All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

My apologies if I have missed this but do we have any idea when Garcia is planning on announcing?

I have heard Garcia spends MOST of his time in Minnesota. Hard to believe that is a coincidence. I see him committing here because why else is he constantly in the state????

There is something on Rivals that says Garcia narrowed his list to 4 schools last night. Anybody know which those are?

There is something on Rivals that says Garcia narrowed his list to 4 schools last night. Anybody know which those are?

Memphis, Marquette, Indiana, Minnesota

Memphis has two PFs incoming this fall- one transfer and DJ Jeffries #52 recruit . They are also after Muscadin and another 5* PF

Last edited:

Thanks! Those are the ones I would have guessed (obviously due to the visits). I hate to be too optimistic, but I really like our chances against those four.

Thanks! Those are the ones I would have guessed (obviously due to the visits). I hate to be too optimistic, but I really like our chances against those four.

I suppose it's always possible that Dawson spurns the hometown team and commits to the Gopherhole but I see that as a longshot. :)

Memphis has two PFs incoming this fall- one transfer and DJ Jeffries #52 recruit . They are also after Muscadin and another 5* PF

I thought I read that Marquette also got a couple forward commits? It may come down to us and Indiana

If we lose Garcia to Indy or Marquette, that would be a real kick to the marbles. I keep hoping every time I visit to see the headline that reads “Garcia cancels visit to Indiana and commits to the Gophers”. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we lose Garcia to Indy or Marquette, that would be a real kick to the marbles. I keep hoping every time I visit to see the headline that reads “Garcia cancels visit to Indiana and commits to the Gophers”. [emoji16]

It would be a tough blow considering our potential next season with Garcia, but if he does choose to go elsewhere it is safe to say the Gophers have done basically everything they can except paying him under the table to get him to come here. Hopefully the hometown draw and immediate playing time will be enough. Not sure what Indiana can offer other than history.

It would be a tough blow considering our potential next season with Garcia, but if he does choose to go elsewhere it is safe to say the Gophers have done basically everything they can except paying him under the table to get him to come here. Hopefully the hometown draw and immediate playing time will be enough. Not sure what Indiana can offer other than history.

I'm feeling very confident about Garcia being a Gopher.

You never know what can happen in the next day or two!

I'm feeling very confident about Garcia being a Gopher.

You never know what can happen in the next day or two!

Thanks! I needed a shot of optimism regarding Garcia. I’ll take another glass, please, even though I don’t drink. Care to share more about the source of your positivity?

Come on Dawson, sign up with the Gophers! No need for that Indy trip, although it’s a paid experience to see their campus. Go things are happening in Gopher land!

I'm pessimistic on officials. Schools pull out all the stops, huge productions, VIP perks (and who knows "what else"), high-pressure sales jobs. Parents there, which can help too ... or hurt.

If he really wants to be a Gopher, I say cancel the visit. If he goes on the visit, I don't think he'll come here. But if I'm wrong, great!

I'm pessimistic on officials. Schools pull out all the stops, huge productions, VIP perks (and who knows "what else"), high-pressure sales jobs. Parents there, which can help too ... or hurt.

If he really wants to be a Gopher, I say cancel the visit. If he goes on the visit, I don't think he'll come here. But if I'm wrong, great!

And you know someone like Oladipo will just happen to be there during the visit.

Its hard for me to be a GOPHER fan and current IU parent (Sophomore) and watch any kids from Minny come here to play ball instead of staying home. I mean IU is a nice campus, but bloomington isnt the Twin Cities. The weather here is sorta the same, not nearly as much snow and cold, but ice storms & thunderstorms just love that part of Indiana, and damn is it HOT on campus during the summer. My kid went to school with David Bell (Warren Central/Purdue WR) and to have him talk *&^#$* to Romeo Langford everytime he saw him at IU for losing HS basketball championship to a football player/athlete is fun to listen to. I am optimistic that here in the very near future minnesota HS players will see the GOPHERS as a team to play for. If you can play, someone will find you and find room on a roster, the rest is up to the player to make his/her future bright. Good luck to US all in this recruiting process and the season.

Wouldn't Garcia be taking Race Thompson's potential minutes or at least competing with him for minutes?

Its hard for me to be a GOPHER fan and current IU parent (Sophomore) and watch any kids from Minny come here to play ball instead of staying home. I mean IU is a nice campus, but bloomington isnt the Twin Cities. The weather here is sorta the same, not nearly as much snow and cold, but ice storms & thunderstorms just love that part of Indiana, and damn is it HOT on campus during the summer. My kid went to school with David Bell (Warren Central/Purdue WR) and to have him talk *&^#$* to Romeo Langford everytime he saw him at IU for losing HS basketball championship to a football player/athlete is fun to listen to. I am optimistic that here in the very near future minnesota HS players will see the GOPHERS as a team to play for. If you can play, someone will find you and find room on a roster, the rest is up to the player to make his/her future bright. Good luck to US all in this recruiting process and the season.

I think IU has a prettier campus and the weather is absolutely positively no comparison: win for IU. That said, I don't see why a local kid would bypass a very credible program with an excellent and thoughtful coach at UMTC for IU. He can do everything at the U and more.

Should stay home and win B1G championship with the local boys.

I'm not worried. We need 3 guys, we got 2 great guys and Pitino does a good job in spring recruiting. If Garcia comes here, it'll be incredible, if he doesn't, it's hardly something to worry about. We have a strong class already and with only one more spot to fill...that should be easy.

I'm not worried. We need 3 guys, we got 2 great guys and Pitino does a good job in spring recruiting. If Garcia comes here, it'll be incredible, if he doesn't, it's hardly something to worry about. We have a strong class already and with only one more spot to fill...that should be easy.

Yep. Would like to see another hometown kid stay home though.

I think IU has a prettier campus and the weather is absolutely positively no comparison: win for IU. That said, I don't see why a local kid would bypass a very credible program with an excellent and thoughtful coach at UMTC for IU. He can do everything at the U and more.

Your weather comment is debatable and a matter of personal preference. It is not a clear cut advantage to IU. Winters in the “in-between zone” where snow doesn’t stay around long enough to ski, snowmobile, etc. Can be miserable in their own rite. What is there to do outside? In addition, they get way more ice storms which are way worse than our snow storms. Yes, we get more days of below zero, but I would take our winter in a heartbeat over theirs. Now, if you spend your life inside all winter and don’t enjoy outdoor pursuits, that’s different.

On the flip side, I believe Minnesota’s summer beats anyone’s. It is rarely too hot here in the summer to enjoy being outside. I’ve travelled to 49 of the 50 states, and most of them south of us are just too stinking hot in the summer to enjoy, Indiana included. Bottom line: Minnesota wins. Go Gophers!

Heat without humidity is a different animal, it's just not comparable. But, Indiana is by no means dry in the summer.

Looking purely at temperatures, they have us beat hands down. Their average highs are above freezing all year. Oct-Apr they're solidly 7-10 degrees higher than us for the average highs. But in Jun-Aug, the average highs are only 2-4 degrees higher.

You make a case for why that might not be good in the winter, and it's a valid opinion, but I don't think many people will buy it.

You don’t have to go much south of the Twin Cities to experience how miserable winters can be above freezing. I’ve lived in western Wisconsin and Grand Forks, ND, but the coldest winters I’ve experienced were in Ames, IA when I was at ISU for grad school. 35 degrees and damp just plain sucks. The cold just cuts right through you.

Last edited:

I went to undergrad at Purdue and the weather was terrible -- snow would turn to slush during the day, freeze into ice at night, and repeat, every day, all winter. You'd either be walking in slush or slipping on ice. Give me warm weather all the time, or cold enough weather to have snow on the ground. Indiana has neither.

Indiana is in fricking Bloomington Indiana!

The one mall has Target and Dick's Sporting Goods as the anchor stores!

No Timberwolves showing up at your games.

no pro sports teams to see, nothing but a small farming town.

It has been a long time since Bobby Knight stopped coaching at Indiana.

They are to basketball what Nebraska is to football. They had a good run, but now they are just another rural college town school.

What if a kid thinks a place has a better campus, a better coach and a better program ?

Mr Sunshine. All. The. Time.

Pathetic. Go to the Wisconsin board.

For asking a question about what a kid might think instead of a fan ! I get it, the U has to be the greatest place on earth to all players. Offer some insight instead of only offering attacks.

For asking a question about what a kid might think instead of a fan ! I get it, the U has to be the greatest place on earth to all players. Offer some insight instead of only offering attacks.

Nope, not the greatest for everyone.

You consistently put down Mn.

Top Bottom