Assuming we beat Northwestern

jblass

Reaction score
Northwestern can be a thorn in the side but I am confident we will win this one. Assuming we do what’s everyone’s opinion on the best way to defend Garza and defeat Iowa. Last game we kept Oturu off Garza at the start most likely to keep Oturu from getting into foul trouble. Garza is a great player. Who should we put on him? Should we plan on double teaming him and hope the Iowa shooters are cold? What would you do if you were Pitino?

Northwestern can be a thorn in the side but I am confident we will win this one. Assuming we do what’s everyone’s opinion on the best way to defend Garza and defeat Iowa. Last game we kept Oturu off Garza at the start most likely to keep Oturu from getting into foul trouble. Garza is a great player. Who should we put on him? Should we plan on double teaming him and hope the Iowa shooters are cold? What would you do if you were Pitino?

Don't put Alihan on him, that's for sure. We learned that the hard way early on in our last meeting.

i do not have the same level of confidence as you.

There's no way Demir should guard Garza. He's a below-average low post defender anyway, and Garza would eat him alive like last time.

You put Oturu on Garza and tell him to prove he's the better player.

Start Omersa and put him on Garza till he has 2 fouls. Then go with Ihnen till he has 2. Then Oturu.
Second half, same logic to 4 fouls but go back to Omersa after Ihnen gets to 4. Then back to Ihnen. Oturu guards him in crunch time.

We cleared the first hurdle. Now Iowa. A lot of experts on the GH. Layout your game plan. Who starts for the Gophers? What is our offensive and defensive strategy to beat the Hawks.

We cleared the first hurdle. Now Iowa. A lot of experts on the GH. Layout your game plan. Who starts for the Gophers? What is our offensive and defensive strategy to beat the Hawks.
first and foremost, get back on D. Glad Carr and Oturu didn't play 40 min loads tonight. They're going to need their legs. I'd throw Oturu at Garza first. you have to roll with your best and there's no reason Dan can't dominate him and get him in foul trouble early, the same as Garza could do to Dan. After that I'd probably go with a combo of Freeman and Omersa and tell them to play physical with him. a lot of this will depend on how whistle happy the refs get (which seems highly variable with the B10 officials). On offense, run your usual stuff. Carr needs to have himself a game, he's due. Can't hope Gabe goes off to win given how sporadic he's been and that he's going to be running all over chasing shooters. Carr and Oturu have to take over.

Starters: Marcus, Payton, Gabe, Alihan, Daniel

Offensive strategy: Score a lot of points.
Defensive strategy: Don't give up more points than you score.

Top Bottom