All about the Minnesota Golden Gophers: An Oregon Ducks fan guide to the Big Ten Conference

Gopher Way would be much easier to use on the East Bank if it crossed Washington. I don't think I ever used it over there. We used it all the time on the West Bank during bad weather.
Wash Ave was heated in the winter when I was there...

Since this has devolved into naming famous Minnesotans... they missed Tay Zonday, whose "Chocolate Rain" was one of the first Youtube viral videos. Born in Minneapolis, he was in the University of Minnesota's American Studies Ph.D. program when he had this massive hit.

Since this has devolved into naming famous Minnesotans... they missed Tay Zonday, whose "Chocolate Rain" was one of the first Youtube viral videos. Born in Minneapolis, he was in the University of Minnesota's American Studies Ph.D. program when he had this massive hit.

Never knew that he was from Minnesota. My kids played that song quite often when it came out. It was a catchy tune, but I quickly tired of hearing it everyday.

Other notables from/at University of Minnesota were:

Norman Borlaug, Father of the Green Revolution. Had the rare achievement of Nobel Prize and Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Walter Heller, top economic advisor to President Kennedy and then Johnson.

The U's economics department has been prestigious including the more recent economics view of rational expectations and modern analysis.

It's going to be strange playing Oregon outside of El paso
I don't think the games against the old Big 10 schools will be that strange. A few decades ago it was normal for PAC and Big schools to play at least one OOC against the opposing conference. Games that will be strange are games like playing a league game against Rutgers, that feels weird.

The Gophers have played Washington 17 times. That is 4th in most played NC team, behind Iowa State, pre-2011 Nebraska & North Dakota.

Last edited:

Wash Ave was heated in the winter when I was there...
It was definitely not by the time I was there in the 90s...plus the indoor part smelled really bad so we all walked outside anyway. Wasn't fun in the winter.

It was definitely not by the time I was there in the 90s...plus the indoor part smelled really bad so we all walked outside anyway. Wasn't fun in the winter.
The outside of the Washington Ave. bridge on a winters day is still, bar none, the coldest place on the face of the planet.

Top Bottom