Aside from Indiana is there another coaching job more attractive than Gophers?

Number one criteria for any job: Who is your boss? Can you trust them? Will they stand behind you when times are tough?
How big of a supporter is administration? Will they help you succeed or tell you at every turn...that’s not how we do it here.

The rest you can overcome. Can’t accomplish any thing without somebody at the top believing in you, echoing you, supporting you, defending your vision.
Still angry about Tracy Claeys, eh?

1997 was a quarter century ago. It’s not relevant. Let it go
Also it is relevant when citing what the Barn can be. It’s an example of the excitement and home court advantage that are possible. As far as I’m concerned, the infrastructure of the Barn has not changed from 97 to now. Same seating capacity too. I’m not really seeing what your point was? A winner will bring back that same advantage.

The Indiana basketball job is rapidly becoming the equivalent of the Nebraska football job. A no-win trap of unreasonable expectations from a fan base stuck in a time warp.
But their location relative to recruiting is much better. Right? It has to be. Lincoln is in the middle of nowhere.

Like it or not, physical distance is always going to be some amount of a barrier to landing recruits. It is by no means impossible.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating of it.
There are two BIG BB HC positions open.
Let us wait and see what coaches come to the two schools then the debate about which position was more desirable will be at least partially answered.

This thread got sidetracked by people that either didn’t read the OP or went off on a tangent. OTHER THAN INDIANA, is there a more attractive job that would seriously prevent us from closing the deal with our coach of choice? With a graduate degree from Iowa State and lots of Hilton Coliseum games under my belt, I think ISU is a pretty equivalent job to MN. Both places rock when the going is good. Both major conference jobs. Both have powerful opponents above them in the pecking order. Both had some past success, but have sputtered recently. Utah is meh. They are a new call up to the PAC 12 from the minor leagues. The PAC 12 has lost prominence, gets buried by the media because of the time zone, has less tourney appearances and success, and has nowhere near the depth of the B1G. They may be in a similar place in their league’s pecking order to MN in the B1G, but the PAC 12 stinks. Some of the other openings have been filled with candidates we never wanted. I think we are well positioned to get who we want. I’m not sure which guy Coyle will sign, but I like where we’re at (even if Indiana grabs one of the guys we’ve talked about).

Sure, but that doesn't mean you won't be fired after a relatively short tenure like the rest of them.

Of course, but the point is that not a consideration for a successful person.

Well, I have lived in a redneck state and redneck areas of states that normally aren't considered redneck states. I can't say that I would want to live in any of those places again but I'm 64. If I were younger and had less of an established idea of what I liked and didn't, I might choose climate over culture. Plus, college towns are always a little different no matter where they are located.

I am sure the feeling of dislike is pretty mutual.

Iowa State and Marquette are possibly easier places to win than Minnesota.
Take away bias and they gotta be near equal coaching jobs to Minnesota?
Not the Big Ten but other advantages.

Except that you can have almost two straight weeks of subzero temps in February like we recently had and, in general, the weather would seem pretty inhospitable to most people from December through various points in March. If you have lived here for a long time, you adjust by

1) Adopting the same mind frame as an accountant during busy season (it's rough but you get through it and it's over in a few months); and/or

2) You learn to bundle up well and embrace cold weather activities.

The substantial majority of the US population has never had the perspective of #1 because no place in the nation (other than perhaps upper Maine and Vermont where the population is low anyway) is as cold as the northern midwest. That also extends to Wyoming and Montana but those places don't have much population either.

To the uninitiated the cold weather here is often quite shock the first time. If they haven't been exposed to it, they don't even have a clue how cold it is here. I was in central PA during mid-January a few years back and some people asked me "Is it as cold in Minnesota as it is here?" I answered: "This is like March in Minnesota."
I lived in Houston TX and in the summer there is a lot like a winter in MN. No one really goes to the park or hangs out outside its to hot and humid.

Indiana is still potentially an attractive job. Better than Nebraska football. While a demanding fan base, the potential for a recruting advantage is always there. It is a little dated, but I remember Jim dutcher circa 1979 or 1980 ruefully saying "At Minnesota, we recruit. Indiana *selects*"
What's the recruiting advantage again? This is not the 1980's. Indiana has been bad for a long time. They are not the "in" thing and have not been for decades.

What's the recruiting advantage again? This is not the 1980's. Indiana has been bad for a long time. They are not the "in" thing and have not been for decades.
Way better historical brand and a really wide recruiting region. If they have been bad for a long time, what about us ? Also, many kids like the idea of a vibrant campus atmosphere. I would be remiss if i did not add that ours is the best job to many. i KNOW A COACH who always thought that a place that had never really won was the best place. Smith probably thinks this is the best job.

Last edited:

Way better historical brand and a really wide recruiting region. If they have been bad for a long time, what about us ? Also, many kids like the idea of a vibrant campus atmosphere. I would be remiss if i did not add that ours is the best job to many. i KNOW A COACH who always thought that a place that had never really won was the best place. Smith probably thinks this is the best job.

Imagine what a coach like Matt Painter could do at Indiana, if he was a Hoosier alum - I think he is easily top 3 coaches in the conference.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating of it.
There are two BIG BB HC positions open.
Let us wait and see what coaches come to the two schools then the debate about which position was more desirable will be at least partially answered.
Is Mn willing to pay up or not?

Top Bottom