All Things 2016 Gophers Fall Camp Thread - Tweets, Video and More

per Joe:

Gophers linebacker Cody Poock was a full participant in Tuesday's practice, with his ankle injury healed. Second-string tackle Chad Fahning was back from his ankle injury, and tight end Brandon Lingen (shoulder) continues to look like he's one step from being full-go again.

But there were a long list of players in orange non-participation jerseys, including these projected starters: DE Gaelin Elmore, S Damarius Travis and WR Eric Carter.

Other notables in orange included: WR Melvin Holland Jr., WR Adam Mayer, RB James Johannesson, TE Colton Beebe, TE Duke Anyanwu, TE Nick Hart, T Nick Connelly, LB Carter Coughlin and CB Coney Durr.

http://www.startribune.com/cody-poock-returns-with-ankle-healed-several-others-nicked-up/390327501/

Go Gophers!!

I agree. It's also a pretty common thing for a player to emerge as an upper classmen.

It also wouldn't surprise me since there's a new OC. Any time there's a new coach, personnel changes are possible. It could be due to just giving players a fresh look or the new coach valuing certain skills/abilities more than the previous one.

For those who have made it to camp, who has really stood out on offense as freshman? Also, with all of the great things I have heard about Tyler Johnson, is going to see significant playing time this year, or will he get a redshirt? I understand this is all speculation and at the end of the day our opinions mean squat, but just wondering.

For those who have made it to camp, who has really stood out on offense as freshman? Also, with all of the great things I have heard about Tyler Johnson, is going to see significant playing time this year, or will he get a redshirt? I understand this is all speculation and at the end of the day our opinions mean squat, but just wondering.

Tyler Johnson, Mark Williams

It also wouldn't surprise me since there's a new OC. Any time there's a new coach, personnel changes are possible. It could be due to just giving players a fresh look or the new coach valuing certain skills/abilities more than the previous one.
Also, a new OC can be looking for a different skill set, at certain positions, than the previous OC.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Woli, Still, and Smith would make for some big WRs out there. Rough on DBs. Our receivers are practicing against one of the best defensive backfields in the country.

I've only been to one practice, but I was very impressed with TE Ko Kieft.

I've only been to one practice, but I was very impressed with TE Ko Kieft.

Met this parents at the spring game and they couldn't have been more complimentary of the program and Ko's excitement for getting here. Glad to hear he is doing well.

I agree. I've been impressed with Smith every time I have seen him practice. It's also a pretty common thing for a player to emerge as an upper classmen.

Neither AJ Barker or David Cobb did anything until their JR seasons.

Exactly!! Ideally u don't want to have to play many freshman or sophomores ... Junior and senior surprises should happen every year.

Woli, Still, and Smith would make for some big WRs out there. Rough on DBs. Our receivers are practicing against one of the best defensive backfields in the country.
They do have some impressive size in their receiving corps, Gentry, Holland, Register and Wozniak are also huge targets.

I agree. I've been impressed with Smith every time I have seen him practice. It's also a pretty common thing for a player to emerge as an upper classmen.

Neither AJ Barker or David Cobb did anything until their JR seasons.

Yes, when guys get a chance to see the playing field some of them will do great things. Guys who never get a chance never do anything.

From what Mike Grimm said on KFAN yesterday, IMO there is zero chance Tyler Johnson red-shirts. Sounds like he is already getting snaps with 1st and 2nd team. Now injuries have played a role, but the kid is a complete stud. We'll know soon as Claeys has said a depth chart will be out 10 days before first game.

Tyler Johnson, get him the football.

From what Mike Grimm said on KFAN yesterday, IMO there is zero chance Tyler Johnson red-shirts. Sounds like he is already getting snaps with 1st and 2nd team. Now injuries have played a role, but the kid is a complete stud. We'll know soon as Claeys has said a depth chart will be out 10 days before first game.

Remember the Randy Ratio, there should be a Tyler Johnson ratio but not advertised. He is just to good an athlete not to get the ball in his hands. He is going to be a big time difference maker for the Gophers. I have been saying that since he signed, not tooting my horn, I just see so much potential in this kid to be a great player.

per Joe:

But there were a long list of players in orange non-participation jerseys, including these projected starters: DE Gaelin Elmore, S Damarius Travis and WR Eric Carter.

Other notables in orange included: WR Melvin Holland Jr., WR Adam Mayer, RB James Johannesson, TE Colton Beebe, TE Duke Anyanwu, TE Nick Hart, T Nick Connelly, LB Carter Coughlin and CB Coney Durr.

http://www.startribune.com/cody-poock-returns-with-ankle-healed-several-others-nicked-up/390327501/

Go Gophers!!

This may have been mentioned already, but is it possible that Duke will play college football? I know that he has had terrible luck with his health.

Remember the Randy Ratio, there should be a Tyler Johnson ratio but not advertised. He is just to good an athlete not to get the ball in his hands. He is going to be a big time difference maker for the Gophers. I have been saying that since he signed, not tooting my horn, I just see so much potential in this kid to be a great player.
After I saw him play basketball in person it was evident he just had that wow factor athletically that made you think this kid could be special.

per Shama:

Gophers linebacker Jack Lynn talking about college football publications predicting his team will finish fifth in the seven-team Big Ten West Division: “It’s just fuel in our fire. We know in the locker room what we have to do to be successful. You just take it from there.”

Lynn, a senior and one of the Gophers leaders on defense, mentioned running back Kobe McCrary first when asked about offensive players who have impressed during August practices. He likened the junior college transfer to former Gopher power runner Rodrick Williams.

McCrary, a junior, could be the Gophers No. 2 running back for their September 1 home game against Oregon State. Redshirt sophomore Rodney Smith, who was second on the team in rushing yards last year, looks certain to be No. 1.

“Some of the things I’ve seen Rodney do in camp so far have been unbelievable,” said Gophers senior quarterback Mitch Leidner. “The cuts he’s made, the catches he’s made. …He’s a tough physical runner. I think really the rest of those running backs can really look up to Rodney…what he’s doing right now.”

The Gophers need breakthrough help at wide receiver and Lynn has been impressed with redshirt sophomore Melvin Holland Jr. “He’s looking good,” Lynn said. “He’s coming out and competing every day. He’s gotten a lot better since even this spring.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

ummm, I like our DBs, but no.

per Sid:

Gophers to watch

If you're looking for a Gophers player who could surprise this year, look at linebacker Nick Rallis. He had only 18 tackles last year, but 13 of those, including three tackles for loss, came in the final two games of the season.

Meanwhile, there was an interesting note on Gophers cornerback Jalen Myrick, whom NFL.com recently ranked as the fastest player in the Big Ten. Myrick was first brought to the Gophers' attention by former Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith. Smith and Myrick share a mutual friend, who contacted Smith to ask him if he would share Myrick's tape.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-rookie-joel-stave-is-getting-up-to-speed/390521881/

Go Gophers!!

I can't post it while I'm at work but I saw on twitter earlier today that the BTN will be at the Gophers practice tomorrow. My guess is they show the Gophers preview tomorrow night then?

I think they said on last nights show they would air Minnesota on Monday

Is the scrimmage tomorrow open to the public and if so where and when does it take place?

Closed to the public last I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom