A valid reason to be upset with Trump

GopherJake

Finally, one of the anti-federalists weighs in. I was waiting for that. Kudos for not being a complete hypocrite. I suspect that there are several in the bunch.

bga1

This should be a state's rights issue. If California wants to make 85 mpg the law for emissions, that should be their right & DC shouldn't be butting in.

Trump revokes waiver for California to set higher auto emissions standards:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/politics/epa-trump-california/index.html
It's complicated. The problem is, if California sets arbitrarily high standards, everyone across the country pays for them. So the decisions California is making are causing damage that is not restricted to California.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
It's complicated. The problem is, if California sets arbitrarily high standards, everyone across the country pays for them. So the decisions California is making are causing damage that is not restricted to California.
No doubt the devil is in the details. If it's not a danger to national security like immigration, or hurting anyone else like environmental things could, then I'm all for states rights.

How is California making everyone else pay for their stupid (my $0.02) policy?

GopherJake

Exhibit A. And had I been a betting man, whatever the low odds, I would have taken the bet. And won. But, of course, we all know that BGA is not a big C.

diehard

He revoked a waiver. That brings CA back within the law/regulation. Don't see that as a state's rights issue. California is a mess and headed for serious ramifications of their bad government.

GopherJake

He revoked a waiver. That brings CA back within the law/regulation. Don't see that as a state's rights issue. California is a mess and headed for serious ramifications of their bad government.
Honestly surprised at our NC school saving hero being a hypocrite on this one. But not totally out of character either. That a waiver is required in the first place, precludes the state having the rights to have **more stringent** (not less) rules. Of course.

bga1

No doubt the devil is in the details. If it's not a danger to national security like immigration, or hurting anyone else like environmental things could, then I'm all for states rights.

How is California making everyone else pay for their stupid (my $0.02) policy?
The automakers are not going to make vehicles just made for California- they are going to make them for everyone, so we are all going to pay. The California laws, while they are a state right, also limit individual freedom. It's just one more way the government is forcing behavior. And when a state forces a whole industry to move, then it affects everyone and everyone's freedom.

bga1

Honestly surprised at our NC school saving hero being a hypocrite on this one. But not totally out of character either. That a waiver is required in the first place, precludes the state having the rights to have **more stringent** (not less) rules. Of course.
Not surprising that the biggest jerk on the OTB has appeared to referee another thread, while contributing nothing- as per usual.

GopherJake

The automakers are not going to make vehicles just made for California- they are going to make them for everyone, so we are all going to pay. The California laws, while they are a state right, also limit individual freedom. It's just one more way the government is forcing behavior. And when a state forces a whole industry to move, then it affects everyone and everyone's freedom.
Logic fail from the lead hypocrite.

howeda7

They can stop selling cars in CA if they don't want to comply. Your principles will literally bend at the word of Trump. Shocking.

KillerGopherFan

I think California should be forced to live with their dumbassary. I don’t know if this is a state’s right issue, but California seems to only want to be a part of the US when it can use its influence to change the rest of the country or when they need Federal assistance.

KillerGopherFan

California is pretty low on any list of Federal dollar recipients relative to amount paid in.
That doesn’t mean that they spend money more effectively or efficiently. It’s about the use of Federal funds, not the contributions to the Federal government, of which we all benefit if used wisely.

jamiche

Not surprising that the biggest jerk on the OTB has appeared to referee another thread, while contributing nothing- as per usual.
Oh f**k, humble beggar! I thought I was your biggest jerk on the otb. Maybe it’s anyone who disagrees with you. Or.....maybe it’s.....you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TruthSeeker

States rights has nothing to do with this. We are in explicit Commerce Clause territory.

Anyway, Trump is trying to revoke the waiver, but he will fail. The law was written to give California a waiver if it exercised its waiver, which it has. There is no termination clause in the statute. To end the waiver, new legislation must be passed.

Trump is acting illegally and will lose this fight. He has been terrible on the environment. He tried to revoke laws and regulations, but they do it in dumb and illegal ways, which causes him to continuously lose the battle. This is no different.

howeda7

This is an extremely dumb fight for Trump to pick. Are there really a lot of people who were clamoring for this? Anyone at all?