Abe Woldeslassie on searching and mentoring in college basketball

GopherLady

Reaction score
I wanted to have someone non-biased on the GH podcast to talk about coaching searches in general; why search firms are used, contracts, the move from the NBA to NCAA (or vice versa) and how to get more diversity in coaching. Macalester College Head Coach Abe Woldeslassie is not only one of my friends, but so well respected in hoops and a great person to lay things out. Take a listen!

He is 15-35 as a head coach. His conference winning % is lower than Pitinos. Just adding some perspective.

He is 15-35 as a head coach. His conference winning % is lower than Pitinos. Just adding some perspective.
That's a rude comment to make. Perhaps you should look into the situation 1st - he took over a losing program. They don't have scholarships. They also have high academic requirements. If you saw Abe coach or talked to him, you'd see that he is extremely knowledgeable. Listen to the podcast, I bet you learn something.

I guy I talked who was an assistant there at one time said a 28 ACT they might be able to get you in and play. It may have changed a bit but not much if it did.

I guy I talked who was an assistant there at one time said a 28 ACT they might be able to get you in and play. It may have changed a bit but not much if it did.
Yeah, not as easy sell. D3 and these kind of requirements. I wouldn't have gotten in! 1615232577575.png

That's a rude comment to make. Perhaps you should look into the situation 1st - he took over a losing program. They don't have scholarships. They also have high academic requirements. If you saw Abe coach or talked to him, you'd see that he is extremely knowledgeable. Listen to the podcast, I bet you learn something.
You act as if I haven’t seen him coach? Lots of assumptions responding to a series of facts.
He also is coaching against teams without scholarships so I’m not sure entirely sure on the relevance of that part.
Mac is a tough place to win. Nice thing about hoops is you’re only 1-2 players away from being competitive.
Edit: I forgot you’re friends with him

Thats probably the best 2 year stretch any coach has had there, incredibly tough place to win at.

More often than not, small, private schools usually don't care that much about winning. Athletics are often used by them as a way to attract male students who want to be an athlete on campus and go someplace where they actually can play.

Facts are rude? Interesting take lol

Thats probably the best 2 year stretch any coach has had there, incredibly tough place to win at.
I went to high school with a kid that was the quarterback at Mac for two years, I don't think they won one game, if he wasn't the best college quarterback in Minnesota at the time I don"t know who was. He almost beat St John's with 180 lb guards and 200 lb tackles. Very hard to win there based on tradition and culture of the school.

No doubt. One of the tougher places in the conference. But he did take that job. I wish him well. Never good when a team never wins.

More often than not, small, private schools usually don't care that much about winning. Athletics are often used by them as a way to attract male students who want to be an athlete on campus and go someplace where they actually can play.

This is not true at all.

Alot of small private schools compete very well. Some of them at the D3 level are able to compete against D2 and hold their own.

Yes, there are a few like that Carleton, Macalaster, etc. that only take the very very top academic kids, but look around. There are lot of highly competitive private University athletic departments.

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed it. Way too soon to judge on win loss record.

I went to high school with a kid that was the quarterback at Mac for two years, I don't think they won one game, if he wasn't the best college quarterback in Minnesota at the time I don"t know who was. He almost beat St John's with 180 lb guards and 200 lb tackles. Very hard to win there based on tradition and culture of the school.
They have a culture of losing? 🤔

What year was this? The last two times they played SJU beat them by 40 and 49...that was 2000-2001. Don't remember Mac ever competing with St Johns in football.

Highly irrelevant to the topic. Abe has a perspective on the hiring process especially from a coach just getting a start. He also is more than qualified to talk about how college basketball works relationships with players and what matters.

He clearly shared some of the factors the AD is considering, and what weight falls on the shoulders of the AD when they make a decision.

Think a little.. or even better listen to the podcast.

Highly irrelevant to the topic. Abe has a perspective on the hiring process especially from a coach just getting a start. He also is more than qualified to talk about how college basketball works relationships with players and what matters.

He clearly shared some of the factors the AD is considering, and what weight falls on the shoulders of the AD when they make a decision.

Think a little.. or even better listen to the podcast.
I posted facts. You and others have got mad. Sad that you attack facts with emotions.

Top Bottom