Adding Nebraska has been the Big Ten's worst mistake in its history

Nebraska has a great and devoted fan base. I’ve been to several games there (sister in law is a season ticket holder) and if there is one thing that Nebraskans love its their Cornhuskers. But for as passionate as they are, they always treated me and other opposing team’s fans well. Our program/fans should take some notes from them and their overall success. They are “down” right now but I don’t agree that they weren’t a good add to the conference.

In general from what I've seen MN fans are good hosts. Some IA fans get a little pissy with the who hates Iowa chant though

I tried to thank few SDSU fans on their way out, they wanted nothing to do with it. Too pissed with the L. Stubbs was fun after, neither fan base was happy

People talk about Nebraska being a "horrible" research school and that is absolute garbage. They are still a very highly regarded research university. The reason the AAU kicked them out is because the hospital is a separate campus and they do not count USDA sponsored agricultural research. They were and are a good fit, even if they didn't bring 100 million TV's like Rutgers and Maryland. I'd argue culture-wise a much better fit than Rutgers or Maryland.

Does it really matter?

No one cares about anyone being a "research" school except those of us that have terrible sports programs. Conferences are all about sports and money.

Gophers are a charter a member of the B1G, we're not getting kicked out. MN is very successful in B1G athletics overall, it's just the important ones we struggle with. Academically MN is superior to Nebraska. MN is upper half, on par with Wi just behind NW and Michigan

Again, doesn't matter what you do in other sports. Football and men's basketball are what matters.

The other sports are money drains, not adds. More people watch those 2 also than they do all the others combined. Academics is nice and actually really what is important in life. However, it doesn't make much difference if your school
is crap if your athletic department is fantastic. The money will flow in heavily by having a nationally prominent athletic department much quicker than it will for having great academics.

Nebraska was a great add IMO.

Don't get the love affair with Pitt here though. They are a nothing school and nothing athletic department, similar to what we have towards the middle to bottom half of the Big Ten, which is where they would preside had they come here.

Rutgers is just garbage to me. The only thing they are good for is a guaranteed win in almost every sport. Nice to just have to show up and win with your eyes closed, but they really water down the conference IMO.
I can see how adding Missouri would make sense. Pretty good athletics and they "fit" geographically. As a state though, Missouri ranks towards the bottom for me. Kinda dumpy nothingness down there.

Nebraska has a great and devoted fan base. I’ve been to several games there (sister in law is a season ticket holder) and if there is one thing that Nebraskans love its their Cornhuskers. But for as passionate as they are, they always treated me and other opposing team’s fans well. Our program/fans should take some notes from them and their overall success. They are “down” right now but I don’t agree that they weren’t a good add to the conference.

Agree, by far the best traveling fans I have met at The Bank.

So can we all agree that G4L's (MnplsGopher's) OP was a pretty crazy take and that Nebraska is likely a net benefit for the Big Ten?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

So can we all agree that G4L's (MnplsGopher's) OP was a pretty crazy take and that Nebraska is likely a net benefit for the Big Ten?

I'm happy Nebraska is in the B1G.

Does it really matter?

No one cares about anyone being a "research" school except those of us that have terrible sports programs. Conferences are all about sports and money.

I know what you mean the Gophers lately have won the Big Ten point standings in all sports.

Good discussions. That’s about as much as I can ask for, on here.

Thanks to all who submitted opinions.

I like it, but I live in Nebraska too. However, I grew up in Wisconsin (a Badgers fan, I know ugh) but I grew up watching the badgers and huskers a lot. To me it seemed like a natural fit especially based on Midwest “nice” and location in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, big shock that G4L/Mnpls had a garbage take :rolleyes:

Buttger's should be kicked out of the conference. They bring nothing to table in all sports.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

We need to accept the work that Delaney did to get the broadcast contracts where they are, and Rutgers and Maryland were a big part of that. Maybe North Carolina and UVA might have been better i some ways, but it worked out, and when it came down to the $$$ Ruters/ Maryland was best.

I like Nebraska a lot as part of the Big Ten and my trip the Omaha/ Lincoln a year ago cemented that belief. If it worked Missouri would have been OK as well, but that train left the station when they went to the SEC.

Q: What does the 'N' on the side of the Nebraska football helmet stand for?
A: knowledge

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I loved the add when they joined, and I love it now. And one of these years - maybe even in 2020, Husker football is going to be a behemoth again.

Rutgers brings a huge market (potential), another eastern program for Penn St (it strongly desired), and major research. Nebraska has brought none of that.

Rutgers and Maryland brought a lot of easy coast television sets to Big 10 network. Nebraska, although a rural state with a small population, is considered a national brands. Even though they've been mediocre for ages, that stadium is full and TV sets are tuned in.

Top Bottom