Another National Championship for Iowa...

disco

Reaction score
...Western. IWCC won their second straight NJCAA Division 1 national title last night. They beat E. Mississippi (the second team featured in Last Chance U) 61-14.

There's a lot of talent on those teams, and some guys have 7-8 FBS offers. I watched the game and IWCC was just an offensive powerhouse.

Also, today I learned that the NJCAA has two divisions for football, Div. 1 and Div. 3 and that the national runner up in Div. 3 was Rochester Community and Technical College. Typical Minnesota team, can't win the big one. :p

There have been a few Iowa Western transfers that have been solid contributors to the Gophers. Ko Kieft for one iirc!

There have been a few Iowa Western transfers that have been solid contributors to the Gophers. Ko Kieft for one iirc!
I didn't know that Ko came from IWCC! During the game they listed a bunch of the guys playing in the NFL now who went the juco route (Gardner Minshew and Justin Jefferson were notable names). Surprised Ko wasn't one of them.

I didn't know that Ko came from IWCC! During the game they listed a bunch of the guys playing in the NFL now who went the juco route (Gardner Minshew and Justin Jefferson were notable names). Surprised Ko wasn't one of them.
Ko might not have come from iwcc according to his bio! But I know there were a few. Kill took some for sure!

Ko Kieft was not from Iowa Western. I think there was a lineman from a few years ago who came in from Iowa Western -- can't remember the name though.

Jeff Jones enrolled there following his time (or lack thereof) with the Gophers.

Edit: After research, Royal Silver, Merrick Jackson, Charlie Rogers and Cody Poock were all from Iowa Western. Recruiting CC/JC was definitely more of a Jerry Kill thing.

Last edited:

Royal Silver attended Iowa Western

...Western. IWCC won their second straight NJCAA Division 1 national title last night. They beat E. Mississippi (the second team featured in Last Chance U) 61-14.

There's a lot of talent on those teams, and some guys have 7-8 FBS offers. I watched the game and IWCC was just an offensive powerhouse.

Also, today I learned that the NJCAA has two divisions for football, Div. 1 and Div. 3 and that the national runner up in Div. 3 was Rochester Community and Technical College. Typical Minnesota team, can't win the big one. :p
EMCC was season 1 and 2 of Last Chance U. The "second team" was Independence.

I stumbled upon that game last night with less than 4 minutes left.

It looked like there were less than 100 people in attendance.

Cody Poock was an IWCC kid as well.

They are a powerhouse at the JUCO level obviously. Last year (2022) they sent 30 players D1. It's pretty remarkable seeing the amount of D1/Power 5 players they have sent since starting their football program in 2009.

Their coach is a Minnesota guy, I believe from up-north, and coached at various schools UMC-Crookston, Concordia St. Paul, and Truman State before starting the program.

My recollection is that Cody Poock was originally from Okoboji High School in NW Iowa. Went to the junior colleges to increase his chances for a college scholarship.

While the Hawkeye would say that they recruit NW Iowa, it doesn't seem like they do so as much as the rest of the State. Neither Poock nor Kieft were Hawkeye recruits.

ISU odes but they seem to get more TX and Oklahoma recruits, and KC-area kids.

I like it that the Gophers seem to recruit NW Iowa, at least to a degree.

I stumbled upon that game last night with less than 4 minutes left.

It looked like there were less than 100 people in attendance.
Yeah, in a 55,000 seat stadium. I'd think a few more people would show up just out of curiosity. I probably would. It was a fun game.

Ko Kieft was not from Iowa Western. I think there was a lineman from a few years ago who came in from Iowa Western -- can't remember the name though.

Jeff Jones enrolled there following his time (or lack thereof) with the Gophers.

Edit: After research, Royal Silver, Merrick Jackson, Charlie Rogers and Cody Poock were all from Iowa Western. Recruiting CC/JC was definitely more of a Jerry Kill thing.
The free transfers slowed down juco recruiting. I think it could be an overlooked area we could exploit. Brew recruited jucos a fair amount as well.

Didn't Sam Maresh go there too? Not sure if he ever played for them.

Not directly in Minnesota, but North Dakota State College of Science plays in the MCAC, too, and also fell short in the 2022 title game, unfortunately.

Not directly in Minnesota, but North Dakota State College of Science plays in the MCAC, too, and also fell short in the 2022 title game, unfortunately.
Was that 50 year old guy on the team then?

I wonder if that was a recent change. I remember one of the first two season of Last Chance (probably the 1st one), EMCC was chasing a playoff spot, the NCJAA top 10 was on the screen for a short hit and Rochester(MN) was #2.

I wonder if that was a recent change. I remember one of the first two season of Last Chance (probably the 1st one), EMCC was chasing a playoff spot, the NCJAA top 10 was on the screen for a short hit and Rochester(MN) was #2.
It was recent - 2021.
They also have a D2 in other sports, and they appear to be set up in similar fashion to the NCAA in terms of allowing scholarships.

Poock and Silver are the two most notable that made an impact for Kill's teams. Thanks for the research.

Top Bottom