All Things Steven Crowl Thread (UPDATED: Crowl commits to UW)

He doesn't have much time to lay with. 3 slots can fill up in a hurry.

He doesn't have much time to lay with. 3 slots can fill up in a hurry.
Badgers can have him, he's a defensive liability and without Bo Ryan, Gard isn't going to fix that

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Badgers can have him, he's a defensive liability and without Bo Ryan, Gard isn't going to fix that

Not my kind of player but i would not sell Gard short as he went 14-6 last year. Bo left him down 2 recruiting classes and he was still the fastest to 40 wins in conference history.

Crowl is a P5 talent, but I don't see him being more than a role player at the next level, he is extremely stiff, not overly athletic, relies too much on his size,and checks out games when things aren't going well. Don't see him contributing much before being an upperclassman and will require a bit of coaching to get to that point. Every team could use role players, but it isn't someone your going to cry about if ends up elsewhere, I am not concerned about his recruitment regardless of how it works out with him.

Not my kind of player but i would not sell Gard short as he went 14-6 last year. Bo left him down 2 recruiting classes and he was still the fastest to 40 wins in conference history.
Did most of that with Bo's guys, look how they finished last year. Gard is a fine coach on offense, but he doesn't Demand defense like Bo did.

Did most of that with Bo's guys, look how they finished last year. Gard is a fine coach on offense, but he doesn't Demand defense like Bo did.

Do we really have to go through this again for one guy? He has been to the NCAA tourney in 3 of the 4 years he has been HC including 2 sweet 16's, nearly 2 elite 8's. Built is right about Bo checking out of recruiting in the end. If you asked Gard he would not tell you that. He would take the blame himself. Sleep on Gard if you like but it would be a mistake.

Crowl is a P5 talent, but I don't see him being more than a role player at the next level, he is extremely stiff, not overly athletic, relies too much on his size,and checks out games when things aren't going well. Don't see him contributing much before being an upperclassman and will require a bit of coaching to get to that point. Every team could use role players, but it isn't someone your going to cry about if ends up elsewhere, I am not concerned about his recruitment regardless of how it works out with him.

Agree with this 100%.

Not a difference maker but a functional player as a Junior/Senior.

Committing to Wisconsin, don't think Pitino and staff was very high on him and sounds like a lot of other schools walked back offers, like I said before good luck to the kid but I think we can do better than him

Reminds me of Illikainen. No loss at all for Gophs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wait. Did Pitino offer him? If so does Pitino make it a habit to offer kids hes not high on?

Wait. Did Pitino offer him? If so does Pitino make it a habit to offer kids hes not high on?

He was high on him orginally, so we're many other schools, however his play came back to earth and it became clear that he was just having a really good stretch showcased his potential but was still a project at next level. Minnesota didn't take the offer back like other schools but did want him to wait to see how the incoming class came along before taking his commitment, crowl was not happy about that.

Pitino like most college coaches offer alot of players, they may have liked him but not as much as they liked the other bigs they are after. Offers really dont mean much.

He was high on him orginally, so we're many other schools, however his play came back to earth and it became clear that he was just having a really good stretch showcased his potential but was still a project at next level. Minnesota didn't take the offer back like other schools but did want him to wait to see how the incoming class came along before taking his commitment, crowl was not happy about that.

So did Pitino tell him not to commit because we were waiting on other offers? I find it hard to believe Crowl was going to commit to MN but was told we would not accept, seemed like he has been unhappy with us for awhile. First we waited too long to offer and then this, according to other posters at least. Didn't seem like Crowl really wanted to play here anyway considering all the noise around his recruitment and him never seemingly happy with the way the Gopher approached it.

Crowl seems like the type of player that would make Gopher fans cringe every time he comes in the game, like Elliot Elliason or Bakary Konate. Not too disappointed he’s going to wisco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did Pitino tell him not to commit because we were waiting on other offers? I find it hard to believe Crowl was going to commit to MN but was told we would not accept, seemed like he has been unhappy with us for awhile. First we waited too long to offer and then this, according to other posters at least. Didn't seem like Crowl really wanted to play here anyway considering all the noise around his recruitment and him never seemingly happy with the way the Gopher approached it.

He just got strung along by Pitino and staff(happens all the time in recruiting), they had interest, but he wasn't a top priority nor were they worried about missing out on him if he committed elsewhere, he was a backup plan at best, players who are backup plans get strung along, Duke is currently attempting to do that with Garcia, some times it works, some times it doesn't.

For whatever it's worth, I've heard rumblings that Northern Iowa was really his only other commitable offer outside of Wisconsin. Other schools were trying to string him along as well.

Crowl seems like the type of player that would make Gopher fans cringe every time he comes in the game, like Elliot Elliason or Bakary Konate. Not too disappointed he’s going to wisco

I've said it before in this thread, I don't see him being more than a role player at P5 level and that he would take a lot of coaching to even reach that point, Wisconsin is a good fit for him, if it is ever going to work out for him anywhere it is there. I think the Gopher fan base here wouldn't have the patience for him, he is extremely raw and not athletic, people are already frustrated with Omersa, and Omersa is much better athletic talent/potential.

He’s a tall white guy. He would have become the scapegoat for every loss before too long.

Was not a fan but that does not mean he will not become a wonderful player. They have a long history of building great teams. Hell, that team people made fun of went 14-6 last year. Duke is not stringing along Garcia, he does not have a offer. Crowl had a offer here. Jeter says their offers are go to go . I hope so as i am a strong believer that for non blue bloods that it is first come first serve. That is why schools i follow offer early and then add offers as the timeline stretches. Pretty sure he could have said yes day one. In the end it does not matter, he did not want to be here.

Was not a fan but that does not mean he will not become a wonderful player. They have a long history of building great teams. Hell, that team people made fun of went 14-6 last year. Duke is not stringing along Garcia, he does not have a offer. Crowl had a offer here. Jeter says their offers are go to go . I hope so as i am a strong believer that for non blue bloods that it is first come first serve. That is why schools i follow offer early and then add offers as the timeline stretches. Pretty sure he could have said yes day one. In the end it does not matter, he did not want to be here.
Decent chance that he didn't want to be here.

But GuyFawkes is typically looped in. Sounds like the interest on the side of the Gophers was mild at best. Cold fish is you are playing that old that love test hand grab game.

I see this news and I say....GOOD! Let the Badgers deal with Ickynin #2.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Decent chance that he didn't want to be here.

But GuyFawkes is typically looped in. Sounds like the interest on the side of the Gophers was mild at best. Cold fish is you are playing that old that love test hand grab game.

I see this news and I say....GOOD! Let the Badgers deal with Ickynin #2.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Said i was not a fan of his but we never pulled the offer. There was a ton of communication . He picked a place where they will take advantage of the red shirt.

For me: This goes in the good news column. (Crowl choosing Wisconsin) Not Built allowing Pitino to coach another day. That would go in the ignore his opinion on Pitino column. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I've said it before in this thread, I don't see him being more than a role player at P5 level and that he would take a lot of coaching to even reach that point, Wisconsin is a good fit for him, if it is ever going to work out for him anywhere it is there. I think the Gopher fan base here wouldn't have the patience for him, he is extremely raw and not athletic, people are already frustrated with Omersa, and Omersa is much better athletic talent/potential.

What is your definition of talent or athleticism? Just because Omersa can touch probably a foot over the basket does not make him a better talent. I don’t know a ton about Crowl and he may be raw as you say, but a key part of basketball is putting the ball in the basket. Crowl can already shoot 3s and is much taller than Omersa. Omersa struggles to hit the rim on free throws.

Last edited:

Omersa has a great positive attitude! Crowl not so much.

Omersa has a great positive attitude! Crowl not so much.

You guys know that stuff better than I do in this case but I’m sorry, in 2019, give me the fluid 6’10” guy that can shoot and just needs to put on weight over the 6’6” guy that can jump out of the gym but will likely never develop a shot. I think Omersa could be a nice player as soon as next year but his shot and control need a lot of work.

Of course Crowl maybe fits Wisky better but the point remains that I’ll take the guy that will likely be a much more efficient offensive player.

If his attitude is truly terrible than maybe I would pass, but I’m not sure Omersa is the type of player to carry us anywhere even with a good attitude.

Last edited:

What is your definition of talent or athleticism? Just because Omersa can touch probably a foot over the basket does not make him a better talent. I don’t know a ton about Crowl and he may be raw as you say, but a key part of basketball is putting the ball in the basket. Crowl can already shoot 3s and is much taller than Omersa. Omersa struggles to hit the rim on free throws.

Committed today and is already an accomplished shooter from the collegiate three point distance...?

Top Bottom