Andy Katz: Great convo with Ben Johnson here at O’Hare. He’s flying with optimism about Gopher MBB going forward. On the transfer recruiting trail

Andy is a good guy, but a big part of his job is pumping up the B1G. Forgive the cynicism, but would Andy say anything different about any other coach he ran into in the TSA line at O'Hare?

BTW, the conversation had to be longer than five minutes caught in that labyrinth of an airport.

Andy is a good guy, but a big part of his job is pumping up the B1G. Forgive the cynicism, but would Andy say anything different about any other coach he ran into in the TSA line at O'Hare?

BTW, the conversation had to be longer than five minutes caught in that labyrinth of an airport.
Pretty much. He loved Richard too. I haven't heard him discuss a B1G coach he doesn't love. They're all doing a great job.

I really enjoy Andy Katz the writer, but when he was in studio inn BTT I wanted to reach into the TV and strangle him until his eyes popped out of their sockets. He's a good writer don't understand why he was trying to turn himself into a character/clown show

If a writer/broadcaster really does not like a coach, he's generally not going to trash the guy - he just won't talk about them.

So I suspect that Katz does genuinely like Johnson - or at least likes Johnson's attitude/approach.

sometimes, what you don't say speaks louder than what you do say.

I really enjoy Andy Katz the writer, but when he was in studio inn BTT I wanted to reach into the TV and strangle him until his eyes popped out of their sockets. He's a good writer don't understand why he was trying to turn himself into a character/clown show
What about Medcalf of late? He has been sideline reporting during the NIT games. He is so dry and his schtick seems to be sport coats - stealing from Craig Sager.

No offense, but anyone with a modicum of understanding about basketball could look at the 2021-22 Gophers basketball team and conclude that Johnson did more with less than most coaches could hope to accomplish. I was against axing Pitino due to the talent drain, but after a month of pre-conference viewing I ate crow. Johnson's team actually ran an offense. With 99% turnover on the roster, he created a culture and cultivated a strong defensive minded team identity. He and Thorsen are the two best hires in my lifetime (not accounting for the short-cut approach employed by Haskins--which I enjoyed but hey we got caught and since we aren't a blueblood we got punished). In any event, I am confident Johnson will find mediocre to great commits and continue to do more with less over time. It looks and feels like an Madison West environment is on its way. In time, I think Bucky will have to find its own talent in the near future save for those recruits who will continue to want that "only show in town" college vibe.

Top Bottom