An eerie personal story for a slow day on the Hole (longish)

vaporboy

Patiently waiting in Pasadena
Reaction score
In 2005, shortly after the Gophers brief appearance in the NCAA tournament, I moved into a new apartment in sunny Southern California. I promised my wife we’d have some more living things in the new place because it was so dark and dreary, so I surprised her by bringing her to Pet Smart and picking out a Beta fish.

Now I was still in my post NCAA basketball withdrawal period and I couldn’t help thinking about all the possibilities for MN’s upcoming season. I thought, if we can make it to the Big Dance with that rag-tag crew, we should be even better next year with Hargrow, Boone, Stamper and Grier coming back (how delusional the Monson era made me!). So what better way to support the guys than naming our new Beta Adam Boone, after the 6th year senior, hopeful leader, and UNC transfer.

At some point it became clear that Adam Boone, the fish, was not as spry and healthy as we thought. He had the tell-tale signs of aquatic disease, Ich; the white spots, difficulty eating, etc. Of course Adam Boone the basketball player also, it seemed, was no longer as spry and fluid as he once was and the Golden boys ended their season and Boone’s career with an uneventful trip to the NIT.

Strangely, the fish survived and lived a long fish life including being dumped to the floor by our toddler child and a constant cat attack. I think the fish to human year conversion is about 15:1, so he was almost 60 years old when the Gophers returned to that premier NCAA event this year.

Finally, the day after the flop against the Texas Longhorns, Adam Boone went belly up, literally. So a new era of Minnesota basketball officially begins in our household this off-season and any suggestions for a name for our new Beta are welcome.

vaporboy

Being that fish live in water, and water is essential for a bath tub, and our head coach's name is (you get my drift), how about Tubmeister?

You could just kill 2 birds with one stone and get a goldfish and name him goldy....

With all due respect to the late Beta Adam Boone, the story is quite cute and funny.

If the Beta fish means a hex will be put on it's namesake, then no better name would be Beta Bo Ryan. That way when said Beta #2 meets its final resting spot, a wink of the eye and a smile on the face will greet the flush that sends Mr. Ryan to his appropriate finale.

Go Gophers!!

Good thing you didn't name your fish Kris Collins...

Hmmm...

I like where Shik is taking this, so how about Ralph Salmon III?

Damian John-sunfish

Devron Fishstick

Shark Shooter Blake Hoffarber

Trevor Muskellunge

Eel Nolen

Top Bottom