Article: Why Did Athan Kaliakmanis Enter the Transfer Portal?

Reading this pisses me off, thank god Athan is gone. Suck it up your the QB, the leader, when shit goes wrong you take the blame, when it goes right you praise your teammates. Its about being a leader not a wimp whose afraid his coach called him out. Rise to the challenge compete. You think Tom Brady would do this shit. Bill would cuss him out in front of the whole team.

If PJ wants to he can pin that whole offense on AK, but for the team and fanbase, he better not believe it. A lot of the problems this year were the same problems we saw under his bud Morgan.

The change needs to come from much more than changing QB’s. He has his collection of worshippers on Gopherhole who embarrassingly rip apart AK or departing players to make their man look better, but the knowledgeable fanbase knows that improvement needs to happen on the sidelines as well as under center.

Interesting stuff...

I guess you'd put me in your 'worshipper' category. Yet, even as a 'worshipper', I'd like to hear from the 'more knowledgeable fanbase'.

Something tells me we need to throw more passes, and run a more 'modern' offense. Am I right?

Maybe Chip Scoggins and LaVelle E. Neal III can be co-offensive coordinators.

This article was based on Doogie. I take it with a grain of salt. Honestly, how many close personal friends does Doogie have?

TMZ has an incredible track record of accuracy; they literally break nearly every celebrity death, etc. They pay for their intel but their credibility is unmatched.

Go Gophers!!
Beat me to it. Folks might not like some of the content it covers, but TMZ is very thorough.

"Wolfson’s source, which is someone close to Athan"

Watch Kirby Smart coach a single game. QB gets ripped into every game. You can’t be this soft and play QB if getting chewed out takes you down
Kirby very much does chew out his QBs...and practically anyone else on the team who does something he determines amiss...for the whole CFB world to see.

For us Coach Kill did similar on occassion, while Brew actually let Troy Stoudemire diss him and the other coaches for the whole CFB world to see. Coach Fleck certainly not much at all.

Since this is heresay I'll grant Kaliakmanis the benefit of doubt that Coach crossed some imaginary "chewing out" line. Even if yes, it's just more of an indication that it was not going to work out. If whatever he might have done...even with other circumstances understood by us all (ahem...Fleckball philosophy) led Coach to blow a fuse, then Athan's made the right call for him and for the team to part ways.

Back to Kirby, he always ends his cuss-out with a backslap and the player goes back out and more often than not kills it on the next opportunity. Method to the madness methinks.

"(Doogie's) source is someone close to Athan."

any bets? my money is on Dad.

you can argue about the best way to deal with coach-player situations. but the devil is in the details - if Fleck chewed out Athan in front of other coaches, that's one thing. if he chewed him out in front of other players or staff members, that's something different. context matters.

but I'm willing to bet that virtually every QB in college FB has gotten chewed out by the coach to some extent during their careers.

this - to me - feels like one of those situations where a HS player gets yelled at by the Coach, and Dad gets on the phone and starts complaining to school board members and trying to get the Coach fired.
If I had a dollar for everytime I was chewed out in front of my teammates, I'd have enough NIL to buy us a bunch of five star transfers. Athan needs to put his big boy pants on. His Dad on Twitter says it all. Nevermind is extremely cringy.

He can put on his big boy pants now. The best of luck to him if and when he plays again. It is time to move on. His time here wasn't that memorable and he will soon be forgotten.

Kaliakmanis was not alone to be sure responsibility-wise for what transpired this season. First time I think I've heard Coach Fleck dishing it out to a player or players for poor performance or whatever. I'm sure these difficult conversations happen every day but we just don't hear about it. Still, no surprise we're hearing this now giving the high profile of the transfer.

If there's a positive is the point that Coach knows they need to win more games next season. Not rocket science there but I'll take it being stated nonetheless.

"...Coach knows they need to win more games next season." That's going to be a difficult thing to do.

If I had a dollar for everytime I was chewed out in front of my teammates, I'd have enough NIL to buy us a bunch of five star transfers. Athan needs to put his big boy pants on. His Dad on Twitter says it all. Nevermind is extremely cringy.

Painless transfers drove big boy pants out of fashion.

Interesting stuff...

I guess you'd put me in your 'worshipper' category. Yet, even as a 'worshipper', I'd like to hear from the 'more knowledgeable fanbase'.

Something tells me we need to throw more passes, and run a more 'modern' offense. Am I right?

Maybe Chip Scoggins and LaVelle E. Neal III can be co-offensive coordinators.
No actually I think we need to be a run first offense. But you do make my point for me. There is much more intricacy to offense than just run versus pass.

"...Coach knows they need to win more games next season." That's going to be a difficult thing to do.
The pressure is building internally for PJ I’ve got to imagine. He is stuck, not winning enough to get a better job and soon maybe not enough to keep the one he has.

Hell, trying not running a 7th grade junior high offense where the opposition knows all your plays would help. Myself, Mrs Gil, and my seatmate were calling all the plays. We knew all the formations and where the ball was going and I'm far from being a football coach.
Stealing signs, eh?

After thinking about all this. I was chewed out by my coach in front of my teammates about 55 years ago or so. Can I sue him? What are my options at this point?

AK sucks plain and simple. He should transfer to the MIAC.

After thinking about all this. I was chewed out by my coach in front of my teammates about 55 years ago or so. Can I sue him? What are my options at this point?
If you were chewed out by your coach between the years 1950-2010, you may be eligible for compensation, call 1-800-BAD-COACH to discuss your options.

Next year, the Gophs, when playing against “toss up” opponents, need to show up (Purdue) and have fewer shocking 4Q collapses. Record might not improve against next year’s slate, but we’ll feel better. And a surprise win in a game where we are big underdogs would help, too.

Hit the transfer portal!

Hell, trying not running a 7th grade junior high offense where the opposition knows all your plays would help. Myself, Mrs Gil, and my seatmate were calling all the plays. We knew all the formations and where the ball was going and I'm far from being a football coach.
So... we had a QB who showed he couldn't complete basic 7th grade junior high offense passes. Yeah that's about right.

OK, do we all agree on these?
  1. Athan’s dad is 100% the source on this
  2. Athan was NOT the only reason the offense struggled
  3. Athan was 100% a big part of the reason the offense struggled
  4. PJ probably chewed Athan out in front of the offense/team during/after the Purdue game
  5. PJ probably chews lots of players out in front of their teammates
  6. PJ absolutely HAD to bring in a transfer QB
  7. A player should not be guaranteed a starting spot for any game until earning it during preparation and practice
That pretty much sums it up.

Top Bottom