All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Maybe Pitino wanted Mitchell to hold off until Garcia makes a decision, but Mitchell didn't realize this until after he tweeted about making his commitment and Richard calling him frantically telling him not to do it haha

or let brady have a headline for a day

Maybe Pitino wanted Mitchell to hold off until Garcia makes a decision, but Mitchell didn't realize this until after he tweeted about making his commitment and Richard calling him frantically telling him not to do it haha

That's an interesting theory - similar to one suggested with Berry regarding Mashburn. But Id think we would take both Mitchell and Garcia.

What could be interesting is if they got some news from Muscadin or found out that Walton is going to take an official with us. Because I would imagine they have Walton higher than Mitchell on their board. If there is news this week on a Walton visit, then we likely have our answer.

That's an interesting theory - similar to one suggested with Berry regarding Mashburn. But Id think we would take both Mitchell and Garcia.

What could be interesting is if they got some news from Muscadin or found out that Walton is going to take an official with us. Because I would imagine they have Walton higher than Mitchell on their board. If there is news this week on a Walton visit, then we likely have our answer.
Ryan James says they would take both Mitchell and Garcia, for whatever that's worth

Maybe Garcia is looming large?

Ryan James says they would take both Mitchell and Garcia, for whatever that's worth

Yes, but I guess if they have feedback from Walton that he is still seriously considering us, do they put a hold on Mitchell to wait for Walton? I'd guess yes and that they know Mashburn's decision and have a solid picture of where they stand with Garcia. Otherwise, i don't see any reason for potentially having commitments delayed by players who are done taking visits (Berry and maybe Mitchell now).

Yes, but I guess if they have feedback from Walton that he is still seriously considering us, do they put a hold on Mitchell to wait for Walton? I'd guess yes and that they know Mashburn's decision and have a solid picture of where they stand with Garcia. Otherwise, i don't see any reason for potentially having commitments delayed by players who are done taking visits (Berry and maybe Mitchell now).
I hate to speculate on here, especially if potential recruits are reading. (Martice, we would love to have you be a Gopher and everyone here thinks you'd be a great fit in the program and the city!) We'll see what happens

For as much as I want Walton there is a point where you need to show serious interest.

I hope we arent telling recruits to hold off. Risky business

No concerns here. Pitino knows one in the hand is better than two in the bush. I think Mitchell and Mashburn are both Gophers. That class would then need Garcia.

For as much as I want Walton there is a point where you need to show serious interest.

I totally agree with you. My speculation is only based on the premise that the staff has received some information from Walton on his plans.

No way ..is Pitino holding off Mitchell...get real people. Garcia is visiting Indy at the end of month...

I totally agree with you. My speculation is only based on the premise that the staff has received some information from Walton on his plans.

Walton is really big on that UNC visit, plus he has not closed the door on Arizona or OSU.

No way ..is Pitino holding off Mitchell...get real people. Garcia is visiting Indy at the end of month...

Exactly and Mitchell would know if his offer is commitable or not before he makes a decision date a commitment video. It’s not like Pitino wouldn’t tell him

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Bossi is the bible . Now fans have to do the most difficult thing for them to do, be patient. Few have even seen him play. He has a long way to go. The good news is he has the tools and the desire to do the work. Love to make use of the redshirt on this one.

per Marcus:

Before Martice Mitchell leads one of the top high school teams in the state of Illinois his senior season, he wanted to pick a college basketball program best suited to utilize his versatility at 6-10.

The four-star Chicago Heights Bloom High forward announced his decision Monday to be the first commitment in the Gophers’ 2020 recruiting class.

Mitchell, ranked as high as No. 125 in the country and the No. 3 senior in Illinois by 247Sports.com, picked Minnesota over Rutgers. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino has now landed a four-star recruit in six straight recruiting classes, dating back to 2015.

“I think they’re getting a hidden gem,” Mitchell’s mentor, trainer and AAU coach Aubrey DeNard said. “He’s a late bloomer, as far as how good he’s going to be. He’s going to be one of the best guys in the country by the end of this year. He’s very versatile. He can shoot the three, put it on the floor and post up.”

http://www.startribune.com/four-sta...ommits-to-richard-pitino-s-gophers/562475012/

Go Gophers!!

Great pickup. Starting 2020 off right with a 4-star recruit. Let's go!!!

Do not redshirt a guy unless he is useless...risk of grad transferring out is too risky

A four-star, another four-star...and then a five-star? Who's in for that?

I’m all in!

If we get Mashburn Thursday then things really begin to heat up. Landing Dawson would be like an early Christmas gift. Go Pitino!

Do not redshirt a guy unless he is useless...risk of grad transferring out is too risky

What about how UW, Villanova and UVA used them not only to help the player (always the players choice) but to build a program based on development and experience and then become conference champs, final 4 qualifiers and or National Champs, NBA rookie of the year, high draft picks. Not about useless, it is about maximization. Every kid i am covering in that group was much more sought after and further along than Mitchell but not far enough along in strength,stamina, skill refinement.

What about how UW, Villanova and UVA used them not only to help the player (always the players choice) but to build a program based on development and experience and then become conference champs, final 4 qualifiers and or National Champs, NBA rookie of the year, high draft picks. Not about useless, it is about maximization. Every kid i am covering in that group was much more sought after and further along than Mitchell but not far enough along in strength,stamina, skill refinement.

Agreed. Anytime you can get a kid to buy into and believe in a redshirt year, it's beneficial for both parties normally. This case would be one of those a he is still learning his body and needs to add strength. Also have a little bit of depth that's can hopefully allow for it if Oturo doesn't go pro.

This is very similar to Ihnen. High high potential guy, but not much of a contributor for next 2 years

Agreed. Anytime you can get a kid to buy into and believe in a redshirt year, it's beneficial for both parties normally. This case would be one of those a he is still learning his body and needs to add strength. Also have a little bit of depth that's can hopefully allow for it if Oturo doesn't go pro.

This is very similar to Ihnen. High high potential guy, but not much of a contributor for next 2 years

I'd say you're jumping the gun quite a bit to assume Ihnen wont be "much of a contributor for next 2 years." Extremely hot take.

I'd say you're jumping the gun quite a bit to assume Ihnen wont be "much of a contributor for next 2 years." Extremely hot take.

Correct, contributor was a poor choice of words. Meant high impact/ starter

Top Bottom