A hypothetical

Nomellini

Reaction score
If the Gophers had made it to Indianapolis to play Michigan, would it qualify as an opportunity to win back The Jug, or would it have to be a regular season game? I have attended several Michigan games at home and find the arrogance of their fans a little more nuanced than that which the over-the-top Hawkeye fans model. Since we don't play them so much anymore, my loathing of Michigan's fan base has somewhat abated. I want Michigan to crush Iowa.

1) i would think yes - we would have played for the jug

2) spent many years in Detroit and agree Michigan fans are painful but not even close to OSU fans - maybe recent history is a reason for that

That's a great question and I don't have an answer for it. I would assume only in season games but the Jug does have the score from every meeting between the teams. Maybe we could have won it back if we had made it.

I’m not sure the answer but if the answer is that you don’t play for the jug, they should change the answer

I don’t know if any specific rules about that.

I think it would be up to the teams to negotiate it.

But I think the jug should be up for grabs every game they play.

I suspect that PJ and Jim would agree on that it should be up for grabs anytime they play, they’re both competitors. I don’t know what the administrations would think.

Last edited:

I've heard that the Jug wouldn't be exchanged per the Big Ten, but there's nothing stopping both schools from putting it up and exchanging it if they chose.

It would be silly to not play for the jug. Especially since they don't play every year.....including this year. Wouldn't make any sense to not up the stakes.

How many threads on this do we need?

I've heard that the Jug wouldn't be exchanged per the Big Ten, but there's nothing stopping both schools from putting it up and exchanging it if they chose.
Fuck the Big Ten...if the teams agree then it goes.

Personally, I think trophy games are intended to be in regular-season play.

Here's one to ponder - let's say for sake of argument that the Gophers and Michigan meet in the regular season, and then they meet against in the Conference Championship game.

Do they play for the Jug in both games?

At least three more.
In all the others, it was pretty much established, based on when other teams with trophy games have played in conference championship games, that it would not be on the line.

Personally, I think trophy games are intended to be in regular-season play.

Here's one to ponder - let's say for sake of argument that the Gophers and Michigan meet in the regular season, and then they meet against in the Conference Championship game.

Do they play for the Jug in both games?
Yes

Top Bottom