A post with a few facts

benlaur

Reaction score
At MN and within the Big Ten, Pitino has 54 wins and 95 losses for a win % of about 36% against his peers while finishing on average in 9.5th place in the conference. That represents 8 years of conference games which is an adequate sample to remove “good luck” and “bad luck”.

Within the conference Pitino and Collins at NW are tied for 4th most tenured in the conference. He and Collins have very similar records and trail the big ten win percentage of the 3 more tenured coaches who are Izzo (MSU big ten win % of 68%), Fran McCaffery (IA big ten win % of 50%) and Turgeon (Maryland big ten win % of 57%).

Yeahbut, didja know if we'd made the tournament 2 more times in the last 5 years it would have been 4 of the last 5??

He gets credit for that, y'know.
I am not for or against Pitino. I am not sure what the administration's expectations are from him and I am not sure of any constraints they may have put on him. With that said, if you are looking at a long history of wins and losses, things are below average versus his peers according to the data.

Good luck and bad luck are judgmental. It is like always blaming refs for losing and never giving them credit for victories, which people always seem to do. "I win because of me; I lose because you."

If you are being fair-minded our current trajectory looks similar to our past. There does not appear to be an obvious inflection point upward or downward. If this is within the scope of what the admin wants and expects, they should retain him and if not, a change is in order.

I wish him and the team good luck either way.

With that said, if you are looking at a long history of wins and losses, things are below average versus his peers according to the data.

Well, duh. Will you give us a numerical analysis of the Timberwolves next to tell us that they are below average compared to their peers? Look, those of us who post here regularly live and breathe this stuff. We're not casual fans.

Well, duh. Will you give us a numerical analysis of the Timberwolves next to tell us that they are below average compared to their peers? Look, those of us who post here regularly live and breathe this stuff. We're not casual fa

Take it down a notch, I was trying to provide a little context. Pitino has been a coach a long time by current big ten standards.

Here is one of your recent posts: "Wow. Curry with another bad pass." Should we "duh" that one too?

Last edited:

Take it down a notch, I was trying to provide a little context. Pitino has been a coach a long time by current big ten standards.

Here is one of your recent posts: "Wow. Curry with another bad pass." Should we "duh" that one too?

To be fair it probably was a really bad pass. And in-game commentary is far different from starting a thread. In-game threads are more like sitting at the bar with your friends. Starting a thread is like sending out a new group text trying to find 3 people looking to work from home and make $1400 per week!

To be fair it probably was a really bad pass. And in-game commentary is far different from starting a thread. In-game threads are more like sitting at the bar with your friends. Starting a thread is like sending out a new group text trying to find 3 people looking to work from home and make $1400 per week!
Nah...keep the threads coming. The more opportunities for all of us to argue the better.

I'm just trying to class the place up a little!

Top Bottom