After watching the Giants-Skins Game I no longer blame Weber

Brew_recruit

Reaction score
The commentators were saying how Cambell has had something like7 different offensive coordinators with basically 7 different systems since he started college, and that it was basically impossible for him to be successful under these circumstances. Then they said that Peyton has had the same system since day 1 in the NFL and that is one of the reasons he has been so great, and if he had the same offensive coordinator shuffle that Cambell has had he would not be nearly the same qb. Weber has had to learn 3 systems in 3 years plus learn college classes, so now I can finally see why webber sucks. He was put in a no win situation.

Weber has had to learn 3 systems in 4 years (RS: Mason, FR: Dunbar, So: Dunbar, Jr: Fisch). I think it has made an impact and it was part of the reason why I cut him slack with zeroing in on Decker early in the season. However, towards the end of the season, he was messing up on basic reads and basic throws, along with committing mistakes that you are taught not to make in HS (Int vs. SDSU comes to mind). This could have been a product of Weber losing a lot of confidence. However, I really think he just was never as good as some of us (myself included) thought he was.

Look at his Big 10 stats, even during his Soph. season, he was very unimpressive. I hope i'm wrong, but I think Weber's problem is that he really isn't that good.

It certainly has been a tough year for Adam: a new and complex offense, the injury to his favorite/best target, and changing his throwing motion. I still think he could be the QB we envisioned, though it is certainly worth our while to look at all available options.

Mason recruited Weber to be a Mason offense QB. A game manager. Hand off the ball all game and every once in a while throw a deep pass to a wide open TE off play action, or a back shoulder fade to a receiver. Point is that Mason could get by with an average or even below average QB in his offense. Not so much in a Brewster offense, with either coordinator. He wasn't brought here to be a great QB and he won't be. He just can't make the necessary reads or throws to succeed consistently in a system that requires him to do more than hand it off and make only two or three types of throws. Gray, or Alipate, on the other hand, were recruited to make plays, and I think either one of them would prove to be much better than Weber.

Mason recruited Weber to be a Mason offense QB. A game manager. Hand off the ball all game and every once in a while throw a deep pass to a wide open TE off play action, or a back shoulder fade to a receiver. Point is that Mason could get by with an average or even below average QB in his offense. Not so much in a Brewster offense, with either coordinator. He wasn't brought here to be a great QB and he won't be. He just can't make the necessary reads or throws to succeed consistently in a system that requires him to do more than hand it off and make only two or three types of throws. Gray, or Alipate, on the other hand, were recruited to make plays, and I think either one of them would prove to be much better than Weber.

Agreed, Weber would have been a great QB handing off to Maroney/Barber/Russell/Etc. and then also being a threat to run himself and then throw the ball to Spaeth or Wheels every once in awhile.

Weber is not the QB for a pass happy team.

Now most of this I will buy into and the main point, being who recruited Weber and what he had in mind when doing so, really hits the target. My honest opinion is that if you look at Weber's backups the last three seasons you will find the reason for his continuing starting role a lot faster than if you examine his accomplishments / stats.

The commentators were saying how Cambell has had something like7 different offensive coordinators with basically 7 different systems since he started college, and that it was basically impossible for him to be successful under these circumstances. Then they said that Peyton has had the same system since day 1 in the NFL and that is one of the reasons he has been so great, and if he had the same offensive coordinator shuffle that Cambell has had he would not be nearly the same qb. Weber has had to learn 3 systems in 3 years plus learn college classes, so now I can finally see why webber sucks. He was put in a no win situation.

You just figured this out? Gotta love it when people blindly think one thing then a commentator says something and the sheep follow.

Here are Adam Weber's stats:
Year....rushing......passing......td.........int......comp pct

2007.....617..........2895.........24.........19........57.5%
2008.....233..........2761.........15.......... 8........62.2%
2009....-135..........2321.........12.........14........51.6%

You can see how much he has fallen off this year. His best yardage stats were as a freshman, with 3512 yards of total offense. His sophomore season saw a nice drop in his interceptions and at the same time, he increased his completion percentage nicely, up to over 62 per cent. His total offensive output has dropped significantly each year. He went from roughly 3500 yards in 2007 to 3000 yards in 2008 to an abysmal 2200 yards this year.

This year was a disaster for Adam. His rushing yards were way down, literally 750 yards less than his 2007 totals. His TD's decreased to just 12 while his interceptions went up to an unsatisfactory 14. Also, his completion percentage dropped way down, to just over 51 per cent.

We have beaten this one to death. Weber didn't all of a sudden get to be a lousy QB and this season's woeful offense wasn't all his fault. He dropped way off though and I think if he starts posting similar numbers next year, you have to yank him and give someone else a chance. He is a senior next year and he needs to put up better numbers because he is out of excuses and out of time. The numbers he put up this year simply aren't good enough to keep the job and I would think that if he posts garbage numbers like these next year, Brewster will be forced to yank him for good. Gray had better be getting ready just in case!!

Top Bottom