Amir Coffey Makes NBA Debut With Los Angeles Clippers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Former Minnesota Golden Gopher guard Amir Coffey made his National Basketball Association debut Tuesday night, appearing for the Los Angeles Clippers in their 105-87 victory over the Sacramento Kings.

Coffey, who starred for the Gophers for three seasons before signing a two-way contract with the Clippers this past summer, checked into the game at the 56-second mark in the fourth quarter. He becomes the 42nd Gopher player to play in the NBA, and the first since Kris Humphries last did so in 2017.

The Hopkins, Minn., native was an All-Big Ten selection twice for the Maroon and Gold, earning third team honors last season and All-Freshman accolades in 2017. He helped lead the Gophers to two NCAA Tournament berth, including last season's second-round appearance. Coffey finished his college career scoring 1,255 points while appearing in 87 games, all as a starter, while also totaling 277 assists and 331 rebounds along with 81 steals.

Go Gophers!!

Good to see him thrive but man what this season could’ve been if he stayed. Tough to fault him though. He gave us some good years.

Up by about 20 points with less than a minute to play, and he gets to sub in. Guess it's better than never getting to play at all...

Up by about 20 points with less than a minute to play, and he gets to sub in. Guess it's better than never getting to play at all...

I mean he is in the NBA. That was his goal. Can't argue with that fact

Ater thinking about it I think he made the right call if his goal was to get into the NBA. His usage rate couldn't have been higher last year with him running point. This season he would have been back at the 4 with Oturu, Kalscheur, and Carr all getting theirs.

What a team we could've had if he stayed though...

Wonder how many games you have to play to get a ring. Clippers have a good shot of winning it all this year. Hopefully this is the new norm with Gophers sprinkled all over the NBA

Yeah, most kids who ever pick up a basketball dream of playing in the NBA. Amir accomplished that dream - on a guaranteed contract with the LA Clippers.

So yes, playing in the NBA is significantly better than never playing at all.

I really wish Gopher "fans" would just cheer for this kid, he played his heart out for us and pursued (and accomplished) his dream. Gophers playing in the NBA is really good for this program.

Congratulations Amir! Anyone making snide remarks or downplaying it, man, get a life, and get over it (Amir leaving after junior year).

Incredible accomplishment! It certainly can't hurt Pitino selling his product to prospects, either. He's now helped put a guy in the NBA, and another one is on the way either this spring or the following one.

Now need the program to continue upward trajectory, find consistent success in both Big Ten and postseason (NCAA).

Wonder how many games you have to play to get a ring. Clippers have a good shot of winning it all this year. Hopefully this is the new norm with Gophers sprinkled all over the NBA
If they win it all, he's probably included in the ring list. I know a guy from the Patriots that's a lower level trainer in the locker room (mostly gets to pick up towels) and he gets rings from their Super Bowls.

Being able to say you've played in the NBA is a big deal. Congrats to him for getting onto the floor. Hope he gets more time to show what he can do.

Plus, he is making solid money and flying around on private jets, eating great meals and living in LA. I'm pretty sure that all overrides any thoughts about what could have been with the Gophers this year.

This is gonna blow yer mind- everyone from the Team MVP to the lady in the front office get rings.

Pretty crazy to think Amir’s going to spend the next few years on one of the real title favorites. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’re grooming him into that sixth man scorer role Lou Williams plays (his contract’s up in 2021). Potential to be a better defender with his size and creator with the ball in his hands with the second unit. I think he’s shown in the few stints he’s got in NBA games and definitely in the G League that he can be instant offense. I’m pumped for him, he landed in a dream spot. Kawhi, Doc and Jerry West upstairs are three of the better guys to learn from in the league.

Hoping Dan lands in a similar situation when he decides to make the jump, maybe somewhere like San Antonio, Miami or Brooklyn with the way they’ve done a great job of developing guys.

I was at the Clippers wolves game and watched Amir with my buddy who is also a big gopher fan. He definitely looked like he belonged on the court. He may not ever become more than a reserve, but we both agreed that with his skill and athleticism, the fluidity of the NBA was better suited for his game than college ball where things are sloppier and can grind to a halt.

He made the right choice. A lot of users thought he made the wrong choice last year. They are pretty quiet this year. Oturu this year and Carr next year could be 3 years in a row the Gophers send a player to the NBA. That should help tremendously with in state 4 and possibly 5 stars

If Coffey had come back this year he would probably be in consideration for conference player of the year and in this upcoming "weak draft" he probably stood a chance to actually be drafted. Clearly it worked out either way as he has made an NBA team anyway and is getting a chance to play. I thought it was a mistake because why would you leave early if you're not projected to be drafted. Obviously with the G-league playing a bigger role now, getting drafted not as important anymore and there is still a clear path to the league without a team actually selecting you on draft night.

He made the right choice. A lot of users thought he made the wrong choice last year. They are pretty quiet this year. Oturu this year and Carr next year could be 3 years in a row the Gophers send a player to the NBA. That should help tremendously with in state 4 and possibly 5 stars
His size and shot mechanics make me wonder what kind of projection he'll get from the pros, but he checks a lot of the other boxes to be able to latch on somewhere.

His size and shot mechanics make me wonder what kind of projection he'll get from the pros, but he checks a lot of the other boxes to be able to latch on somewhere.
I doubt he would ever get drafted, but he could try a similar route to Amir

Last night against the Celtics with the score close, Coffey came in during the 3rd quarter and played into the 4th for 13 straight minutes. He played great D on Kemba Walker by bothering him with his length.

Hope he continues to get the minutes! My son already has Amir's Clippers jersey.

Go Gophers!

I tried watching the NBA for the first time in a decade last night just to see Amir in the Clippers jersey. I couldn't do it. Made it about 12 minutes of game time and didnt see Amir. Like watching paint dry. Good luck to Amir - I hope he makes a ton of money.

Good to have someone representing the Gophs in the NBA. If Oturu leaves this year it would be 2 local phenoms committed to gophers and then moved to success in NBA. Framing it up like that is probably painful for some of you wanting to spin news in a negative light. Tough to spin those two as anything but a positive though...

Top Bottom