All Things Gabe Madsen Recruitment Thread (Rochester Mayo 2020 Guard; Gophs Offered)

As nice as it may seem to play with your brother, Gabe has to make the best decision for himself. Each player has a different style and fits into a team’s plans differently. It is in Mason’s best interest to find the best fit for himself and not try to be forced into a package deal. Even if they do go to the same school, how much playing time would Mason get if he was considered a “roster filler”? I am not trying to diminish Mason’s ability, just think it would be best for him to go to a school that is excited to get him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gabe to U of M and Mason to St. Thomas? There's a lot of MIAC (plus St. Thomas) schools that would certainly be excited to have Mason on the roster. Light it up in Div III and transfer?

Gabe to U of M and Mason to St. Thomas? There's a lot of MIAC (plus St. Thomas) schools that would certainly be excited to have Mason on the roster. Light it up in Div III and transfer?

Ah, the old "he wouldn't be a big time player for the Gophers, therefore he should be playing D3" bit. Classic.

Is St. Thomas considered division III in stature? I think I heard they were being kicked out for being too dominant.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

My sources tell me Madsen LOVED his Gopher visit. Really liked Pitino, practice, the facilities, etc. and they are definitely a front runner. His only complaint was summer practice wasn't as intense as he would have liked to see but his dad assured him that regular season practices would be more intense.

My sources tell me Madsen LOVED his Gopher visit. Really liked Pitino, practice, the facilities, etc. and they are definitely a front runner. His only complaint was summer practice wasn't as intense as he would have liked to see but his dad assured him that regular season practices would be more intense.

Sounds like his dad wants him to be a Gopher

Is it selfish that I want Madsen and Walton in the same class? I know we only have 3 and need a big/ball handler but I think they will both be very nice 4 year players, and you could probably have them at the 2 and 3 at the same time.

Is it selfish that I want Madsen and Walton in the same class? I know we only have 3 and need a big/ball handler but I think they will both be very nice 4 year players, and you could probably have them at the 2 and 3 at the same time.
I'd take them both and a big. But I also like the PG, as much as I like Carr, never let anyone get too comfortable

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Have to like a guy who wants practices to be more intense. That's a really good sign.

If he wants to be a Gopher he should pull the trigger now.

He very well may like the Gophers, but he is going to play with his brother.

I'd take them both and a big. But I also like the PG, as much as I like Carr, never let anyone get too comfortable

If you could get a guy like Suggs then I'd say get a PG, otherwise a combo guard like Mashburn would be perfect, from the preliminary reports it seems like Greenlee is going to be more than serviceable at PG. I just wouldn't make that a priority.

If you could get a guy like Suggs then I'd say get a PG, otherwise a combo guard like Mashburn would be perfect, from the preliminary reports it seems like Greenlee is going to be more than serviceable at PG. I just wouldn't make that a priority.
You can never have enough IMO, especially if they can shoot. Plus you want make guys compete for minutes, if you dont That's how you end up with a Carlos Morris in 2014-15 where there is no accountability for bad play

Brannen is pretty damn impressive. Good luck to the Madsen boys.

Good luck to both of them. I would have loved to have Gabe here but am glad that the staff didn't use a scholarship on Mason to get him.

I have a feeling in 2-3 years Gopher fans are going to be wondering why we didn’t offer both Gabe and Mason. Mason’s going to be a solid D1 player, too.

Makes Walton very, very important now! Or we are back to no shooters once again.

Athletes are great but the game has evolved to value 3 point shooters so much!

It's like the blind spot in baseball...without great relievers you gotta score 8 plus runs to just have a chance to win.

Makes Walton very, very important now! Or we are back to no shooters once again.

Athletes are great but the game has evolved to value 3 point shooters so much!

It's like the blind spot in baseball...without great relievers you gotta score 8 plus runs to just have a chance to win.

Shooters play a huge role and so does defending people.

I have a feeling in 2-3 years Gopher fans are going to be wondering why we didn’t offer both Gabe and Mason. Mason’s going to be a solid D1 player, too.

You may be right, and honestly I hope you are as both brothers seem like class acts. I just don't see it with Mason. I see his ceiling a fundamentally sound player who is solid off the bench but is very comparable to a Mathew Hurt type impact at best.

It's not really fair to wonder why Pitino didn't offer both brothers after the fact if they have success. Wisconsin didn't offer both brothers, Iowa considered it but I don't believe they ever pulled the trigger. Gabe had Minnesota, Marquette, Northwestern, and Virginia Tech all offer him and not Mason. It was an evaluation that a lot of programs made, not just Minnesota. With Xavier filling up on guards, Cincy was the only school above the mid major level that offered both brothers. The one thing you can say is that Mason had better offers than Bryan Greenlee, though maybe Greenlee is a better fit for what Pitino wants to do. It would be interesting to see if Pitino got the grad transfer from UNT and didn't take Greenlee if he would have taken Mason with what would have been a 4th available scholarship for 2020 just to get on the board. They seem like good kids and its cool that they prioritized playing together. I am sure there mom and dad will love never having to choose who to go see or who to watch live and who to dvr.

It's not really fair to wonder why Pitino didn't offer both brothers after the fact if they have success. Wisconsin didn't offer both brothers, Iowa considered it but I don't believe they ever pulled the trigger. Gabe had Minnesota, Marquette, Northwestern, and Virginia Tech all offer him and not Mason. It was an evaluation that a lot of programs made, not just Minnesota. With Xavier filling up on guards, Cincy was the only school above the mid major level that offered both brothers. The one thing you can say is that Mason had better offers than Bryan Greenlee, though maybe Greenlee is a better fit for what Pitino wants to do. It would be interesting to see if Pitino got the grad transfer from UNT and didn't take Greenlee if he would have taken Mason with what would have been a 4th available scholarship for 2020 just to get on the board. They seem like good kids and its cool that they prioritized playing together. I am sure there mom and dad will love never having to choose who to go see or who to watch live and who to dvr.

UW did not offer either brother. Agree that you can not look back after the fact on how they do at Cincy. Pitino wanted Gabe, it did not work out.

UW did not offer either brother. Agree that you can not look back after the fact on how they do at Cincy. Pitino wanted Gabe, it did not work out.
I can't remember the timeline but I think Gabe started blowing up and the gophs offered after the Badgers locked up the Davis Twins, with three guard/wings, just wasn't a need. It'll be interesting to see which set of twins has a better career. The PG Johnny? Probably the best one of the bunch, but I'd put Gabe ahead of the other twin Jordan? And then him ahead of Mason. Get Berry, Walton and a big and it's the better classes in the league, with the core of your team coming back next year

I can't remember the timeline but I think Gabe started blowing up and the gophs offered after the Badgers locked up the Davis Twins, with three guard/wings, just wasn't a need. It'll be interesting to see which set of twins has a better career. The PG Johnny? Probably the best one of the bunch, but I'd put Gabe ahead of the other twin Jordan? And then him ahead of Mason. Get Berry, Walton and a big and it's the better classes in the league, with the core of your team coming back next year

It will be interesting to see who does better but the Badgers were not going to offer Madsen, they like Davis a lot more. Berry, Walton and Carlson would be a top 6 class in the conference but it will not be Carlson.

Top Bottom