AP: The Gophers are happy with good health and a full roster after 2 painful seasons

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the AP:

The first two years for Ben Johnson as head coach at his alma mater Minnesota were a struggle in many ways, with myriad injuries that made program development all the more challenging given the impact of the transfer portal and growing pains for a young team.

After going 22-39 overall and 6-33 in the Big Ten, there is pressure this season on Johnson to shepherd measurable progress even with external expectations never lower. They were picked to finish last in the preseason poll of media covering the conference.

For now, with the opener on Nov. 6 against Bethune-Cookman coming up, Johnson and his staff can start by relishing the fact that they finally have a full roster.

“Music to my ears,” Johnson said.

For the first time since he was hired to replace Richard Pitino, Johnson saw forwards Parker Fox and Isaiah Ihnen running five-on-five drills at the beginning of fall practice. Fox and Ihnen both suffered a torn ACL in an offseason workout in each of the last two years, relegating them to rehabilitation and encouragement roles and robbing the Gophers of badly needed depth.

When they take the court next month, Fox and Ihnen will see live action for the first time in 2 1/2 years. Fox, an NCAA Division II All-American at Northern State, has never even suited up for Minnesota.

“They’re hungrier than ever,” Johnson said.

Go Gophers!!

I have said it all spring and summer...the only way this team has success is if Christie, Ihnen and Fox earn and deserve big minutes because of their production.
Ben is essentially telling us that is why we didn't win...those two guys were hurt.

I have said it all spring and summer...the only way this team has success is if Christie, Ihnen and Fox earn and deserve big minutes because of their production.
Ben is essentially telling us that is why we didn't win...those two guys were hurt.
What spots do Fox and Ihnen get these “big minutes”? Guess we will find out soon enough.

Anything is possible and I wish those three players all the best. What bothers me is history telling me that if we are relying on 2 guys who are coming back from not one, but two season ending injuries and another who is a freshman, we could be in trouble.

I'm not the one floating the narrative of why we were not successful the first two seasons.
Ben is.
I am suggesting with the two guards we are just replacing Battle and Cooper...and waiting to see are they improvements?
So, to improve it seems to me the most likely path is Ihnen, Fox and Christie making a splash. If that happens we will be better. If they are just healthy...that's not enough. So, to answer Ray ... 9 guys gotta play all November and December to determine if we can develop something to be better.

The other biggest key is defense and rebounding. Don't talk about it. Show me. I'm not sure why it will (we got the same staff) (maybe the competition of 9 guys wanting and getting playing time and the desire to keep it) but our defensive intensity has to be far greater than the first two years. We have to outwork teams. We are not the most talented group in the league.

Have we magically learned how to enter the ball to the post from the wing?
Having we figured out the spacing and the angles to utilize high/low?
Will Payne be running around outside the three point line for half the shot clock? Do we utilize Payne like Illinois and Cockburn?
We do have plenty of stuff to do differently to get out of last place...no matter the additions.

I'm not the one floating the narrative of why we were not successful the first two seasons.
Ben is.
I am suggesting with the two guards we are just replacing Battle and Cooper...and waiting to see are they improvements?
So, to improve it seems to me the most likely path is Ihnen, Fox and Christie making a splash. If that happens we will be better. If they are just healthy...that's not enough. So, to answer Ray ... 9 guys gotta play all November and December to determine if we can develop something to be better.

The other biggest key is defense and rebounding. Don't talk about it. Show me. I'm not sure why it will (we got the same staff) (maybe the competition of 9 games wanting playing time) but our defensive intensity has to be far greater than the first two years. We have to outwork teams. We are not the most talented group in the league.

Have we magically learned how to enter the ball to the post from the wing?
Having we figured out the spacing and the angles to utilize high/low?
Will Payne be running around outside the three point line for half the shot clock? Do we utilize Payne like Illinois and Cockburn?
We do have plenty of stuff to do differently to get out of last place...no matter the additions.
Tough, but fair. It's "prove it" time for this staff.

The other biggest key is defense and rebounding. Don't talk about it. Show me. I'm not sure why it will (we got the same staff) (maybe the competition of 9 guys wanting and getting playing time and the desire to keep it) but our defensive intensity has to be far greater than the first two years. We have to outwork teams. We are not the most talented group in the league.
Will believe it when I see it on defense and rebounding. Ben gets ragged on a lot and it’s easy to see why with the record, but dang, Thorson seems to have an easy gig.

Top Bottom