Adding Nebraska has been the Big Ten's worst mistake in its history

maroonfive

I have no problem with Nebraska. Great atmosphere but they are never going to be what they were. We have so many advantages over them. We should beat them on a consistent level.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
To the best of my knowledge, and I've lived all over the country, BTN is part of every just normal sports package. It doesn't matter where I live. I have an apartment in PA, and basic cable does not include BTN, but the sports package includes BTN. It's the EXACT same way in California. It's been that exact same way in every other place I've lived.

Also, more people probably watched last night's game (at least the first couple quarters) than all of the Rutgers games combined. Nebraska has generated more big games than Rutgers has and it's not even close.
The number of "Big Games" it provides is meaningless.

The battle BTN had up front was getting on the right number of cable sports packages as necessary to make BTN happen.

Does the West Coast care about the original Big 10 teams? Not enough to include on a sport package.
Add Penn St... okay, getting close.
Add Nebraska... okay, now we're getting phone calls that it needs to be an option. They had to get that percentage high enough in all of these non-Big Ten areas to make it a national brand, and adding Nebraska did that.

Spoofin

Worse than adding Rutgers?

I'd gladly swap out Rutgers (or even Nebraska) for Missouri.
I haven’t read anything but the thread title, but my thoughts exactly. Adding Rutgers and Maryland both was a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maroonfive

At the time I wanted Missouri and Kansas instead of Maryland and Rutgers, and I still do!
Maybe. The divisions would be different but they would make great easy road trips. I really have no desire to go to New Jersey or Maryland.

hungan1

Missouri would have been my pick. Nebraska is within our geographical neighborhood.

Nebraska fans travel well. Let them bring all that moolah to spread around town. The Twin Cities must be a favorite destination. I would not be surprised if a lot of Cornhusker alumni settled here in the Twin Cities.

mkAz

I don't have any issues with Nebraska being added. A bigger mistake was dividing the conference into 2 divisions.

MnplsGopher

I see this continually brought up but not sure it matters that much for...sports.

Wisconsin was smoked by Ohio State 59-0 a few years ago and hasn’t really been competitive on a national level in terms of CFP. They can stay?

These things ie program success are cyclical. Nebraska dumped a pretty good coach, brought in Mr Rogers and are still recovering. Michigan is still recovering from the RichRod and Hoke eras. Ohio State will (probably) not always be the top team in the conference. Look at FSU, Florida, Clemson, USC...things change, worsen, improve.

Nebraska is bad right now but may not be bad forever. Fair to hate their coach and program.
My argument is that being as good as Iowa would not be good enough for the Big Ten to add them. They would've been rejected. They added them because they thought it was going to be Ohio St level of program.

The Big Ten says research and academics matters when selecting schools. Nebraska superficially met the bar, on the surface, because they were in the AAU at the time.

Now if the Big Ten one day adds a school like Oklahoma, we'll know that academics/research mean absolutely jack ___ to the conference "brand".

MnplsGopher

To the best of my knowledge, and I've lived all over the country, BTN is part of every just normal sports package. It doesn't matter where I live. I have an apartment in PA, and basic cable does not include BTN, but the sports package includes BTN. It's the EXACT same way in California. It's been that exact same way in every other place I've lived.

Also, more people probably watched last night's game (at least the first couple quarters) than all of the Rutgers games combined. Nebraska has generated more big games than Rutgers has and it's not even close.
The BTN's negotiating rule has always been, to the best of my knowledge, that all cable systems in Big Ten states (states that have a Big Ten school) must carry the channel on the normal tier (same tier as ESPN), or else they can't carry the channel at all. For other states, it can be in a special "sports package" or other add-on tier.

Could have changed by now, or perhaps in the future, as traditional cable/sat will continue to hemorrhage subscribers.

But in the previous era (before cord cutting/streaming), that was how it was supposed to work, hence adding New Jersey and Maryland/DC was huge. Nebraska, not so much.

All of that is completely independent of ratings. Ratings are obviously good, and important, but when the BTN is carried on a system, it commands a per subscriber monthly fee/payment, regardless if that subscriber ever tunes in the channel or not.

Ratings mainly matter for advertising.

MnplsGopher

The OP is wrong.

Nebraska was a great add to further bolster the Big Ten's national brand.
It was necessary and has paid great dividends.

Nebraska fans are passionate, but more importantly, they are dispersed through several large markets including Chicago. In the building of the BTN, passionate fans like Nebraska were needed to get the larger, nationwide exposure.

Rutgers can be ripped on for many reasons, but getting on all the TV's in NJ and maybe more in NY has definitely paid off, as has MD in the DC area.

The Big Ten is the largest national brand of any college conference despite the football not being of the level of the SEC, or the basketball being equal to the ACC.
But adding Nebraska was needed greatly to provide more western and central / southern exposure.

Nebraska coming to the Big Ten got the entire Big 12 country watching Big Ten football because Nebraska was either loved or hated. Just like if OSU or Michigan changed conferences now, the rest of the Big Ten would watch to hope they sucked.
This is a good and valid hypothesis. Would love to test if it really did work out the way you think it did, or if it currently does.

Regardless, you can't deny: with each and every season that clicks off, and Nebraska football doesn't matter ..... the cachet from the 90's/early 2000's tarnishes further and further.

MnplsGopher

Swap out Rutgers for Syracuse and the expansion is fine.
By that time though, I think the ACC was under lock and key.

If we were talking at the time Nebraska was added, in theory we could've approached any school in the ACC or the (old) Big East. Syracuse would've been an interesting one that probably was considered, but ultimately didn't get the top ranking. I bet Penn St would've liked to have an old "rival".

MnplsGopher

The number of "Big Games" it provides is meaningless.

The battle BTN had up front was getting on the right number of cable sports packages as necessary to make BTN happen.

Does the West Coast care about the original Big 10 teams? Not enough to include on a sport package.
Add Penn St... okay, getting close.
Add Nebraska... okay, now we're getting phone calls that it needs to be an option. They had to get that percentage high enough in all of these non-Big Ten areas to make it a national brand, and adding Nebraska did that.
Again, it's a valid hypothesis.

People on the west coast care about Nebraska? Why? Maybe in the late 90's/early 2000's, there are some people who think Nebraska is a great program.

Goldteam

Nebraska fans were just like Penn State fans..........they thought they would take over the Big 10

I've enjoyed the carnage myself.

Goldmember

Swap out Rutgers for Syracuse and the expansion is fine.
In football, Syracuse and Rutgers will both regress to roughly the same mean.
But Syracuse will still be located in Upstate New York, while Rutgers is an hour outside of Manhattan in one of the highest income areas in the Western Hemisphere.

cjbfbp

Yes, and two (Playstation Vue and Youtube TV) of the three most popular TV streaming packages have BTN.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Again, it's a valid hypothesis.

People on the west coast care about Nebraska? Why? Maybe in the late 90's/early 2000's, there are some people who think Nebraska is a great program.
Nebraska fans don't stay in Nebraska because they don't want jobs as agronomy managers.

They get degrees in other fields and end up moving to Denver, Mpls, Chicago. Some go further west and further south.