Anyone tailgate at the East Bank Flats?

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
My small group is looking to tailgate there on Saturday.

How did it go? Any restrictions on what you can bring? Can you park there - or only bring stuff in?

Any help would be appreciated!

I got there at about 1:30, the paved lot was about half full with only about 6 groups actually tailgating. The paved lot was full by about 3:30, but hardly anyone tailgating. They must have decided not to open up the grass for parking and started turning people away after the paved lot filled up. Overall it was pretty lame. It was a decent place to park since we got in and out very easily, but basically no atmosphere except about 10 tailgates spread out amongst the cars.

I was there tailgating. It was really lame having a wideopen grass field to play catch and run around on. The surrounding trees and river were also a huge eyesore. Definitely not worth the insanely expensive $10.00 per space they were charging. Especially considereing the agonizingly long 10 minute walk to the stadium. Don't even bring up how long it took us to get out of the lot after the game (no wait!!) I recommend no one else park at the flats for the rest of the season.

I was there. It was slow to fill up, but it was a lightly advertised location. Same restrictions as other school owned lots--very strong police presence for such a small lot. That said, there's loads of space on the grass and a great view of downtown. $10 is the best deal you're gonna get on eastbank. Mixed age crowd. Great time. I'll be there Sat too, stop on by the big red van!!

I was there tailgating. It was really lame having a wideopen grass field to play catch and run around on. The surrounding trees and river were also a huge eyesore. Definitely not worth the insanely expensive $10.00 per space they were charging. Especially considereing the agonizingly long 10 minute walk to the stadium. Don't even bring up how long it took us to get out of the lot after the game (no wait!!) I recommend no one else park at the flats for the rest of the season.

I catch the sarcasm and I agree that everything was set up to be a perfect spot to park and tailgate with the river and the open grass.

I would recommend more people go and take advantage of it, there was just nothing going on there. Excellent place for a low key family friendly tailgate with lots of room, lame if you were expecting Gopher Fans everywhere and people mingling. I'll be at Station 19 the rest of the year, I don't think you can get any closer to the action there.

My post was obviously sarcastic. The flats were awesome. The attendants there said the grass would be open for parking this week but weren't last week b/c of some BS hang up with the city council. Once the word spreads, this will be the best spot to tailgate on campus imo.

Where were you at? I was at the end of the lot with the bean bags and the white tent. I was kicking myself for not bringing around a ball to toss around.

$10 is a fantastic deal, if the energy picks up, we will definitely park there next year. I would imagine a lot of the Saint Paul and parking ramp people will take advantage next year since they are not locked into a year long permit.

We were towards the "beginning" of the lot next to the group of AFA fans (who were pretty cool). We were there from roughly 11-3 then left to check out what was going on around the stadium. I never really made the rounds to talk to all the Gopher fans in the lot. Mainly because the AFA fans were fun and gave us some free booze, which I always appreciate.

I started a thread below (ignored:eek:) on available tailgate spots because I was at East River Flats and was thoroughly disappointed. As others mentioned, very few were really tailgating. I got there at about 3:00 and got one of the last spots available. I probably won't get my buddy to go there with me again.

I think the cheap rate actually might work against it for tailgating in an odd way. $10 is very inexpensive so close to the stadium, even for people not tailgating (and ridiculously cheap for tailgaters). For $10, people are willing to leave their cars and party somewhere else.

Top Bottom