Abner Dubar Leaving

The secondary worries me to the point that even a "hasn't seen the field yet" player leaving still kind of worries me.

Kind of figured they’d lose a player or two after spring practice. I wish him well.

That’s too bad. Hate to lose a young player like that. He played a fair amount in the spring game. Likely wouldn’t have seen a ton of action this year though.

Kind of figured they’d lose a player or two after spring practice. I wish him well.
Indeed. I'm surprised we didn't lose the QB who's fourth on the depth chart, as well as one of the linebackers. I guess we still could.

A guy who looks up and figures that he's not going to play for the second year in a row is going to leave these days. Not a bad thing. That's why you look to bring in your own transfers every year.

If I was 4th on the depth chart, I'd finish my degree at the U first and then transfer, even if it means one more year on the bench that I could be playing elsewhere. My reasoning would be that I'm probably not going pro, so getting my degree from the U will be way more valuable than some hybrid-degree with some classes from a great school like this and some classes from some small school that isn't known for academics.

If I was 4th on the depth chart, I'd finish my degree at the U first and then transfer, even if it means one more year on the bench that I could be playing elsewhere. My reasoning would be that I'm probably not going pro, so getting my degree from the U will be way more valuable than some hybrid-degree with some classes from a great school like this and some classes from some small school that isn't known for academics.
Dubar is a 2020 guy so he probably has multiple years left before he would get his degree. And as for the going pro part, while that might be true as most guys don't go pro, the majority THINK they are going to go pro so they are going to look for the best opportunity to get there.

Outside say the ultra elite schools, how many people are going into programs where someone is really looking for "University of Minnesota" on the resume?

Dubar is a 2020 guy so he probably has multiple years left before he would get his degree. And as for the going pro part, while that might be true as most guys don't go pro, the majority THINK they are going to go pro so they are going to look for the best opportunity to get there.
Sorry, I was referring to the post about being surprised our #4 QB hasn't transferred. I'm not sure if that's Kramer or Clark, but I'd think they realize they probably aren't for the NFL. Heck, some question whether Morgan will get drafted, and he's way way ahead of them.

As for Dubar, I can see him still having thoughts - he was clearly pretty sought after in high school and still has 4 years of eligibility left - I'd wanna start too.

Outside say the ultra elite schools, how many people are going into programs where someone is really looking for "University of Minnesota" on the resume?
I think a degree from the U of M carries way more weight then a mixed degree. I'm a software engineer and I definitely think that the U of M's Computer Science degree carries far more weight than any other CSci degree in this state. So if two resumes came in, all other things being equal, I'd lean towards the U of M grad.

EDIT: I suppose if the athlete is just majoring in sports science or kinesiology and wants to go into coaching right after playing, then yeah, the U of M degree probably doesn't mean as much.

I think a degree from the U of M carries way more weight then a mixed degree. I'm a software engineer and I definitely think that the U of M's Computer Science degree carries far more weight than any other CSci degree in this state. So if two resumes came in, all other things being equal, I'd lean towards the U of M grad.

EDIT: I suppose if the athlete is just majoring in sports science or kinesiology and wants to go into coaching right after playing, then yeah, the U of M degree probably doesn't mean as much.
If you're blind hiring just based off the name of a school, and you're the only job anyone ever applies to I guess that makes sense ... but I think it becomes way less important as everything else IRL gets factored in. And is Abner even in the CS program?

If you're blind hiring just based off the name of a school, and you're the only job anyone ever applies to I guess that makes sense ... but I think it becomes way less important as everything else IRL gets factored in.
I'll agree. After 5+ years of working in the real world, I'll be way more interested in asking questions about that and the degree won't have the same effect (or is it affect, WriterGoph?). I just think entering the work force with a U of M engineering or Carlson School of Management degree gives a nice leg up.

Indeed. I'm surprised we didn't lose the QB who's fourth on the depth chart, as well as one of the linebackers. I guess we still could.

A guy who looks up and figures that he's not going to play for the second year in a row is going to leave these days. Not a bad thing. That's why you look to bring in your own transfers every year.
I’ve said before that I wouldn’t be at all surprised if none of the QBs leave. I think people are overblowing how likely kids are to transfer due to playing time. We aren’t Alabama where we are asking four and five star guys to ride the bench for two or three years. The reality is if one of our backups enters the portal, the pool of schools interested is so much smaller, and even in that small pool they are still unlikely to start right away unless they go down to FCS. Look at the guys that have transferred so far this year, none of them are walking into starting gigs at P5 schools. Also when these young guys do leave I feel like we all assume it is because of playing time, but could be any number of things. There’s plenty of regular students that transfer for a variety of reasons as well.

I’ve said before that I wouldn’t be at all surprised if none of the QBs leave. I think people are overblowing how likely kids are to transfer due to playing time. We aren’t Alabama where we are asking four and five star guys to ride the bench for two or three years. The reality is if one of our backups enters the portal, the pool of schools interested is so much smaller, and even in that small pool they are still unlikely to start right away unless they go down to FCS. Look at the guys that have transferred so far this year, none of them are walking into starting gigs at P5 schools. Also when these young guys do leave I feel like we all assume it is because of playing time, but could be any number of things. There’s plenty of regular students that transfer for a variety of reasons as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone transfers ... but also not surprised if nobody does.

But I agree, most players on most teams really are there to go to school, see how things play out, and finish up and move on with life.

It will be interesting to see if Keonte Schad grabs a starting role at the other OSU. Other than him, I don’t see any others with P5 offers.

You never know truly how a recruiting class is going to pan out. It will be interesting if someone can look at each recruiting class and see how many in each class are still around in four years. Competition, fit, medical, lack of playing time, etc... all will change the picture of each recruiting class. If some of these young players have a little bit more patient, maybe they can get their degree paid for if they are not pro material. IMHO, for folks deep in the depth chart better think twice in jumping ship. OTOH, it can benefit the team in overall talent improvements. The Gophers got pluses for what they got from the Transfer Portal.

Top Bottom