Ann Arbor, Champaign, and South Bend have worst college football writers in America (along with 14 other dinks)

swingman

Reaction score
17 AP voters have no spots in top 25 for Gophs.

Asmussen from Champaign, McNann from Ann Arbor, and Berardino from South Bend have no excuses to not be aware of how good Gophs are.

Rest are southern, western and eastern dinks:

San Diego, New Haven, Seattle, Orange County, San Jose, Austin, Athens, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge, Salem OR, Salt Lake, College Station, Dallas, and Durham

I can think of other things to worry about lol.

Boggles my mind that 17 AP voters don’t find the Gophers to be among the top 25 teams given how thoroughly dominating we’ve been so far. Especially coming off of a 9-win season. If that doesn’t prove some anti-Minnesota bias in the media—whether intentional or not—I’m not sure what does.

Interesting to see Rece Davis has been with us from the start.

Must have seen something he respected...

I've wondered myself. The BTN team visited every school's practices and were high on the Gophs from the start. It makes me wonder if Reece has some connection with them.

Well, my question would be this:

how much "research" do these writers do before voting?

First, you're always going to be more familiar with teams in your area. that's what makes the Michigan and Illinois ones.....interesting. for writers in the South, East or West, they probably don't know much, if anything, about MN. So they're voting on reputation, and the Gophers still have work to do to establish themselves as a 'national' team.

and then, there are writers, I suspect, who vote for or against certain teams depending on how they feel about the coaches. vote for guys you like, vote against guys you don't like.

I honestly don't think a lot of these people spend a great deal of time researching and studying other teams. they fill out the ballot and send it in, because they have to.

Berardino from South Bend

He used to work for the Pioneer Press.

He has a messed up ranking.

He has 3-1 Texas A&M ranked 11th. Did he forget they lost to App State?

He has 3-1 Oregon ranked seventh.

He has 3-1 BYU ranked 12th, 3-1 Arkansas ranked 14th (despite almost losing to Missouri State), 3-1 Texas Tech ranked 25th

He has 4-0 USC ranked 17th (actually 6th) and 4-0 Penn State ranked 19th (actually 11th).

He has Georgia ranked 3rd.

Last edited:

Top Bottom