Annexstad walking

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Annexstad walking

Quarterback Zack Annexstad injured his right foot at the start of training camp and needed surgery. Now about two months removed from that, Fleck said the sophomore’s recovery is moving along well.

Annexstad, who started last season before injuries sidelined him, upgraded from a three-wheel scooter to a four-wheeler last week since he kept having flat tires. But he’s now off it and in a walking boot.

“Was throwing after practice,” Fleck said. “… He was throwing on his scooter, too. I mean, the guy just can’t wait to just throw the football.”

http://www.startribune.com/fleck-hints-at-changing-up-offensive-line/561269452/

Go Gophers!!

For a second I thought this meant he was leaving...

QB controversy!

Good to see he’s doing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QB controversy!

Even if he doesn't play a snap, if ZA is 100% healthy at the end of the year, we will also start seeing TM keep the ball a bit more on the read option. We simply can't risk it right now.

QB controversy!

Oh, I love QB controversies!!!
Put my vote on whoever the less popular QB is.

Even if he doesn't play a snap, if ZA is 100% healthy at the end of the year, we will also start seeing TM keep the ball a bit more on the read option. We simply can't risk it right now.

Don't run the read option...

You're spot on with this. I've sensed that defenses see no quarterback run option from the Gophers and have sold out on the running back, particularly the contain personnel. It's an important element of the offense.

Annexstad walking” sort of. He’s wearing a boot...frown lol ...I was hoping he was really walking. Ha
Especially, since we really don’t know 100% for sure what ails him.
Progress is good!

I think a number of you are still confused on what the RPO is. It's an option between handing the ball off to the RB or passing the ball; hence Run Pass Option. It does not involve (most usually) an option between handing the ball off and keeping it for a run. Morgan isn't reading the defense after the snap to see if he should keep it to run, he's reading to see if his first receiver or two are open, if they are he passes, if they're covered he hands it off. Alternatively the first read can also be the run, if there's a sizable gap in the line he may hand it off before progressing to receivers.

Last edited:

I think a number of you are still confused on what the RPO is. It's an option between handing the ball off to the RB or passing the ball; hence Run Pass Option. It does not involve (most usually) an option between handing the ball off and keeping it for a run. Morgan isn't reading the defense after the snap to see if he should keep it to run, he's reading to see if his first receiver or two are open, if they are he passes, if they're covered he hands it off. Alternatively the first read can also be the run, if there's a sizable gap in the line he may hand it off before progressing to receivers.

I agree with this. But if the QB is perceived as a threat to run, defenses will approach him differently - maybe keep a 'spy' on the QB. if the QB is perceived as no threat to run in any situation, the defense can basically ignore that threat and defense the play differently. So given a choice, especially in college FB, I would always rather have a QB who is capable of running in the right situation - play breaks down, everyone covered, etc. Morgan has shown a little of that.

the real question is whether he doesn't run because he is not capable of running - OR if he doesn't run because the coaches have told him "don't run the frikken' ball."

I didn't say the RPO. I said the "read option". I was specifically talking about running plays where Morgan has the option to keep. I also realize that many of our running plays that look like read options are actually called hand-offs.

All of that said, all of these things work in concert with one another and they are all intended to look really similar to a defense. From the exact same formation and set, you can hand the ball off to the RB, run a read option with the RB and QB, or run an RPO. I get that they are all not called on the exact same play, but they are connected.

Morgan's unwillingness to run (by design, IMO) hurts all three of these types of plays.

If we did not have a read option in our playbook, there would be no reason for Morgan to be "faking" the keep when he hands the ball off in the RPO.

It would serve no purpose, because the defense know he's never actually going to keep it.

If we did not have a read option in our playbook, there would be no reason for Morgan to be "faking" the keep when he hands the ball off in the RPO.

It would serve no purpose, because the defense know he's never actually going to keep it.

It's possible that it's either always called as a handoff or a keep for the QB - same looking play without the hand-off/keep being determined in live action. Frankly I don't know why we wouldn't run it, but a couple people seem pretty adamant that we do not. So I don't know.

That said, the point is exactly the same. He will either keep more in a read option or they will actually call plays for him to fake the hand-off and keep on occasion.

A lot of people might have been sleeping by this point, but Morgan did pull the ball on the road for a TD in OT at FSU.

He did look like he had a bit of a hitch in his giddy up so might by why we're not seeing him pull it often.

Should ZA red shirt this year and not risk getting re-injured by returning too soon? I had pain in ball of my left foot while running. The only it finally healed was to quit running for a while. This Lisfranc injury sounds more serious.

https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/lisfranc-injuries

Last edited:

A lot of people might have been sleeping by this point, but Morgan did pull the ball on the road for a TD in OT at FSU.

He did look like he had a bit of a hitch in his giddy up so might by why we're not seeing him pull it often.

He was moving pretty good on that 3rd and 18 conversion against GSU. He’s no Mike Vick, but he’s fast enough to be a running threat if defenses are caught napping.

My guess is if the coaching staff wanted him to run more, he would.

The upside to showing 80-90+% tendencies is lulling the defense for the right moment to actually go against tendencies - Green throwing, TM keeping, leaking tight ends out, etc for a kill shot.

We don't run the read option. Period. Tanner Morgan is almost never going to run the ball on a designed play. Period. This is irrespective of Zack Annexstad's health. The read option isn't part of the Ciarrocca offense - it never has been and likely never will be. Period.

How many times do I (and others) have to post this? I mean, we're in the third year of this offense - one would think even casual observers would've figured this out by now. This is notwithstanding being told as such for what feels like at least 85 times.

I’ve heard many times from knowledgeable people breaking down the game that we run a number of (inside zone) read option plays. Plays where the QB can opt to hand off or run. Everyone can keep explaining what RPO is and that doesn’t change the fact that we don’t run RPO on every play. It does make you sound really smart tho.

It's a play action. It sucks the LB's in or in the opposite direction for Morgan to throw a slant.

Designed as QB keeper.

I’ve heard many times from knowledgeable people breaking down the game that we run a number of (inside zone) read option plays. Plays where the QB can opt to hand off or run. Everyone can keep explaining what RPO is and that doesn’t change the fact that we don’t run RPO on every play. It does make you sound really smart tho.

No, you haven't heard that, because it isn't true. We run inside zone. We do not run read option.

If you did hear that somewhere, that person is ill-informed and mistaken.

No, you haven't heard that, because it isn't true. We run inside zone. We do not run read option.

If you did hear that somewhere, that person is ill-informed and mistaken.

Yes, someone is mistaken.

Yes, someone is mistaken.

If you have "heard it many times," it should be easy to post many examples. Please share - I'd love to read these so-called knowledgeable people making complete fools of themselves.

Top Bottom