After Second Round NFL Draft

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
{Revised to include 2nd round} The early rounds of the NFL draft reflect how the game is played today. Positional imbalance, as rules favor one style of play over others, is the rule. The tally, AFTER THE 2ND ROUND:

Edge: 12
CB: 11
WR: 8
OT: 7
DT: 6
TE: 6
QB: 4
RB: 3
C: 3 (JMS 2nd taken)
G: 2
LB: 1
S: 0

Kind of light on QBs, but 3 of first 4 picks were QBs, indicating importance.

Finally some IOL guys go in the 2nd round. What is the deal with safeties? Not one off the board yet. Only 3 RBs drafted after three full rounds, which explains in part why Mo might have trouble getting drafted. Not a key position anymore. Football is a passing game, now. If you are a college coach who wants your offensive players to be drafted (I realize that there are other goals, such as winning!), you had best dedicate more than 30% of your offensive plays to the passing game.

Finally, the pros are a lot more on-board with using TEs than Gopherholers. Way more. TEs are a big feature in the pro game.

Last edited:

I'm truly interested to see where the Badgers linemen, Tippmann, goes in comparison to JMS. I can't get over what I assume is perception and how linemen are ranked. Tippmann never finished higher than honorable mention all conference in the B1G, so 3rd best center in the conference, at best. Yet, he's projected as the 2nd or 3rd best center in the draft by almost all mocks. I know a lot of things go into that ranking, but it just seems wild he could potentially go ahead of a 1st team all american as an honorable mention all conference player.

I'm truly interested to see where the Badgers linemen, Tippmann, goes in comparison to JMS. I can't get over what I assume is perception and how linemen are ranked. Tippmann never finished higher than honorable mention all conference in the B1G, so 3rd best center in the conference, at best. Yet, he's projected as the 2nd or 3rd best center in the draft by almost all mocks. I know a lot of things go into that ranking, but it just seems wild he could potentially go ahead of a 1st team all american as an honorable mention all conference player.
It is odd but college performance does not always translate. Mo was a top 5 back possibly in the country and probably won’t get drafted.

It is odd but college performance does not always translate. Mo was a top 5 back possibly in the country and probably won’t get drafted.
It will be interesting to see how many RBs actually get drafted. Not the priority position it once was.

Top Bottom