Are We Complete and Utter Wimps?

Reaction score
IMHO, football is simple on one level -- if your big guys can't handle their big guys (ie offensive line vs. defensive line each way), it doesn't matter what skill position talent you've assembled. Scheme, talent, coaching all go out the window if your big'ens can't handle theirs.

That being said, is Minnesota a state full of wimps? Why can't we put together some strong to dominant lines to build around to win games in the B10 -- much less vs. plains states colleges? In the 15 years I've watched Gophers football, we rarely have had one such line, and NEVER been great on both. I realize that is a tough order to fill, but until we can do so to some higher level than we've achieved in my 15 years, winning big is a pipe dream. How can other midwestern states like Iowa or Wisconsin consistently trot out big fatties who can play; yet we seemed almost destined to trot out guys who are marginally better than D-1AA players?

Is the state full of no-talent hacks? Even with the Sentreal Hendersons of the world playing elsewhere (for arguments sake) how can we not field competent lines built in large part from in-state fellers? Minnesota is a region built in large part upon physical work as are many other states that can put good beef on lines (other midwestern states, the plains regions, etc). Obviously it will vary by year and coaching; but why do continually get pushed around?!?! :confused:

The only answer is to recruit talent and coach them up. That's it. When (if?) will that happen?

PS In my initial post I wanted to replace 'wimps' with the insulting slang for cats... Would that have been a bit much? :D

Top Bottom