Another great article from FBT.

Phenomenal article. I really think this is the turning point. I haven't been this excited since the first week of the season.

It really is an exciting time for Gopher football. The next several months could potentially impact our program for our generation and the next. Fingers are crossed!

When Brewster was hired, the admin went on record that the program must be competitive and mediocrity is no longer the standard. Great. Finally!

Yet, for various reasons, they hired a neophyte rather than a proven commodity to accomplish what no one else has done in decades. Huh?? When Holtz left, they hired an assistant with the players full endorsement. Failure. Enter Mason who never won big and often and didn't have the drive to do any better. Failure. And Wacker was sandwiched inbetween. Failure. The UM has been a head coaching graveyard for a long, long time.

FBT's work tells us that all the pieces are now in place to attract a big time Tubby-like coach. Money, stadium, facilities, committment, etc. are there.

After 5 decades of supporting the Gophers and first hand experience of watching a floundering program, this all sounds foreign. I should be excited with the new direction. Right?

How do I spell skeptic?

When Brewster was hired, the admin went on record that the program must be competitive and mediocrity is no longer the standard. Great. Finally!

Yet, for various reasons, they hired a neophyte rather than a proven commodity to accomplish what no one else has done in decades. Huh?? When Holtz left, they hired an assistant with the players full endorsement. Failure. Enter Mason who never won big and often and didn't have the drive to do any better. Failure. And Wacker was sandwiched inbetween. Failure. The UM has been a head coaching graveyard for a long, long time.

FBT's work tells us that all the pieces are now in place to attract a big time Tubby-like coach. Money, stadium, facilities, committment, etc. are there.

After 5 decades of supporting the Gophers and first hand experience of watching a floundering program, this all sounds foreign. I should be excited with the new direction. Right?

How do I spell skeptic?

I feel like you're thinking too hard.

Good article, but i am not going to buy it until we have a new coach at a press conference. My years of watching Minnesota ineptitude and disappointment has jaded me.

Good article, but i am not going to buy it until we have a new coach at a press conference. My years of watching Minnesota ineptitude and disappointment has jaded me.

part of me definitely feels like we're going to screw this up again, I want so badly to be a fan of a dominant program (I wonder what it's like to be a Buckeye fan?). It just seems like all the peices could potentially be in place to turn the corner, after 20 years of watching crap Gopher football, I'm optimistic and excited for the future.

I like Tubby a lot. He seems like a really nice guy.

And, I look at his Big Ten record and I see that he is 26-28 in Big Ten play. He has finished
6th, 7th and 6th in the Big Ten in his three seasons. Is that what everyone is so excieted about?

It is TOUGH to win and finish near the top of the Big Ten more than once in a while.

And, I look at his Big Ten record and I see that he is 26-28 in Big Ten play. He has finished
6th, 7th and 6th in the Big Ten in his three seasons. Is that what everyone is so excieted about?

It is TOUGH to win and finish near the top of the Big Ten more than once in a while.

The three years prior to Tubby the Gophers were 18-30 in the Big Ten. They also hadn't gone to two consecutive tournaments since 1993-1995. People see an upward trend, that's what they are excited about it.

This guy is a good writer. Not only is he a good writer, but it is clear he works his butt off to get the content together. Very impressive.

Great read! thank you for posting it.

However, everything the writer points to seems to be them hiring Leach or Belloti.

He talks about the "Home run, big name, big money, with a track record of winning at the BCS level."

That to me SCREAMS! those two guys names.

Great article! I'm pumped!

I hope the hire puts a big b!tchslap of fear onto our BigTen brethren. I've said it before, and i'll say it again: Minnesota has the biggest sleeping giant potential of any program in Div1 football. Get the thing rolling, and it will move faster than Iowa, wisky, or MSU have done.

Keep this in mind: whoever our guy is will have an amazing opportunity to put a surprise b!tchslap of fear into the rest of college football right away. Just look at our first opponent next season. Do that, and the snowball will start rolling pretty damn fast.

Great expectations are one thing...realistic expectations...

are probably a much more important thing for the long-run.

Pumping and dumping...that is what the brewball experience became in less than four sesons. He pumped and hyped and then we dumped him and threw him under the bus.

Be careful what kind of expectations you talk about. In the end, Big Ten wins minus Big Ten losses will tell us the entire story.

I hope for the best, but I will not get too excited until I have seen how the first Big Ten season of play goes. EVERY Big Ten win is huge and important in year number one. Every Big Ten win in year number one will help build staying power into year number two. Year number three is KEY. Big Ten wins will need to build...to be added. To reach even the Mason level, there will need to be at the very least 8 Big Ten wins in the first three Big Ten seasons.

Will the new coach achieve at least 8 Big Ten wins total by the end of the third Big Ten Football season that coach puts in at Minnesota? Brewster only achieved 6 Big Ten wins in his first three seasons. And he NEVER won another Big Ten game after that.

Or, are you people of great expectations expecting MORE than 8 Big Ten wins in the first three Big Ten seasons?

Expectations can really have a huge impact on a new football coach...for better or for worse.

Wren, you are certainly annoying. Tubby Smith must improve, I don't think any Gopher fan would argue with that. He would have had quite a season last year with Nolen, Mbakwe, and White on the floor. Without those 3 guys, the Gophers lost numerous heartbreakers and went to the finals of the Big Ten tournament. The first year he was at the U he was taking over a team whose best players were Spencer Tollackson and Dan Coleman, yet managed to make the NIT. There's a lot of good signs (continued improvement, ability to land every desired player in the state, ability to consistently play MSU tough) and one big warning sign-inability since year 1 to land out of state talent. The recruting knock has been on Tubby at Kentucky too, so that's the one area to look out for.

Expectations should be high. To keep this football job long term (more than 5 years), the fanbase should feel confident that the team is going to be in the mix for the Big Ten title every few years. You don't arbitrarily set low expecations/goals because you will never exceed them.

If the new coach turns the football team around like Tubby turned around the BB team, I'll take it. Last year was a little disappointing based on our expectations going into the season, but they still finished strong despite numerous distractions. In this, Tubby's fourth season, the feeling is that even if the team doesn't win the Big Ten title, it can compete with anybody in the country. I have never in my lifetime felt that way about Gopher football.

But what if Bruinicks is an academic version of Brewster? Brings passion, says the right thing but no results.

Top Bottom