AP: How Mohamed Ibrahim’s return — ‘I came back for my teammates’ — is fueling Minnesota’s super seniors for 1 more try

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

Mohamed Ibrahim started asking some of his fellow seniors near the end of last season about returning to Minnesota for one more year, a star running back unsettled by the feeling of finishing his college career because of a torn Achilles tendon.

The responses he collected made the decision clear. Once Ibrahim announced he would sign up for a sixth season, quarterback Tanner Morgan, center John Michael Schmitz and wide receiver Chris Autman-Bell followed suit soon after.

“I came back for my teammates,” Ibrahim said. “Without my teammates I wouldn’t be here, so why not give it one more shot?”

They’ve nicknamed themselves the “Encore Four,” these super seniors who’ve been with the Gophers since coach P.J. Fleck arrived in 2017. Morgan, Schmitz and Autman-Bell were committed first to Western Michigan before opting to follow Fleck to a power conference program.

Ibrahim, who also was recruited by Fleck when the coach was with the Broncos, was the catalyst for bringing the band back together on offense for another run at a Big Ten West title. Ibrahim is eighth on Minnesota’s career rushing list with 3,003 yards in 29 games, giving him a golden opportunity to catch Darrell Thompson (4,654) for the all-time lead.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom