As I was watching the game last saturday

Doc1001

Reaction score
I noticed a big improvement in the play calling. No more insistence on running up the middle. If they did run it was more creative and more wide open. And there was more passing and a nicer mix of passing and running. I was thinking Horton is opening it up and I liked it. Then i remembered it was Hammock calling the plays. Not sure if it was Brewsters absence that enabled it or Hammocks philosophy but it was refreshing. I wish we had had this improved offensive mix alot earlier.

Yes, Hammock was calling the plays, but Horton got the last opportunity to veto. If anything, it was nice to see things opened up. The old saying about, "playing to win vs. playing not to lose", was evident. Over the last 3 1/2 years, we've seen a coach that played not to lose.

On the defense, I liked the more aggressive style - stacking the box and then backing off. I think we'll see a lot of that on Saturday.

One thing that I thought was really funny; when the referees walked off at half time as the crowd boo'ed. Horton was walking right behind them encouraging that and more from the crowd. A contracted Big Ten coach would get fined; Horton being the interim coach has nothing to lose. I like him taking those sorts of liberties. What he lacks in coaching skill, he makes up for in a colorful personality.

Top Bottom