up with a value of the total compensation package cfb players get when they agree to PLAY A GAME. Yes practices are probably tough, but it is still a game. The free exposure players get. The connections the U can and does hook players up with is beyond compare. These players are given such a huge leg up going into the adult world, it's beyond ridiculous that any of them or that any of you all can complain and whine about it.

Top Bottom