A MUST READ FOR THE CASUAL FAN!

balds

Reaction score
Football and Basketball make A LOT of money. The more money they make, the more money for EVERY other "Athletic" program at the University. The more money they make, the more money the University makes. The more money they make the more money the city of Minneapolis makes. The more money they make, the more money the state of Minnesota makes.

Why are we the select few that understand this simple proven concept?

Is your post the 'MUST READ'? Or do you have same awesome data, research you are alluding to but forgot to post?

That is my question also, pharmacy. The OP is certainly NOT a "MUST READ"

Football Revenue
Penn State Univ. $70,208,584.00
Ohio State Univ. $63,750,000.00
Univ. of Michigan $63,189,417.00
Univ. of Iowa $45,854,764.00
Michigan State Univ. $44,462,659.00
Univ. of Wisconsin $38,662,971.00
Univ. of Minnesota $32,322,688.00
Univ. of Illinois $25,301,783.00
Northwestern Univ. $22,704,959.00
Indiana Univ. $21,783,185.00
Purdue Univ. $18,118,898.00

Football Revenue Football Expenses Football Profit
SEC $49,900,780.92 $19,954,052.50 $29,946,728.42
Big Ten $40,578,173.45 $17,886,754.73 $22,691,418.73

What is included in expenses? A lot of expenses are hidden. For example, does it include debt service on facilities? Probably not. Does the general fund cover certain O&M expenses? Etc.

Dr. Don and the druggopher are right about the significance of this thread.

Football and Basketball make A LOT of money. The more money they make, the more money for EVERY other "Athletic" program at the University. The more money they make, the more money the University makes. The more money they make the more money the city of Minneapolis makes. The more money they make, the more money the state of Minnesota makes.

Why are we the select few that understand this simple proven concept?

Alert the media.

8:24 is a little early to be drunk, isn't it?

Just wasted precious moments of my life reading this thread.

Just wasted precious moments of my life reading this thread.

That's on you pulsar, not balds. He clearly said it was a MUST READ FOR THE CASUAL FAN. It clearly wasn't directed at anybody on here.

That's on you pulsar, not balds. He clearly said it was a MUST READ FOR THE CASUAL FAN. It clearly wasn't directed at anybody on here.

No I certainly understand that it wasn't directed at anybody in this forum. I'm just saying that this is common information that pretty much everybody with any sports knowledge has an understanding of. I don't know what balds considers a "casual" fan to be, but I don't think there are too many of them here in gopherhole that wouldn't know the money flow in regard to collegiate sports.

No I certainly understand that it wasn't directed at anybody in this forum. I'm just saying that this is common information that pretty much everybody with any sports knowledge has an understanding of. I don't know what balds considers a "casual" fan to be, but I don't think there are too many of them here in gopherhole that wouldn't know the money flow in regard to collegiate sports.

Uh, just an attempt at humor Should have included a simile. Would :cool::rolleyes::) or :cool03: have helped? :eek:

Or spelling your moniker correctly. Something that spell check REFUSES to let me do! :mad:

Uh, just an attempt at humor Should have included a simile. Would :cool::rolleyes::) or :cool03: have helped? :eek:

Or spelling your moniker correctly. Something that spell check REFUSES to let me do! :mad:

I effing hate spellcheck as well. It has lead to some very interesting text messages in the past. And it apparently doesn't like "smiley" either. :clap: God I never thought I would ever use one of those.

Is submitting a title that describes the content all that difficult?:confused:

I effing hate spellcheck as well. It has lead to some very interesting text messages in the past. And it apparently doesn't like "smiley" either. :clap: God I never thought I would ever use one of those.

I'm a lousy typist and not a Spelling Bee Champ either so I'm usually a BIG fan of spell check. You're right though, it's certainly not a fan of "variant spellings". Though can't blame spell check for that one. I'm just bloody stubborn.

"The variant spelling "smilie" is not as common,[1] but the plural form "smilies" is commonly used."

Here's a video for the casual fan:

Anyone read the letter to editor in the Strib recently suggesting that the University eliminate football and basketball, or at the least move to a smaller, more academic profile? Obviously that type of thinking has a significant foothold at the U. I don't think that a majority of "fans" appreciate how much a successful football and basketball team really do for a university. The egg heads at the U obviously don't understand it. Hey Women's hockey, do you want to play in the nicest arena in the country (at the time)? No let's build our own arena for WOMAN's hockey. Let's throw in an OUTDOOR college baseball facility in Minnesota. Basketball practice facility? ??

Anyone read the letter to editor in the Strib recently suggesting that the University eliminate football and basketball, or at the least move to a smaller, more academic profile? Obviously that type of thinking has a significant foothold at the U. I don't think that a majority of "fans" appreciate how much a successful football and basketball team really do for a university. The egg heads at the U obviously don't understand it. Hey Women's hockey, do you want to play in the nicest arena in the country (at the time)? No let's build our own arena for WOMAN's hockey. Let's throw in an OUTDOOR college baseball facility in Minnesota. Basketball practice facility? ??

Not. You need to dial it back. That mindset, though thoroughly within the liberal sport-hating political climate of this State, will not win as long as Kaler and Teague are in power. They understand the revenue sport-academic link. We will overcome the stupids. There is no foothold. Game set match.

Not. You need to dial it back. That mindset, though thoroughly within the liberal sport-hating political climate of this State, will not win as long as Kaler and Teague are in power. They understand the revenue sport-academic link. We will overcome the stupids. There is no foothold. Game set match.

I wish I shared your optimism. 5 years ago I was in your shoes. Still not even close to a practice facility.

I wish I shared your optimism. 5 years ago I was in your shoes. Still not even close to a practice facility.

You have to wonder what exactly Maturi told Tubby, as far as when a practice facility would be built.

It cracks me up that you refer to those eggheads as the stupids. I love watching football, and I love the gophers, and I'd cry if I heard that the Gophers were cutting out football, but at the same time, we all know that one of the reasons the south rules football these days is simply because they are, in general, less intelligent and sophisticated as us northerners are. Fb is a sport generally for the big beefcake with no brain. He bashes his body into an opponents body for other people's entertainment. Not exactly the kind of activity for the more intelligent half of society. It's bad enough that so many of us more intelligent types still love to watch the sport.
While we were supporting the civil rights movement and taking in blacks and sending them out to be dominant forces in the civil rights movement, and were sending out white folks who were also prominent in the civil rights movement, the south was supporting segregation, and were not in favor of recruiting blacks to play on their sports teams. The north has been economically dominant for decades upon decades. The north has been the home to what? 60-80% of the best colleges in the country, with most of the rest all out on the West Coast?

So it may be a stereotype, but I've lived down south, in Oklahoma and Louisiana, and its a fitting stereotype from my observations, and the stats and facts and evidence all seem to back up the stereotype as well.

So it is this HIGHER DEGREE of intelligence, in general, that led schools like Chicago to drop football, and teams like Harvard and Yale to deemphasize it. And it is this higher degree of intelligence that also has prevented, and probably always will prevent the north from coming close to producing the same level of talent as the south produces in football.

It is also this higher degree of intelligence that should prevail and allow football and basketball to continue at the Univ of Minnesota, because big time fb and bb are not going anywhere, and we've already got too much invested in the sports to drop or deemphasize them now. They are good money and free advertising for the U, especially if and when they do well.

But I find it hard to look too harshly at those who wish big time football would go away. Our society would be much better off without football. We truly would be. BB is less expensive to maintain and far less dangerous and harmful physically, so its a harder sell to make that we'd be better off without it.

What the Big Ten needs to do is allow this higher degree of intelligence to figure out a way to even the playing field some. Without resorting to adapting all of the obsessive practices and ways of the south. We are way too far behind for one, it would take far too long for far too little of a benefit, just to maybe catch up some. We need to do something more creative with more of an immediate impact, and expansion is the best option right now. At least enough to ensure we are bringing in the maximum amount of revenue as compared to expenses. The SEC can not survive all on its own. It needs conferences like the Big Ten and Pac 10 to survive and even thrive, so that its growing fanbases will have teams to beat. I think Delaney is making intelligent moves trying to expand our footprint and by bringing in schools that are apart of the AAU as well. Long term, if the SEC schools continue to focus more and more of their energies towards dominating in football, they may fall further behind in Research Dollars, where the REAL BIG MONEY really is. Maybe that is the Big Ten's plan?! Maybe it should be?! I'm not sure how College Athletics interacts or affects the rest of a University's mission, but if it were possible that it could distract a University from its first and most important mission, that could only help schools whose focus was in the right place.

The Big Ten needs to continue to expand eastward and southward. If we can get UNC, well, that would be a huge get for us. Virginia would be a decent get, as well as Georgia Tech, and I'd like to see us get Florida, but thats NEVER going to happen, so maybe Florida St? And 1 more western team like Kansas or Missouri would work out well when it came to dividing the conf up into divisions. Unless we stop expansion at 16? But I don't see us doing that. I honestly think that 20 is our end game. 20 teams, 4 divisions of 5 teams each, 4 team conf Championship tournament, with the winner gauranteed a spot in the 4 team Natl Title playoff.

But we have to fight this battle on our own terms. We can't totally change our ways to try to keep step with them. Not saying having Spring fb might not be a bad idea, but then again, how much would that hurt the baseball, golf, soccer, and track production? Baseball, golf and possibly soccer all pay pretty well if a person makes it in that sport, and all are much less harmful in the long term. I think we simply have to figure out ways of recruiting better, getting those southern athletes to want to come here.

Football Revenue
Penn State Univ. $70,208,584.00
Ohio State Univ. $63,750,000.00
Univ. of Michigan $63,189,417.00
Univ. of Iowa $45,854,764.00
Michigan State Univ. $44,462,659.00
Univ. of Wisconsin $38,662,971.00
Univ. of Minnesota $32,322,688.00
Univ. of Illinois $25,301,783.00
Northwestern Univ. $22,704,959.00
Indiana Univ. $21,783,185.00
Purdue Univ. $18,118,898.00

Football Revenue Football Expenses Football Profit
SEC $49,900,780.92 $19,954,052.50 $29,946,728.42
Big Ten $40,578,173.45 $17,886,754.73 $22,691,418.73

Well then by your logic, Michigan would be a better state to live than Minnesota (as would Ohio and Wisconsin), right? Or any of the states in SEC land would be better for it, right?

I'm not arguing that investments in the rev sports and (hopefully) winning won't bring more revenue in. I am a little skeptical that this extra revenue will be used in large part to drive down the athletic dept's budget deficit.. My guess is any gain in profit will largely (90-95%) be used to continue to invest in more facilities and coach's salary, with the university's subsidy level to the U remaining largely the same.

I also have not seen any tie between football/basketball(/hockey for us) winning and academic donations. Many studies have been shown that winning percentage (in general and a specific set of winning years) increase donations, but all of these donations are tied to athletics. The studies show that winning doesn't hurt academics donations or funding, but it doesn't help it, either. So it's not bad, it just doesn't have that link to academics. Sorry, I don't have links.

My point isn't to say CUT FOOTBALL, DROP TO DII!!! I'm just skeptical that we'll see the funding to the AD reduce drastically over the next 10-15 years and/or increase the number of sports we support. I haven't seen an AD master plan that says "we'll use TCF Bank and TV revenue to add Olympic sports to give more opportunities to athletes from the state of MN to compete."

Top Bottom