All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

BarnBurner

All boards will have posters who have varied opinions. Built brings one here with respect and isn't a troll like the eddy springs dude or just a negative Nancy like DPo

And Built takes unneeded shots at Pitino all the time. His intentions are not as pure as you seem to believe.

Zeppelin Gopher

That’s not necessarily a fair stat. Wisconsin has a bunch of MN kids who are “walk one” or were not offered. Even Davison wasn’t as high a priority as others. Carlson they won fair and square. Be more alarmed that they didn’t make go after a Davison over a Wright.
I don't blame Pitino for prioritizing Wright over Davison. McKinley is clearly a better player and he's also not a dirty nut puncher.

Zeppelin Gopher

Pitino can still and Garcia and Walton and hit a home run in recruiting in state. He can still land Garcia and some combination of Berry/Sibley/Mashburn Jr, etc and hit a home run in recruiting overall. If he fails to land both Garcia and Walton, that's an absolute failure. You simply cannot explain having 5 top 100 kids in your state and not landing any of them. There is not combination of players the Gophers are currently connected to talent wise that would make up for missing Suggs, Garcia, Dainja, Walton, and Carlson. The best case scenario is still possible, but the worst case scenario is too.

As for Pitino versus Gard, nobody can argue Pitino is better. We had Murphy and Coffey last year while they had Happ and? Reuvers or Davison as their second best player? Wisconsin finished 14-6. The Gophers? 9-11. The previous year the Badgers lost both Trice and King for the entire season. They were predicted to finish behind the Gophers before their injuries. Their second best player that season was definitely Davison who was outside the top 100 recruits on most lists and was just a Freshman. They had two walk-ons regularly appear in games. They finished the year 7-11 in the B1G. The Gophers lost Lynch, Curry and Amir Coffey only played in 5 conference games but had Jordan Murphy and Nate Mason for the entire season . The Gophers went 4-14 and won just 2 games without Amir and Reggie. So many excuses were made for the Gophers on here, but they had more left than Wisconsin...and finished 3 games behind them.
This is a rock solid post.

Even as a Pitino supporter and a HUGE Badger hater, how can this be argued?

salzie

I'm happy I don't have defend Davison court antics. Ruevers appears to be nice piece, but not great. Badgers and builts special season ended up bounced, in what round?

Every gopher fan knows WI has been a much better program. Built constantly reminding us is annoying, but he's giving his opinion and entitled. Him trying spin Gaard inherited a mess is laughable however. Gaard was bos lead recruiter, one shaped roster too. GG let's see how his career plays out

This isn't sky falling, MN is in on several recruits. Let's play things out before we panic.

This is important year for Richard. He's seat should be warm.

Last edited:

bga1

This is a rock solid post.

Even as a Pitino supporter and a HUGE Badger hater, how can this be argued?
It was a really good post by EG- however I would take exception with one thing. Let's say we don't get Walton or Garcia, but we do get Sibley, Muscadin, Mashburn and Berry. That would be a very, very good class and likely a top 25 class. That's a failure? I want Walton and Garcia badly and think they would fit great here. The Gophers have recruited them hard. What more can you do if a kid wants to go elsewhere?

As to Gard, he is the better coach at the moment, because he has the better track record. That may change.

goldenboy

For the first time, I have explored the “ignore” feature on the forum for some notable posters and, what do you know?? This thread now actually reads like a 2020 recruiting thread!

builtbadgers

This is true of any commit from anywhere to mostly anywhere. Kids choose relationships and where they think they are developed the best. Remember it is always easier to see flaws in home state than others because you’ve experienced and seen the failures.
For anyone sensitive to Pitino criticism you may want to skip the tweets in james twitter.

All boards will have posters who have varied opinions. Built brings one here with respect and isn't a troll like the eddy springs dude or just a negative Nancy like DPo
You mean like you on Buckyville tonight trolling? I question your origins around here. A Buckyvillian in disguise I suspect. Manderson1984 is a Badger fan like me!

builtbadgers

Come on builtbadgers. Specifics.
Felt he picked the best program and coach that offered. Those two things were not close. Loved the feel of a winning culture. They were as prepared in all the right ways that a family could be for knowing what to look for. They asked a ton of thoughtful questions. More than that they have literally seen the last 6 years play out in front of Ben's formative years. Wise to remember that the family really understands the game. Not going to give exact quotes as that will not serve anyone. He made the best decision for himself. No big deal. Last year Oturu made the best decision for him. He had other priorities. The bummer on Carlson is he is a 4 year kid, very versatile, very smart.

You mean like you on Buckyville tonight trolling? I question your origins around here. A Buckyvillian in disguise I suspect. Manderson1984 is a Badger fan like me!
First time I’d visited and notice one my posts got some traction. Went on to explain the purpose as it was being misconstrued. I am a gopher fan first but have met Greg Gard and have a high level of respect for him as a coach. I tend to like coaches over programs with the exception of the gophers.

WindyCityGopher

Felt he picked the best program and coach that offered. Those two things were not close. Loved the feel of a winning culture. They were as prepared in all the right ways that a family could be for knowing what to look for. They asked a ton of thoughtful questions. More than that they have literally seen the last 6 years play out in front of Ben's formative years. Wise to remember that the family really understands the game. Not going to give exact quotes as that will not serve anyone. He made the best decision for himself. No big deal. Last year Oturu made the best decision for him. He had other priorities. The bummer on Carlson is he is a 4 year kid, very versatile, very smart.
Built, you seem to have the ear of several recruits and their families as an apparent advisor during the recruiting process, and in other posts you’ve referenced providing recommendations to them on coaches and programs. So here’s a question: have you ever recommended Pitino and the U of M to a Minnesota recruit (or one from elsewhere) when asked?

Let’s see. Fundamentally sound player and Caucasian. Chooses Wisconsin over Minnesota. Sounds about right. Is there something I’m missing?

Time to move along...