All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Can't believe we are departing if there is a roster spot for Dawson Garcia. Would you rather have a guy that averages 3.4 points per game on IPFW?
You must not read. He's not somebody's definition of a "5." Failure at two programs. Ergo, can't help.

How is that complete opposites. There is optimal or not optimal. Hahaha/

Again he is NOT a FIVE. This isnt some situation where we both have opinions of an unknown. He has failed at TWO teams. One in the BE and one in the ACC when trying to play some five. Both teams were better off when he left since he didnt fit as a consistent four at either.

I think the issue here for you is an all around lack of intelligence. I start with

1. Watching other college basketball games

2. Learning to read. I said take Dawson, but as a 4. So not sure why you are once again saying we should get him. Im not agruging that. I am arguing position fit, which you trying to argue just makes you look like you havent watched hoops.

3. This is the most glaring concern. Pick him up at the airport?? Dawson is going to fly from what? Prior Lake to Minnepolis?

Please respond intelligently.
Sounds like someone is a little pissy that Garcia left Marquette????? You're like the ex-girlfriend who likes to go online and bash the old boyfriend.....sad. He has "failed" (your words) at TWO teams? He averaged 13 ppg in the BE and 9 ppg in ACC.....love your definition of "failure"......if he was such a "failure" and the cause of the problems at UNC, why are they so interested in having him back? Is that an intelligent enough response for you?

As for picking him up at the airport? He may still have some stuff in Chapel Hill....I'd help him move too if need be. LOL

Any mobile and reasonably skilled guy at 6-9 250 is going to be a major upgrade in interior defense over the current squad.
I actually like our chances of finding someone like that. They're out there.

You must not read. He's not somebody's definition of a "5." Failure at two programs. Ergo, can't help.
that's probably an erroneous statement to say he "can't help". He's still got size. Whether he wants to play the 5 on defense is a question (would hope that TT can make progress there on the defensive end). Not all offenses need to have a "banger" inside on the offensive end. Regardless, you take him a heartbeat and he absolutely helps this team be better

Whatever we do with him, he would find playing time.
If he comes.

OK, I think people are sleeping a bit on Payne at the 5 (He could play at the 4). I'm not saying he's going to be Rudy Gobert in there, but he's 6-9 and about 235 right now. He has a really strong lower body and room for more lbs of muscle in his upper body. He may come in at 250. He's strong, quick, athletic, and I believe he's going to be a decent post defender in his first year. So if Johnson can't bring any other playable bigs for next year, Payne can deliver some effective minutes for you. I've seen enough players to know that this kid is going to be really good. Maybe not a star next year, but soon.
Is he gonna bring The?

Briefly catching up on this thread. Those who say Garcia isn't a 5 are absolutely correct...as are those who say you take him (if available) regardless.

It will be interesting to see what Dawson does. To go from the fringes of the NBA draft to kind of an uproductive season that ended prematurely with some tough family issues...what move really makes sense for him? Does he lock back in to the idea of being a college player for another year or two or try to start making some money as a pro somewhere? If he chooses college, what are the waiver options like? I would assume he wouldn't trust that he'd get the role he wanted at UNC next year given how things went this year. At this time last year, he was thinking NBA and now he's kind of got to rebuild his profile as a prospect.

I would think he could easily get a waiver to play right away here if he claims that he needs to be closer to home due to family illness.

Maybe not directly transfer related but I wonder if the war in Ukraine will have an effect on some kids that are mulling returning for another year or trying for a pro job overseas. I sure as hell wouldn’t be heading to Russia to play right now. There are teams all over the world but I would think it would have to cut down some opportunities.

Per Shooter:

It still looks like the Gophers could end up with 6-foot-11 Dawson Garcia, an incoming junior at North Carolina, if the former Prior Lake star enters the NCAA transfer portal to be closer to family.

Meanwhile, the Gophers are closing in on an impact point guard.

Go Gophers!!

Per Shooter:

It still looks like the Gophers could end up with 6-foot-11 Dawson Garcia, an incoming junior at North Carolina, if the former Prior Lake star enters the NCAA transfer portal to be closer to family.

Meanwhile, the Gophers are closing in on an impact point guard.

Go Gophers!!
Great news on both counts if true.....but it is Shooter so tough to get too excited until it comes from a more reputable source.

I would say we would be the top option if this is his list.

However he isn’t from Minnesota so we don’t want him.
He might want to be "the" guy at one of the other schools though. He's a solid player, but he's not a 30+ minute type of player in the B1G.

I don’t see it. Based on what?
Ihnen is full of potential: great size. length, wing span, athleticism. He has excellent shooting form.
He handles the ball well for someone his height. He has a jovial personality...somebody you can coach. He was a top 100 player in some rankings.
It is absolutely in there for him to be great! Just needs the right coach!
Based on potential Think Boye Mafe...first round NFL

He might want to be "the" guy at one of the other schools though. He's a solid player, but he's not a 30+ minute type of player in the B1G.
I would be excited about him just based on his seemingly good shooting, but I wonder about him losing playing time to Hunter who didn’t really seem that great either. But 42% from three is intriguing. Not sure about his defense and ability to help run an offense. He started for a #1 team for a good part of the year. And why isn’t there more power 5 programs interested?

Maybe not and I hope we nail a transfer great PG, however slim our chances. However, I'll take a kid that played 16 minutes a game for Purdue, handled the ball and had .5 turnovers per game. Take him, get another one and let them battle for the spot. Need 2 PGs and we currently have zero.

I would be excited about him just based on his seemingly good shooting, but I wonder about him losing playing time to Hunter who didn’t really seem that great either. But 42% from three is intriguing. Not sure about his defense and ability to help run an offense. He started for a #1 team for a good part of the year. And why isn’t there more power 5 programs interested?
🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫

Top Bottom