Are we really going to suck next year? I mean, Really??

Johnson said toward the end of the season that he was thinking of coming back. If he said something different since then, I guess I missed it.

I missed that. Good to know.

I'm sorry but what are the reasons that Race Thompson, Dawson Garcia, and KJ Walton (has he entered the portal even) are playing for us next year? Just because they are from here and are transferring?

We were 13th in the Big Ten last year and just hired a new coach who has never been a head coach before. Garcia especially probably has NBA dreams. He is going somewhere to put that on display. Better chance we see him playing next to Chet next year at Gonzaga than him in maroon and gold.
Has Garcia even entered the portal?

Anyone watch the PJ spring football presser. Normally he's psyched about any new coach, all he said was "congrats to Ben Johnson" thats it. No, excited for gopher basketball, bright future ahead, etc etc.

Anyone watch the PJ spring football presser. Normally he's psyched about any new coach, all he said was "congrats to Ben Johnson" thats it. No, excited for gopher basketball, bright future ahead, etc etc.
Richie's out, I'm out

I wouldn’t read a ton into it. It was just a quick recap of what has been going on in gopher athletics.

that said, Fleck and Pitino did seem to have a really good connection and supported each other’s programs. Hopefully Fleck and Johnson will develop a similar connection over time.

I wouldn’t read a ton into it. It was just a quick recap of what has been going on in gopher athletics.

that said, Fleck and Pitino did seem to have a really good connection and supported each other’s programs. Hopefully Fleck and Johnson will develop a similar connection over time.
Richie unfollowed Fleck on Twitter

"First and foremost, congratulations to Ben Johnson, our new basketball coach. I got a chance to go to the presser and really excited for him and for where Gopher athletics is headed, so that was good to see."

"First and foremost, congratulations to Ben Johnson, our new basketball coach. I got a chance to go to the presser and really excited for him and for where Gopher athletics is headed, so that was good to see."
This is what I heard as well. Seems appropriate. Went on to congratulate all other programs with recent accomplishments, coaches, and a few athletes by name.

First of, Let's establish some starting points.

Let's say Ben Johnson retains Conroy and does a good job of recruiting the players currently on the team. So he has the following to work with:
Kalesheur
Robbins
Ihnen
Williams
Mitchell
Freeman

Pulls rabbit out of his hat and keeps Mashburn.

Then he nabs KyKy and CJ from the portal along with Jamison Battle.

He dumps Pohto but keeps Thompson.

NCAA grants 1 time waiver in euphoria over ticket revenue from pandemic leniency effect. Now you have the following:

PG: Mashburn and Kyky battle for the starting spot and minutes.
SG: Kalesheur starts but 4* CJ and his 6'6" frame is waiting in the wings for the leftovers.
SF: Williams and Battle battle for the starting spot and minutes making each better.
PF: Ihnen assumes the throne and is backed up by the untapped Mitchell and Thompson.
C: Robbins and the five fouls and dunks offered by Sam Freeman.

Insert an offense (any offense with movement and passing) and get these guys to commit to team defense.

Is this really a last place team?

You have a two time National Player of the week and three returning starters being coached by a guy who is replacing a coach who employed a stagnant offense and a horrible defensive strategy and you don't think they will be better than last place?

I suppose you think he will allow them to chuck 25 3s per game too.

I don't see it. If he keeps these guys and gets some more. Changes the CULTURE of the program.

No way they are bottom material. They won't win the conference, but if he can change the CULTURE ala PJ, they sure as hell won't be last.

I gotta think that is what Coyle saw in him to make this hire. A guy with a plan.
Good call on getting Battle in the portal.

Top Bottom