Andre Hollins discusses his role as Grad Assistant and the mentoring role he's playing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

GS: How did it come about? How did you and Coach Pitino come to this situation here with the club?
AH:
I spoke to him about if I was going to retire or not. Seeing what the situation was going to be like for them next year. This was also pre-COVID. He said he would love to have me, but then COVID happened and we weren't sure if it was going to happen, but everything ended up working out in the end.

GS: As a mentor, what kinds of things can you bring to these guys and help them along in their college career.
AH:
Obviously being one of Coach Pitino's former players, I understand his style. I'll be especially helping the freshmen out with the mental aspect and changing their mentality with it being their first time in college and playing at a high level like this. As far as the guys already there, I've been through it. I'll give them tips and tricks of the trade that kind of propelled me in my career. Like I said, just to be a resource from reading plays to anything in life honestly. Schoolwork or whatever they want to talk about, just being that resource for the guys and pay it back forward. Guys helped me, so I want to relay that information and knowledge back to them.

GS: I wanted to ask you too about being back around and what's that like? Just to be back and be able to show up every day at Williams Arena, what's that part been like?
AH:
It brings back memories, it's nostalgic. It brings me back to the time that I was playing. When we took down Indiana, the practices early in the morning, and trying to pack into Austin [Hollins] car to get into Williams Arena. It's incredible and now I'm on the other side of it and looking at the game differently. Honestly, it's a great position to be in.

MG: As part of this grad manager position, you're in school and it sounds like you've got quite a class load here at the U of M.
AH:
I'm back at Carlson pursuing my MBA. The class schedule is pretty rigorous. These next couple years are going to be pretty rigorous for me, but I'm making that pivot into the real world. I think that doing both of these will help me be the best that I can be in the end.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom