A new thought (I think): Blake at point

bigkahunaiii

Surfer Dude
Reaction score
Too many long threads lately. Can't read all the posts. So maybe this has been mentioned, but I think we'll see Blake at the point from time to time if Nolen is out for any length of time, and particularly if Cobbs and Joseph are having problems. He won't be particularly quick but he will be steady. I expect him to make good decisions.

Sorry, but this is never going to happen. Both Cobbs and Joseph are much better fits at PG than Blake. While Blake is a pretty good passer, his ball handling and speed leave much to be desired.

The Gophers are at their best when they are running and breaking, and Blake does not fit that mold at all.

Both Cobbs and Joseph are much better fits at PG than Blake.
Maybe, but that didn't stop Tubby from throwing Blake at the point a number of times both this season and last season.

He's not a natural PG, but if Devoe starts playing pass-it-to-the-other-team like he has more often than not, Hoff may have to spend some time at the 1.

While he isn't a speed demon nor penetrator like a traditional PG, he is at least steady and makes smart decisions with the ball.

Sorry, but this is never going to happen. Both Cobbs and Joseph are much better fits at PG than Blake. While Blake is a pretty good passer, his ball handling and speed leave much to be desired.

The Gophers are at their best when they are running and breaking, and Blake does not fit that mold at all.
Several times last year, when Tubby started Blake & Joseph in the same backcourt ... Blake played the lead guard role. Devoe is handling the ball much better this year though.

Blake can and has (with the Gophers) played point. I expect to see some two or three guard offensive sets on Sat.

He might not break peoples ankles, but I think he is a better ball handler than some people might think. He's definitely the next best option behind Cobbs and Joseph if Nolen is out.

He is fun to watch, just don't know why he doesn't try shooting off the dribble, he would be so much more devestating.

I had thought about this, but I just don't see it. They might use him in the half-court to start the offense, but I don't see him as the point in terms of bringing the ball up or running the break at all. He's steady with the ball and makes good decisions, but I don't think he has the physical tools.

I had thought about this, but I just don't see it. They might use him in the half-court to start the offense, but I don't see him as the point in terms of bringing the ball up or running the break at all. He's steady with the ball and makes good decisions, but I don't think he has the physical tools.

well said. Just what I would have written. He can't bring the ball up against an athletic team running a press.

Kalin Lucas would cause so many problems for Blake at the point, sorry, just wouldn't work.

Top Bottom