AP Poll

GopherManiac8

Reaction score
Will the Gophers get any votes in the polls for a close (for most of the game) loss to Ohio State?

Will the Gophers get any votes in the polls for a close (for most of the game) loss to Ohio State?
"Any"

Like any votes at all? Maybe.

Votes will be determined by the other games more than "for" an loss to Ohio State.

If we were an SEC team and the conference foe were Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, or A&M, we might get votes. Average B1G schools like us don’t get that “quality loss” benefit.

Voters only backpedal on their rankings when they’re forced to because of losses.

The only exception are the several voters that erroneously believe there is parity in the SEC. There isn’t. But these are probably the only games they watch.

If OSU destroys Oregon and we win our next two we will get votes (more than a token 1). If Oregon loses by 21+ we all know they will still get ranked in the top 20. Then if we win by 21+ against Miami of Ohio it will be easier to rank us after next week. However, if those things don't happen I do believe we will have to be 2-1 to get votes and 3-1 to crack the top 25 (more than likely 4-1).

After Miami Oh beats cinci and Colorado beats TAMU and we beat both of them we’ll be ranked!

Oregon losing to OSU will get us votes.

So if I'm getting this right, a quality loss only gets you votes if you were already overrated and in the preseason top 25? I mean both us and them start at 0-0 and just because of hype some other team stays in the top 25 or still gets votes when we may have played a better game against what was likely a better team?

# 14 Miami, #17 Indiana, and #23 Louisiana all got wupped. Wisconsin lost a close game but it was against the #19 team in the country and looked terrible. Do these teams deserve more votes than us for a well played game against OSU?

Top Bottom