All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Bossi's Best: Ten prospects that teams need to keep in-state

Chet Holmgren

Who needs to keep him home: Minnesota

The competition: Holmgren has yet to put out any defined list or specify leaders, but Arkansas, Baylor, Iowa, Kansas, Florida, Gonzaga, Memphis, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio State and many other big-name programs are chasing.

Why he’s so important: One of the most unique prospects in the country regardless of class, the Gophers would hate to see Holmgren become the next five-star prospect to leave the state. The fan base is desperate for a breakthrough with an elite talent, and in Holmgren we are talking about a player who has ties to the program and would generate tons of interest thanks to his 7-foot size and guard-like skills.

Go Gophers!!

It's not hard for me to believe that some of these guys may not want to be showcased and have all the light on them. Less pressure as just one of the crowd versus being "the" guy.

100% agree. At Duke, Matt Hurt is just one of a bunch of 5 stars. He would have been viewed as a savior here - much more pressure. Only one d1 program in the state so the whole basketball community is focused on UM. Same with Kerwin - much less pressure at UNC.

per Evans:

Arguably the most unique prospect in the sport, Chet Holmgren has seen his offer list expand in recent days, with Auburn, LSU, Michigan and USC entering the picture. The Minneapolis native has already taken official visits to Gonzaga and Ohio State and both remain in a solid spot with him. Gonzaga has left a great impression, thanks to its past work with bigs like him, and the Zags' chances have only been enhanced by the fact that they hold the commitment of his former school and travel teammate,
Jalen Suggs

The in-state Minnesota Gophers are strong contenders, too, thanks to their proximity to him and because his father played for the program in the 1980s. Georgetown, Memphis and North Carolina are three schools that Holmgren could potentially visit in the fall, but a commitment is not expected until some time next year.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Meanwhile, Suggs’ teammate at Minnehaha Academy this year, 7-foot Chet Holmgren, who’ll be a senior next fall and is in high pursuit by Gonzaga, already is on the G League radar.

Go Gophers!!

Holmgren will get a massive offer to play in the G League I'm sure and if it even remotely works out for the kids going for it this year, I'd be surprised if that wasn't the route he ultimately takes.

The kid - based on my opinion so don't ask for evidence - seems very driven by the NBA but feels like one of the kids (becoming a much greater population it would seem) that just has zero interest in college basketball even for a year.

Put me in the camp that would be surprised if he played anywhere in college, let alone Minnesota. Spending time hoping he'll sign here is a bigger waste than the likes of Jones, Hurt, Trent, Suggs and Vaughn

It's not hard for me to believe that some of these guys may not want to be showcased and have all the light on them. Less pressure as just one of the crowd versus being "the" guy.
Yea, the NBA is full of players that are afraid of taking on the challenge of being a player that their team can count on. That is exactly what they look for in a first round pick.

Yea, the NBA is full of players that are afraid of taking on the challenge of being a player that their team can count on. That is exactly what they look for in a first round pick.

Honestly of all the sports, it seems like the NBA cares very, very little about a player's personality and work ethic.

James Wiseman literally quit on his team as a freshman and will be a top-five pick.

LaMelo Ball shut it down in Europe after an injury that he very easily (based on rumors) could've returned from, but didn't because of his stock (not competitive fire or whatever) and will be a top-five pick.

How many other guys are in that exact same camp? Every year, there are guys who want to play less because the more they get seen, the less upside they are perceived to have and the more their game will get picked apart. Being a mystery is a good thing as an NBA prospect.

per Joe:

Latest Predictions For Top Prospects

Chet Holmgren, C, Minnehaha Academy (Minneapolis, MN)

Holmgren told 247Sports' Evan Daniels that he took official visits to Gonzaga and Ohio State and made an unofficial trip to Georgetown before travel restrictions were put in place.

A handful of other programs have met with the 7-footer from Minnesota in video conferences.

Minnesota faces a tough task to keep him in state because of how much interest he has received from elsewhere. Gonzaga, North Carolina and Ohio State are among the schools bidding for Holmgren that have had more success recently than the Golden Gophers.

However, Richard Pitino has shown the ability to keep a premier big man in state and develop him into a potential NBA draft pick. Pitino landed Daniel Oturu as a 4-star prospect in the class of 2018, and he turned into one of the most menacing paint players in Division I.

Holmgren is on a different level than Oturu was, and he would be the highest-ranked prospect landed in the Pitino era. The No. 2 prospect revealed the Golden Gophers are one of six programs that have been chasing him heavily lately.

It is going to take a tremendous effort by Pitino and his staff to fend off some of the best recruiters in the business, but they can win over Holmgren with the allure of achieving success in his home state.

Prediction: Holmgren remains home with Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

Latest Predictions For Top Prospects

Chet Holmgren, C, Minnehaha Academy (Minneapolis, MN)

Holmgren told 247Sports' Evan Daniels that he took official visits to Gonzaga and Ohio State and made an unofficial trip to Georgetown before travel restrictions were put in place.

A handful of other programs have met with the 7-footer from Minnesota in video conferences.

Minnesota faces a tough task to keep him in state because of how much interest he has received from elsewhere. Gonzaga, North Carolina and Ohio State are among the schools bidding for Holmgren that have had more success recently than the Golden Gophers.

However, Richard Pitino has shown the ability to keep a premier big man in state and develop him into a potential NBA draft pick. Pitino landed Daniel Oturu as a 4-star prospect in the class of 2018, and he turned into one of the most menacing paint players in Division I.

Holmgren is on a different level than Oturu was, and he would be the highest-ranked prospect landed in the Pitino era. The No. 2 prospect revealed the Golden Gophers are one of six programs that have been chasing him heavily lately.

It is going to take a tremendous effort by Pitino and his staff to fend off some of the best recruiters in the business, but they can win over Holmgren with the allure of achieving success in his home state.

Prediction: Holmgren remains home with Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

Puff, puff, pass.

I am curious why some posters think there is no shot at getting Holmgren ?
I've always got the faith until they commit elsewhere. But specifically with Holmgren there seems like a little more to back up that he could end up a Gopher

I've always got the faith until they commit elsewhere. But specifically with Holmgren there seems like a little more to back up that he could end up a Gopher
Understood, wanted to know why some say no chance. I know he loves Gonzaga but what are people's adamant stance on why he will not pick here.

Understood, wanted to know why some say no chance. I know he loves Gonzaga but what are people's adamant stance on why he will not pick here.
Agreed. Judging on our recent history w/ MN kids seems like to me.

Probably for the same reasons you reiterate about pitino and the current state of the program. Only chance he comes here is staying home/dad played here as viable reasons that would give us the edge.

Some people just always assume the worst. Holmgren will be very tough to keep home, but there is always a chance with a hometown kid. Especially when they are a legacy recruit and just watched a guy like Oturu develop into a first round talent.

Last edited:

Agreed. Judging on our recent history w/ MN kids seems like to me.
It's because there are a lot of negative people on here. Holmgren will be very tough to keep home, but there is always a chance with a hometown kid. Especially when they are a legacy recruit and just watched a guy like Oturu develop into a first round talent.
You think people posting negatively on here is the reason locals have not come here ! They would not list that as a top 100 reason.

You think people posting negatively on here is the reason locals have not come here ! They would not list that as a top 100 reason.

I'm saying that the people who are convinced he won't come are negative people, not that negative attitudes are the reason he won't come.

I'm saying that the people who are convinced he won't come are negative people, not that negative attitudes are the reason he won't come.

I would think a realistic viewpoint of the world is not a negative viewpoint and is actually the preferred way to look at things.

I'm pessimistic on Holmgren staying here for a multitude of reasons.

First, he's a top-three nationally rated recruit. Getting him means he's picking us over Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Gonzaga and all the college basketball royalty schools. When we can't beat schools like Marquette, Texas and Wisconsin for locals, it's hard to imagine beating the brand-level schools.

Yes, maybe there's some value for some prospects seeing a player like Oturu come here and develop into an NBA prospect but Holmgren is going to be a top-5 pick. He doesn't need a school to develop him into a prospect. Perhaps that helps us in the sense that he's already in position to stand out and doesn't need a Kentucky or Duke to highlight his game, but I tend to think kids would rather play for brand schools like those ones if it's only going to be for a year.

The second cause for pessimism is that now beyond simply having to beat out the brand schools for a year of his services, the NBA G-League pathway program is actively recruiting and trying to poach high-end players. Holmgren is exactly the type of player that this program will probably target and if it works out well for the kids going there this year (Jalen Green is the big one), Holmgren will probably have an opportunity at almost a million dollars to take that option. I've said before, based on my opinion, he strikes me as a kid who doesn't have a strong desire to play college hoops (not actively against it but just more driven by the NBA than college), so I think there's a real chance he doesn't play college hoops at all.

So if the three options are:
1. Blue Blood School/championship contender
2. 750K in the NBA pathway program
3. The Gophers

I don't believe the Gophers sit in a good position to secure his services.

I'm pessimistic on Holmgren staying here for a multitude of reasons.

First, he's a top-three nationally rated recruit. Getting him means he's picking us over Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Gonzaga and all the college basketball royalty schools. When we can't beat schools like Marquette, Texas and Wisconsin for locals, it's hard to imagine beating the brand-level schools.

Yes, maybe there's some value for some prospects seeing a player like Oturu come here and develop into an NBA prospect but Holmgren is going to be a top-5 pick. He doesn't need a school to develop him into a prospect. Perhaps that helps us in the sense that he's already in position to stand out and doesn't need a Kentucky or Duke to highlight his game, but I tend to think kids would rather play for brand schools like those ones if it's only going to be for a year.

The second cause for pessimism is that now beyond simply having to beat out the brand schools for a year of his services, the NBA G-League pathway program is actively recruiting and trying to poach high-end players. Holmgren is exactly the type of player that this program will probably target and if it works out well for the kids going there this year (Jalen Green is the big one), Holmgren will probably have an opportunity at almost a million dollars to take that option. I've said before, based on my opinion, he strikes me as a kid who doesn't have a strong desire to play college hoops (not actively against it but just more driven by the NBA than college), so I think there's a real chance he doesn't play college hoops at all.

So if the three options are:
1. Blue Blood School/championship contender
2. 750K in the NBA pathway program
3. The Gophers

I don't believe the Gophers sit in a good position to secure his services.
Thanks for a well thought out post. Duke and Kentucky have not offered yet. He is such a unicorn and a possible brand target at a school like that. Financial guys think Zion increased his brand by 50 million by going to Duke over Clemson or South Carolina. Chet is not a Zion but he is incredibly unique.

Thanks for a well thought out post. Duke and Kentucky have not offered yet. He is such a unicorn and a possible brand target at a school like that. Financial guys think Zion increased his brand by 50 million by going to Duke over Clemson or South Carolina. Chet is not a Zion but he is incredibly unique.

I wholeheartedly agree that going to college has value when it comes to building a brand or increasing your potential earnings down the road - something those who demand players be paid and think the college experience has zero value seem incapable of acknowledging. There's no way Zion would've been the sensation he was entering the league after 12 games of G-League pathway play instead of 25 games on ESPN and nightly attention playing for the team covered the most comprehensively in the college basketball world from year-to-year.

Will Holmgren (and likely his camp) see things this way? Who knows. My faith in kids has dwindled in that regard especially in the instant gratification world we live in, but perhaps Holmgren is different.

I wholeheartedly agree that going to college has value when it comes to building a brand or increasing your potential earnings down the road - something those who demand players be paid and think the college experience has zero value seem incapable of acknowledging. There's no way Zion would've been the sensation he was entering the league after 12 games of G-League pathway play instead of 25 games on ESPN and nightly attention playing for the team covered the most comprehensively in the college basketball world from year-to-year.

Will Holmgren (and likely his camp) see things this way? Who knows. My faith in kids has dwindled in that regard especially in the instant gratification world we live in, but perhaps Holmgren is different.
There are not that many that are marketable at that age and Zion was off the charts. The other elite kids see so many things that they like about going to brand schools. I actually could care less about one and done kids but i see why they pick a place that gives them a chance at a national title, tons of huge TV games and you have had Labron and Kobe bragging on coach K for 20 years.

So is that how much Duke paid him? Wow, did realize it was that much.

Top Bottom