As an AD at a P5 team, which of these FIVE damaged/rehabilitating coach would you hire?

Sark, Faux or Mr. Freeze??

• Sark

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Faux Pellini

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Mr. Freeze

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Art Briles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mr. Big - Bret Bielema

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I saw Freeze's interview on GameDay and thought he was contrite - it's only been a couple of years, so not sure if he has "paid his full price" yet, and if you could trust him again as he really crossed the line - he can obviously coach though.

Sark, amazing offensive mind, and putting up with Saban automatically qualifies him for another job IMO. My concern with him, is he's a boozer and its tough to stay sober especially after regaining success and more importance as a HC.

Faux Pellini - as a former decent/good HD linebacker, I have a bias for him.

His record at Nebby was impressive and he was a young buck when he got the job and was coaching there, so he's probably leaned some lessons along the ways -

Pelini left the NU football program with a 67–27 record, winning at least 9 games in every season. Despite this record Nebraska never won a conference title under Pelini.[18] Eichorst stated at a press conference that Pelini hadn't won "the games that mattered the most" against top-tier opponents despite having significant resources at his disposal. Barney Cotton was announced as interim head coach, and prepared the team for its bowl game.[20]

He also took Youngstown State to the FCS Championship game.

I vote for Faux!

And what say you???

Freeze, I think he gets the South Carolina job this cycle.

Sark, begrudgingly... because I don't have other options I would consider.

Sark, begrudgingly... because I don't have other options I would consider.
This.

if I’m an AD, I have more forgiveness for an addiction issue than I do for using university time and money for nefarious activities.

Bo would be a pain in the ass to work with and is probably merely an average head coach.

I think Bo would be fun and could win at a high level with the right talent.

If we're shopping in the dented coaches aisle, I will take Art Briles.

I think Bo would be fun and could win at a high level with the right talent.
He was under .500 in the Missouri Valley at YSU.
His defense can’t stop anybody this year with LSU’s talent.

Nebraska gave up 59 per game against Wisconsin in his tenure at Nebraska (which is probably the number two reason he got fired)

he is a pain that no administration at the P5 level wants to work with (which is why he got fired)

I never thought of Bo Pelini as being damaged. He went 67-27, and was only fired due to delusional view Nebraska has of their post Osborne program. His outspoken, stubborn Zimmer (not the best example) like approach did not wear well in LIncoln either, but the sun has set on the Osborne glory days, but they still don't know it.

The main reason Bo probably stayed out of the limelight so long is he was determined that Nebraska pay him every cent due on his contract.

I would suggest Bret Bielema as one more name for the list. If they guy wasn't so fat, (and in a legal battle to get the large $$ Arkansas owes him), he could have had another good job by now.

Last edited:

If we're shopping in the dented coaches aisle, I will take Art Briles.

Briles is another interesting case., equal to Freeze in upside and corruption in the past. I think we had some sleazy recruiting and willing accomplices that tossed those two overboard when things got ugly to save themselves. (Of course those two did not help matters much)

It is kind of insane when you look at NFL rosters and realize how much better the talent suddenly got at Baylor/ Ol' Miss with Brile/ Freeze coaching. Sure the recruiting pools are deep in those areas, and the systems were appealing, but those two programs never did great in recruiting in the last 25 years, then suddenly they had Alabama and Texas like talent all over the field.

I never thought Bo Pellini as being damaged. He went 67-27, and was only fired due to delusional view Nebraska has of their post Osborne program. His Zimmer like approach did not wear well in LIncoln either, but the sun has set on the Osborne glory days.

The main reason Bo probably stayed out of the limelight so long is he was determined that Nebraska pay him every cent due on his contract.

I would suggest Bret Bielema as one more name for the list. If they guy wasn't so fat, (and in a legal battle to get the large $$ Arkansas owes him), he could have had another good job by now.

Eehhh maybe.

The AD at Neb was an idiot ... but the way he went out with the leaded player meeting and such ... I'm not sure many ADs want to hire a guy who will shit talk them later on...

I think Bo was as a HC not looked upon kindly at the time by other ADs / he would have had to take a serious downgrade to HC again... and he did.

Eehhh maybe.

The AD at Neb was an idiot ... but the way he went out with the leaded player meeting and such ... I'm not sure many ADs want to hire a guy who will shit talk them later on...

I think Bo was as a HC not looked upon kindly at the time by other ADs / he would have had to take a serious downgrade to HC again... and he did.
And then he was pretty average there

Eehhh maybe.

Everyone thought Mike Leach was very damaged goods after the Texas Tech smear put on him by that asshole ex SMU RB/ ESPN commentator, and his malcontent son, and and amplified by the ESPN media elite.

If Mike Leach came back,, and he has since been hired twice in the P5, so there is no reason Pelini could not. Going back to his roots, at Youngstown State was a deliberate decision by Pelini, not the best he could have done. (I think) We should have hired Bo after Mason was fired, but I think he just laughed at us, if I recall correctly. The Minnesota job today is a much better job than it was in 2007, but that is a different story.

Last edited:

Everyone thought Mike Leach was very damaged goods after the Texas Tech smear put on him by that asshole ex SMU RB/ ESPN commentator, and his malcontent son, and and amplified by the ESPN media elite.

If Mike Leach came back,, and he has since been hired twice in the P5, so there is no reason Pelini could not. Going back to his roots, at Youngstown State was a deliberate decision by Pelini, not the best he could have done. (I think) We should have hired Bo after Mason was fired, but I think he just laughed at us, if I recall correctly. The Minnesota job today is a much better job than it was in 2007, but that is a different story.
Mike had a legit gripe with Texas Tech though.

No AD out there is gonna not fulfil their contract like Texas Tech did so I don't think any given AD thinks that is likely to happen.

Mike had a legit gripe with Texas Tech though.

No AD out there is gonna not fulfil their contract like Texas Tech did so I don't think any given AD thinks that is likely to happen.
yeah there is a difference between having wacky press conferences and publicly calling your AD female body parts

Briles is another interesting case., equal to Freeze in upside and corruption in the past. I think we had some sleazy recruiting and willing accomplices that tossed those two overboard when things got ugly to save themselves. (Of course those two did not help matters much)

It is kind of insane when you look at NFL rosters and realize how much better the talent suddenly got at Baylor/ Ol' Miss with Brile/ Freeze coaching. Sure the recruiting pools are deep in those areas, and the systems were appealing, but those two programs never did great in recruiting in the last 25 years, then suddenly they had Alabama and Texas like talent all over the field.

I remember that Miss St. had a class equal to/almost equal to Alabama one year and word shenanigans somehow wouldn't get out of my head.

The people have spoken and this poster has listened, I do that on occasion.

I have added Art Briles and Mr. Big to the list -

YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTE.

Thanks.

Top Bottom