AP: In Minnesota, everyone’s aboard the Gophers boat

GopherLady

Reaction score
Don't worry, there are far better people interviewed for this article than just me :).

Fans were euphoric after the Gophers beat Penn State 31-26 in Minnesota’s first win over a top-five team in 20 years, rushing the field in a blissful sea of maroon. One fan took a rally towel to place at her father’s gravesite after the win. Online traffic on a fan website doubled, online sales of Gophers merchandise picked up and fans started booking hotel rooms in Pasadena (just in case) and planning trips to the Big Ten title game in Indianapolis next month.
“Gopher fans have gone through the apathy phase before and right now it’s a complete polar opposite,” said Nadine Babu, co-owner of GopherHole.com, a website for fans. Despite Minnesota’s 23-19 loss to Iowa, she said, Fleck has changed fans’ mindset to believe in winning.
“People are just coming out of the woodwork and rowing the boat,” Babu said.

Good to see the national attention here.

In my world, I find in my conversational groups of 4-6 there will be at least one big time doubter.

I find them to be uninformed, and quite annoying.

In my world, I find in my conversational groups of 4-6 there will be at least one big time doubter.

I find them to be uninformed, and quite annoying.

Same. I probably get a handful of texts a week that ask me if I think PJ is a used car salesman. Used car salesmen don't get lucky and go 9-1.

Things have changed. I watched the Penn State game at Peppers and Fries and it was great to have a whole room cheering. It used to be that I could to a restaurant and ask to put the Gophers on and had to explain the concept. I remember trying to watch the game in a restaurant and some jerks mocked the Gophers the whole time. Things have changed.

Even in Fargo I'm seeing a lot more Maroon and Golf on Saturday's when I'm out and about

The hype is noticeable. Just being downtown during the work day you hear talk of Gopher football way more than you ever have in the past.

Top Bottom