An Update From Mark Coyle - May 8, 2020

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Gophers,

I hope this note finds you and your loved ones safe and healthy.

This is a challenging and historic time in the world. The novel coronavirus has affected all of us in different ways. Our University community, which includes the athletic department, is facing some unknowns as it collectively navigates these choppy waters.

Earlier today, Rhonda McFarland, who is our Deputy AD and Chief Financial Officer, and myself had the opportunity to present to the Board of Regents about how COVID-19 has affected our sporting landscape. I want to thank the Board, President Joan Gabel and Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren for their continued support of athletics and guidance during these past few months. You can view our presentation here and watch a replay of the Board meeting here.

In previous times of national uncertainty, people have turned to sports as part of the healing process. And no doubt they will again. I talk daily with fellow athletic directors in the Big Ten and with some of the most prominent collegiate sports leaders in the nation. The situations that we will encounter will not be unique to Minnesota. Every University and athletic department in the country will be faced with circumstances similar to ours as they begin to emerge from these troubling times.

One question that people keep asking is, "When will college sports return?" While we do not know that answer, we do know that sports will continue to be part of the fabric of this University, community and state.

I view sports as the great connector, a common rallying point that has that ability to bond strangers and the best of friends. Sports are about so much more than what happens on the field, ice or court.

Sports are about moments and memories.

They are about photos with Goldy, road trips to away games, tailgating with friends and yearly reunions with college roommates. Sports are about catching a foul ball or waiting out a rain delay with another hot dog and Coke. They are about singing the rouser, storming the field and rushing the court. Sports are about Saturday watch parties in Maroon and Gold basements and serve as a natural conversation starter at holiday gatherings. They are about superstitions and always sitting in the same seat or wearing the same lucky sweatshirt, hat or socks. They are about newborn outfits and photos of loved ones who are no longer with us.

Sports are about lifting others up.

Some of my favorite memories of my time at Minnesota involve our football team's charitable efforts surrounding their diaper drives, turkey drives, school supplies drive and canned food drives. They are about team visits to the University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital and about cancer survivor Casey O'Brien receiving the Disney Spirit Award on ESPN. They are about our volleyball team's newest member Cora, which was facilitated through Team Impact

Sports are about hope.

Hope for a better tomorrow. Hope for another opportunity at glory, another historic season, another buzzer beater on the road, another between-the-legs shootout goal and another no-hitter. They are about sportsmanship and helping your competitor cross the finish line when they are not strong enough to reach it themselves. They are about giving your best even when your best isn't good enough. They are about never giving up.

I do not know when we will compete again, but I do know that we will be here for you when that time comes. We will be ready to provide those memories and moments. We will be ready to inspire and lift others up. We will be ready to spread hope.

If there is anything our staff can do to assist you, please don't hesitate to reach out. We are here if you need us – [email protected] or 1-800-U-GOPHER.

Be safe, practice social distancing and know that we will get through this together.

Go Gophers and United Are We!

Mark

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom